Epson iscan scanner software doens't compile anymore

Hello everyone,

I am having trouble getting my “Epson Perfection V500 Photo” to run.

Epson does provide some rpms but the files are fairly outdated and I tried building from source:

The configure script seems to work fine but I am getting the following error when running “make”:

g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I../include -g -O2 -MT libimage_stream_la-basic-imgstream.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/libimage_stream_la-basic-imgstream.Tpo -c basic-imgstream.cc  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/libimage_stream_la-basic-imgstream.o
In file included from basic-imgstream.cc:34:
basic-imgstream.hh:55:10: fatal error: ltdl.h: No such file or directory
   55 | #include <ltdl.h>
      |          ^~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make[3]: *** [Makefile:409: libimage_stream_la-basic-imgstream.lo] Fehler 1
make[3]: Verzeichnis „/home/mwagner/Downloads/iscan-2.30.3/lib“ wird verlassen
make[2]: *** [Makefile:491: all-recursive] Fehler 1
make[2]: Verzeichnis „/home/mwagner/Downloads/iscan-2.30.3/lib“ wird verlassen
make[1]: *** [Makefile:388: all-recursive] Fehler 1
make[1]: Verzeichnis „/home/mwagner/Downloads/iscan-2.30.3“ wird verlassen
make: *** [Makefile:318: all] Fehler 2

I tried the support chat but they were no help at all and couldn’t give me an address or ticket system to file / report a bug.

I also posted this issue on the SANE-Mailinglist.

Does it compile fine on your systems?

Hi
The ltdl.h header is part of the libtool package, so install that and you should be good to go. I would surmise if you look at the config.log it may indicate there it’s missing…

Epson does provide some rpms but the files are fairly outdated

Why do you think so?

Well, it is the impression that I get when looking at their supported distribution list for the .deb and .rpm packages. Also the NEWS file contained in the source tarball mentions 2016 as last update.

I did try contacting the Epson support chat but the helpdesk agent wasn’t much of help either and the issue didn’t escalate to a higher support level. I wish they had a support-ticket system where I could file the error message and console output directly with Epson developers. For them it should be quite easy to fix this and release a new package.

The latest iscan is also from 2016…

I have the following set of packages:

erlangen:~ # zypper if iscan iscan-data iscan-plugin-gt-s650
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

Information for package iscan:
------------------------------
Repository     : @System                                               
Name           : iscan                                                 
Version        : 2.30.2-2                                              
Arch           : x86_64                                                
Vendor         : SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION                               
Installed Size : 1.4 MiB                                               
Installed      : Yes                                                   
Status         : up-to-date                                            
Source package : iscan-2.30.2-2.src                                    
Summary        : simple, easy to use scanner utility for EPSON scanners
Description    :                                                       
    Image Scan! is a graphical scanner utility for people that do not need
    all the bells and whistles provided by several of the other utilities
    out there (xsane, QuiteInsane, Kooka).

At the moment it only supports SEIKO EPSON scanners and all-in-ones.
    However, the scanner driver it provides can be used by any other SANE
    standard compliant scanner utility.

Note that several scanners require a non-free plugin before they can
    be used with this software.

Information for package iscan-data:
-----------------------------------
Name           : iscan-data                      
Version        : 1.36.0-1                        
Arch           : noarch                          
Installed Size : 263.3 KiB                       
Source package : iscan-data-1.36.0-1.src         
Summary        : Image Scan! for Linux data files
Description    :                                 
    Provides the necessary support files for Image Scan! for Linux,
    including device information and policy file generation logic.

Image Scan! for Linux will not function without this package.

Information for package iscan-plugin-gt-s650:
---------------------------------------------
Name           : iscan-plugin-gt-s650                         
Version        : 1.1.0-2                                      
Arch           : x86_64                                       
Installed Size : 265.2 KiB                                    
Source package : iscan-plugin-gt-s650-1.1.0-2.src             
Summary        : Plugin for the GT-S650 and Perfection V19/V39
Description    :                                              
    This plugin converts between the native protocol of the supported
    devices and the ESC/I protocol.  The latter protocol is supported
    by the SANE 'epkowa' backend, part of Image Scan!, and some other
    SANE backends.  However, only the 'epkowa' backend provides the
    hooks needed to use this plugin.

You only need this plugin if you have one of the following models:
     - GT-S650
     - Epson Perfection V19
     - Epson Perfection V39

erlangen:~ # 

I never experienced problems with my Epson Perfection V39.

That’s great but I am still having problems scanning slides and negatives with my Epson Perfection V500 Photo. Xsane mentioned an “invalid argument” as its error message and there is no console output.

Preview in the version of iscan I gathered from the Epson shell installer works for flatbed but not for the translucent unit when I set iscan to “Positive Film”. I gathered the iscan package for the Epson site but didn’t install the rpm and used the shell installer which didn’t work flawlessly either. It did unpack some rpms which I installed with “rpm -i package”.

I wish there was a way to get through to Epson developers and I am assuming it would be fairly straightforward for them to update the packages.

If anyone knows where to file bugs with Epson please let me know.

There is a newer package: https://download2.ebz.epson.net/imagescanv3/opensuse/latest1/rpm/x64/imagescan-bundle-opensuse-15.1-3.57.0.x64.rpm.tar.gz

I haven’t come accross this one yet, thanks! Will try that one then. How did you become aware of this?

iscan downloads - Google Suche :wink:

Okay then, thanks. Found the download page with the 15.1 packages too.

I am assuming that this package works fine in “Leap 15.1” but in “Tumbleweed” it gives me the following error:

sh install.sh 
Repository-Daten werden geladen...
Installierte Pakete werden gelesen...
Paketabhängigkeiten werden aufgelöst...
4 Probleme:
Problem: libboost_filesystem.so.1.66.0()(64bit) benötigt von imagescan-3.57.0-1epson4opensuse15.1.x86_64 wird nirgends zur Verfügung gestellt
Problem: libboost_filesystem.so.1.66.0()(64bit) benötigt von imagescan-3.57.0-1epson4opensuse15.1.x86_64 wird nirgends zur Verfügung gestellt

Lösung 1: imagescan-3.57.0-1epson4opensuse15.1.x86_64 nicht installieren
 Lösung 2: imagescan-3.57.0-1epson4opensuse15.1.x86_64 durch Ignorieren einiger Abhängigkeiten brechen

Wählen Sie aus den obigen Lösungen mittels Nummer oder Sie (u)eberspringen, (w)iederholen oder brechen (a)b [1/2/u/w/a/d/?] (a): a

Apparently there is a library missing or libboost has already gone beyond 1.66.0.

Edit: In case it is hosted at boost.org - they are at 1.70.0

zypper se -si boost
zypper se -si boost

S  | Name                           | Typ   | Version    | Arch   | Repository             
---+--------------------------------+-------+------------+--------+------------------------
i+ | boost-license1_62_0            | Paket | 1.62.0-2.1 | noarch | (Systempakete)         
i+ | boost-license1_63_0            | Paket | 1.63.0-3.2 | noarch | (Systempakete)         
i+ | boost-license1_67_0            | Paket | 1.67.0-2.3 | noarch | (Systempakete)         
i  | boost-license1_69_0            | Paket | 1.69.0-1.6 | noarch | openSUSE:Tumbleweed    
i  | boost-license1_69_0            | Paket | 1.69.0-1.6 | noarch | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Oss
i+ | libboost_date_time1_67_0       | Paket | 1.67.0-2.3 | x86_64 | (Systempakete)         
i  | libboost_date_time1_69_0       | Paket | 1.69.0-1.6 | x86_64 | openSUSE:Tumbleweed    
i  | libboost_date_time1_69_0       | Paket | 1.69.0-1.6 | x86_64 | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Oss
i+ | libboost_filesystem1_67_0      | Paket | 1.67.0-2.3 | x86_64 | (Systempakete)         
i  | libboost_filesystem1_69_0      | Paket | 1.69.0-1.6 | x86_64 | openSUSE:Tumbleweed    
i  | libboost_filesystem1_69_0      | Paket | 1.69.0-1.6 | x86_64 | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Oss
i+ | libboost_iostreams1_62_0       | Paket | 1.62.0-2.1 | x86_64 | (Systempakete)         
i+ | libboost_iostreams1_63_0       | Paket | 1.63.0-3.2 | x86_64 | (Systempakete)         
i+ | libboost_iostreams1_67_0       | Paket | 1.67.0-2.3 | x86_64 | (Systempakete)         
i  | libboost_iostreams1_69_0       | Paket | 1.69.0-1.6 | x86_64 | openSUSE:Tumbleweed    
i  | libboost_iostreams1_69_0       | Paket | 1.69.0-1.6 | x86_64 | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Oss
i+ | libboost_locale1_67_0          | Paket | 1.67.0-2.3 | x86_64 | (Systempakete)         
i  | libboost_locale1_69_0          | Paket | 1.69.0-1.6 | x86_64 | openSUSE:Tumbleweed    
i  | libboost_locale1_69_0          | Paket | 1.69.0-1.6 | x86_64 | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Oss
i+ | libboost_program_options1_67_0 | Paket | 1.67.0-2.3 | x86_64 | (Systempakete)         
i  | libboost_program_options1_69_0 | Paket | 1.69.0-1.6 | x86_64 | openSUSE:Tumbleweed    
i  | libboost_program_options1_69_0 | Paket | 1.69.0-1.6 | x86_64 | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Oss
i+ | libboost_system1_62_0          | Paket | 1.62.0-2.1 | x86_64 | (Systempakete)         
i+ | libboost_system1_63_0          | Paket | 1.63.0-3.2 | x86_64 | (Systempakete)         
i+ | libboost_system1_67_0          | Paket | 1.67.0-2.3 | x86_64 | (Systempakete)         
i+ | libboost_thread1_62_0          | Paket | 1.62.0-2.1 | x86_64 | (Systempakete)         
i+ | libboost_thread1_63_0          | Paket | 1.63.0-3.2 | x86_64 | (Systempakete)         
i+ | libboost_thread1_67_0          | Paket | 1.67.0-2.3 | x86_64 | (Systempakete)         
i  | libboost_thread1_69_0          | Paket | 1.69.0-1.6 | x86_64 | openSUSE:Tumbleweed    
i  | libboost_thread1_69_0          | Paket | 1.69.0-1.6 | x86_64 | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Oss

66 is missing…

you can install them from obs.

I noticed that as well. I thought filing a build request for this version might be a better idea. (Link)

Added repo:

erlangen:~ # zypper lr -uEP
#  | Alias               | Name                        | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh | Priority | URI                                                                            
---+---------------------+-----------------------------+---------+-----------+---------+----------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 2 | Packman             | Packman                     | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   90     | http://ftp.fau.de/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/                            
 5 | openSUSE-20191106-0 | openSUSE-20191106-0         | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss/                              
 8 | repo-non-oss        | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Non-Oss | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/non-oss/                          
10 | repo-update         | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Update  | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | http://download.opensuse.org/update/tumbleweed/                                
 1 | Application_Geo     | Application_Geo             | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |  100     | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Application:/Geo/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/
 3 | jalbum              | jalbum                      | Yes     | (  ) No   | Yes     |  100     | http://jalbum.net/download/software/yumrepo/                                   
 4 | myrepo              | myrepo                      | Yes     | (  ) No   | Yes     |  100     | dir:/home/karl/Downloads/myrepo                                                
 6 | opensuse-guide.org  | libdvdcss repository        | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |  100     | http://opensuse-guide.org/repo/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/                            
**11 | tmp                 | tmp                         | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |  100     | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/15.1/repo/oss/                  **

Installed:

erlangen:~ # zypper in libboost_filesystem1_66_0
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

The following 3 NEW packages are going to be installed:
  boost-license1_66_0 libboost_filesystem1_66_0 libboost_system1_66_0

3 new packages to install.
Overall download size: 95.9 KiB. Already cached: 0 B. After the operation, additional 110.9 KiB will be used.
Continue? [y/n/v/...? shows all options] (y): 
Retrieving package boost-license1_66_0-1.66.0-lp151.4.5.noarch                                                                                                                                          (1/3),  20.5 KiB (  1.3 KiB unpacked)
Retrieving: boost-license1_66_0-1.66.0-lp151.4.5.noarch.rpm ...........................................................................................................................................................................[done]
Retrieving package libboost_system1_66_0-1.66.0-lp151.4.5.x86_64                                                                                                                                        (2/3),  25.1 KiB ( 18.3 KiB unpacked)
Retrieving: libboost_system1_66_0-1.66.0-lp151.4.5.x86_64.rpm .........................................................................................................................................................................[done]
Retrieving package libboost_filesystem1_66_0-1.66.0-lp151.4.5.x86_64                                                                                                                                    (3/3),  50.3 KiB ( 91.3 KiB unpacked)
Retrieving: libboost_filesystem1_66_0-1.66.0-lp151.4.5.x86_64.rpm .....................................................................................................................................................................[done]

Checking for file conflicts: ..........................................................................................................................................................................................................[done]
(1/3) Installing: boost-license1_66_0-1.66.0-lp151.4.5.noarch .........................................................................................................................................................................[done]
(2/3) Installing: libboost_system1_66_0-1.66.0-lp151.4.5.x86_64 .......................................................................................................................................................................[done]
(3/3) Installing: libboost_filesystem1_66_0-1.66.0-lp151.4.5.x86_64 ...................................................................................................................................................................[done]

Installed from script:

erlangen:/home/karl/Downloads/imagescan-bundle-opensuse-15.1-3.61.0.x64.rpm # ./install.sh 
Paketabhängigkeiten werden aufgelöst...

Die folgenden 5 NEUEN Pakete werden installiert:
  imagescan imagescan-plugin-gt-s650 imagescan-plugin-networkscan imagescan-plugin-ocr-engine libboost_program_options1_66_0

5 neue Pakete zu installieren.
Gesamtgröße des Downloads: 10,0 MiB. Bereits im Cache gespeichert: 0 B. Nach der Operation werden zusätzlich 22,3 MiB belegt.
Fortfahren? [j/n/v/...? zeigt alle Optionen] (j): j
Paket libboost_program_options1_66_0-1.66.0-lp151.4.5.x86_64 abrufen                                                                                                                                    (1/5), 139,3 KiB (500,6 KiB entpackt)
Abrufen: libboost_program_options1_66_0-1.66.0-lp151.4.5.x86_64.rpm .................................................................................................................................................................[fertig]
Paket imagescan-3.61.0-1epson4opensuse15.1.x86_64 abrufen                                                                                                                                               (2/5),   1,5 MiB (  8,6 MiB entpackt)
imagescan-3.61.0-1epson4opensuse15.1.x86_64.rpm:
    Paket ist nicht signiert!
imagescan-3.61.0-1epson4opensuse15.1.x86_64 (Einfacher Cache für RPM-Dateien): Fehler beim Überprüfen der Signatur [6-Datei ist unsigniert]
Das Paket trotz des Fehlers akzeptieren. (--no-gpg-checks)

Paket imagescan-plugin-gt-s650-1.0.2-1epson4opensuse15.1.x86_64 abrufen                                                                                                                                 (3/5),  99,0 KiB (269,0 KiB entpackt)
imagescan-plugin-gt-s650-1.0.2-1epson4opensuse15.1.x86_64.rpm:
imagescan-plugin-gt-s650-1.0.2-1epson4opensuse15.1.x86_64 (Einfacher Cache für RPM-Dateien): Fehler beim Überprüfen der Signatur [6-Datei ist unsigniert]

Paket imagescan-plugin-ocr-engine-1.0.2-1epson4opensuse15.1.x86_64 abrufen                                                                                                                              (4/5),   8,2 MiB ( 12,9 MiB entpackt)
imagescan-plugin-ocr-engine-1.0.2-1epson4opensuse15.1.x86_64.rpm:
imagescan-plugin-ocr-engine-1.0.2-1epson4opensuse15.1.x86_64 (Einfacher Cache für RPM-Dateien): Fehler beim Überprüfen der Signatur [6-Datei ist unsigniert]

Paket imagescan-plugin-networkscan-1.1.3-1epson4opensuse15.1.x86_64 abrufen                                                                                                                             (5/5),  48,5 KiB (125,6 KiB entpackt)
imagescan-plugin-networkscan-1.1.3-1epson4opensuse15.1.x86_64.rpm:
imagescan-plugin-networkscan-1.1.3-1epson4opensuse15.1.x86_64 (Einfacher Cache für RPM-Dateien): Fehler beim Überprüfen der Signatur [6-Datei ist unsigniert]

Überprüfung auf Dateikonflikte läuft: ...............................................................................................................................................................................................[fertig]
(1/5) Installieren: libboost_program_options1_66_0-1.66.0-lp151.4.5.x86_64 ..........................................................................................................................................................[fertig]
(2/5) Installieren: imagescan-3.61.0-1epson4opensuse15.1.x86_64 .....................................................................................................................................................................[fertig]
(3/5) Installieren: imagescan-plugin-gt-s650-1.0.2-1epson4opensuse15.1.x86_64 .......................................................................................................................................................[fertig]
(4/5) Installieren: imagescan-plugin-ocr-engine-1.0.2-1epson4opensuse15.1.x86_64 ....................................................................................................................................................[fertig]
(5/5) Installieren: imagescan-plugin-networkscan-1.1.3-1epson4opensuse15.1.x86_64 ...................................................................................................................................................[fertig]
erlangen:/home/karl/Downloads/imagescan-bundle-opensuse-15.1-3.61.0.x64.rpm # exit
karl@erlangen:~/Downloads/imagescan-bundle-opensuse-15.1-3.57.0.x64.rpm> 
karl@erlangen:~/Downloads/imagescan-bundle-opensuse-15.1-3.57.0.x64.rpm>