Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Desktop freezes at random

Default Desktop freezes at random

I'm having a problem where the desktop will just lockup at random, although it usually seems to happen if I have a VM running under KVM.
    I just experiences a lockup and rebooted to check the system logs, and it froze up again while I was trying to read through the logs. Right before it freezes, I get a message similar to this in the logs:

Code:
    QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 4103, resource id: 62914560, major code: 18 (ChangeProperty), minor code: 0
    When I was running the VM, the error message was:
    Code:
    QXcbConnection: XCB error: 2 (BadValue), sequence: 26016, resource id: 67108972, major code: 142 (Unknown), minor code: 3
    If anyone has any insight as to what might be causing this, please let me know, it's getting frustrating. Also, I cannot open another tty instance when this happens either. Although, the pointer cursor is still visible and able to move, but everything else freezes. Thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Desktop freezes at random

I experience something like that with Leap 42.3. It started happening after "firefox" updated to a quantum version (58.* or 59.* or similar). As best I could tell, firefox is now a memory hog.

Since then I have greatly reduced the problem by changing how I use my system. Mostly, I have reduced the amount of memory that I use. I'll often shutdown a browser before I fire up a KVM virtual machine, so that I am less likely to run into memory problems.

In summary: "firefox" is a memory hog. A KVM virtual machine can also use a lot of memory (depending on the assigned memory size). To many heavy memory users at one time can cause problems.

I'm doubting that those XCB messages are important. I see a lot of those, and they do not seem to indicate problems.

My reply might solve your problem, but it at least gives a hint at what someone else is seeing.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Are you using Plasma? It sounds like the exact thing that inspired me try other desktop environments.
    You could try IceWM or openBox for a day or two -- or XFCE for a full lightweight alternative.

Yes I am using plasma. I haven't had a problem with it until the last couple weeks, and I've been using plasma the entire time I've had Leap 15 installed. I don't recall installing any new programs or anything over that time, and the error logs are not helpful. One thing I did notice though is that the systemd logs are about 6 minutes ahead of the time shown on the desktop. Any reason that would be the case?

Also, this problem mostly seems to occur when I'm running a 32bit version of windows in a VM. The 64bit guest OSes don't appear to be causing a problem. Any idea why that might be the case? I have the guest architecture set to i686.

I may try xfce is the freezes continue, to see if it makes a difference. Xfce is probably my second favorite desktop behind plasma, I just tend to use aspects of plasma more often. Thanks for the input so far.

Those QXcbConnection: XCB errors are a known problem about which apparently nothing can be done except at the QT level:
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=366421
    https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-55167.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

This has happened a couple more times in the past two days, always with a 32bit windows 10 guest running. This time though, I just left the system a bit longer to see what would happen. First, only a few windows on the desktop (plasma) became unresponsive, then eventually they all froze with the exception of the mouse pointer. Then after about 1 or 2 minutes, the mouse pointer froze as well and the caps lock began flashing indicating a kernel panic. I powered off the computer and rebooted. Here is the log from before the freeze up to when I rebooted:

Code:
    Aug 08 21:03:16 precision plasmashell[2013]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 2 (BadValue), sequence: 58225, resource id: 67108869, major code: 142 (Unknown), minor code: 3
    Aug 08 21:04:06 precision plasmashell[2013]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 2 (BadValue), sequence: 59222, resource id: 44040197, major code: 142 (Unknown), minor code: 3
    Aug 08 21:05:17 precision plasmashell[2013]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 2 (BadValue), sequence: 59618, resource id: 81788945, major code: 142 (Unknown), minor code: 3
    -- Reboot --
    As you can see, there were no logs about anything other than the XCB connection prior to the kernel panic. Then, immediately after rebooting, I went to the logs to see if there was anything useful, and it froze again. This time, the only thing open was a Konsole window. This is the second time it has happened with exactly this same order of events. The last time I attempted to check the logs, it caused a system freeze also, but only after experiencing the first freeze with he VM running.

Here are the logs from the second freeze:

Code:
    Aug 08 21:10:50 precision sudo[2386]:     me : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/me ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/journalctl --since 10 minutes ago
    Aug 08 21:10:50 precision sudo[2386]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by me(uid=0)
    -- Reboot --
    Again, as you can see, some really useful stuff... The only difference with the second freeze is that it wasn't a kernel panic like the first one. Subsequent boot is fine, no freezes so far.

Anyone have some ideas what would be causing a kernal panic with a 32bit guest OS in KVM? I have not noticed a freeze any other time, and I can leave my laptop on all day and it's fine as long as I don't fire up that VM. I even thought maybe there was something weird with that installation so I reinstalled it....same problem. 64bit guest OSes seem to run fine. Could this be a problem with windows 10 32bit? Is there a specific CPU architecture I should try for the guest, maybe?

Thanks.

Smile Re: Desktop freezes at random

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    As best I could tell, firefox is now a memory hog.
    Strange – on this 8 GiB memory desktop machine, Firefox with 3 tabs open is using about 4% (342 MiB) of conventional memory and 6% (490 MiB) of RSS memory.
    • Firefox Add-Ons: Ghostery and KDE Plasma …

Cool Re: Desktop freezes at random

Quote Originally Posted by z2 View Post
    Anyone have some ideas what would be causing a kernal panic with a 32bit guest OS in KVM? I have not noticed a freeze any other time, and I can leave my laptop on all day and it's fine as long as I don't fire up that VM. I even thought maybe there was something weird with that installation so I reinstalled it....same problem. 64bit guest OSes seem to run fine. Could this be a problem with windows 10 32bit? Is there a specific CPU architecture I should try for the guest, maybe?
    My personal preference for the VM running a Redmond system on a Linux platform is, Oracle's VirtualBox.
    • The Oracle folks seem to be able to produce a more reliable VM for running the Redmond offerings …
    • Yes, yes, the Extension Packs and Redmond Guest Additions aren't quite open source but, on the other hand, the Redmond offerings are also not open source …

@z2

If you can't solve the problem and for some reason don't want to dual boot, you can now buy a "mini pc" or "computer stick" with Windows installed for about the same price as a Windows license.

@nrickert

The latest articles here are pretty informative about the memory situation with Firefox. http://www.erahm.org

@dcurtisfra

With Firefox Quantum I think we also need to consider the "Web Content" and "WebExtension" processes. Although, it's probably easier to to just use `free -h`, then close Firefox and run it again to note the difference.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravas View Post
    The latest articles here are pretty informative about the memory situation with Firefox. http://www.erahm.org
    Thanks. That seems to be primarily about firefox 66. With Leap 15.1, I'm using 60.8.0esr
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast