Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Desktop freezes at random

Default Re: Desktop freezes at random

Thanks for the suggestions. Apparently KVM has difficulty running windows 10. I discovered that I could upgrade to the 64bit version for free, which I did, but that did not solve the problem. Searching the net for a while revealed that this is apparently a fairly common problem. As far as the complaints I've read, it seems to only affect windows 10 guests. I installed virtualbox and moved over the disk image and so far it seems to be working well. Boots up in about half the time it took using KVM also. No idea why, but running it in virtualbox seems to work just fine, at least so far, but it's only been about an hour (I never made it anywhere near that long in KVM without a freeze). Now I just have to deal with that pesky reactivation problem...

Well, I just ran into this problem with virtualbox also. It appears windows guests cannot be run on openSUSE without causing system freezes. That's a bit irritating...

I've decided to upgrade to the newest kernel, 5.2.8 to see if that fixes the problem. This laptop is fairly new, so I thought maybe the newer kernel might allow me to actually run windows. I'll update this post with the results.

I'm back to square one. I think windows 10 KVM guests just hose up systems, or at least mine anyway. I upgraded to the newer kernel, and that did seem to improve things somewhat. The desktop never froze while running the guest, but the guest was very slow and sluggish. After about a day, the desktop just froze up when I hadn't been running a VM at any point. No errors in the logs. I booted from a three week old read only snapshot of the root file system and that seemed to run fine for about six hours, so I did a rollback. I had no freezes at all for about a day until I fired up the windows 10 guest again. It ran fine initially, then I walked away and left it running for about an hour and when I came back it was locked up again.

I've decided this is basically an exercise in futility so I'll just stick with dual booting, even though it's a pain in the rear sometimes.

Question Re: Desktop freezes at random

@z2:

BIOS/UEFI?
    • For an Intel CPU it'll possibly something like “VT-d” or “VT-x” or “Virtualization Technology”.
    • For an AMD CPU it's usually enabled and, there may be something such as “Secure Virtual Machine Mode” as well …

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    @z2:

BIOS/UEFI?
    • For an Intel CPU it'll possibly something like “VT-d” or “VT-x” or “Virtualization Technology”.
    • For an AMD CPU it's usually enabled and, there may be something such as “Secure Virtual Machine Mode” as well …
    Virtualization is enabled. I can run a linux guest all day without issue, but if I boot up win10, it locks everything up within about 30 minutes, occasionally I can make it an hour before that happens. Also, after a lockup with the windows VM, the computer will usually freeze up on the subsequent boot or two regardless of whether or not I have booted up the VM during that session. It makes no sense, but that seems to be the pattern. I haven't booted up that VM for the past three days and have had zero problems with freezing in that time.

Blog Entries

I don't know if this is relevant:

Bug 1103426 -- Tumbleweed installation freezes when using QXL driver

It isn't just Tumbleweed. I had to use the virtio video driver for KVM installs of Leap 15.1. And I occasionally saw freezes with a Leap 15.0 guest.

Now that I am using Leap 15.1 for the KVM host system, this problem has gone away.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Blog Entries

Hi
    Does it occur running specific apps or just random? Is this and Intel or AMD system?

I'm on Intel with gpu passthrough here and added a 10-kvm.conf file to avoid lockups in WinX;

Code:
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/10-kvm.conf 

options kvm ignore_msrs=1
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I don't know if this is relevant:

Bug 1103426 -- Tumbleweed installation freezes when using QXL driver

It isn't just Tumbleweed. I had to use the virtio video driver for KVM installs of Leap 15.1. And I occasionally saw freezes with a Leap 15.0 guest.

Now that I am using Leap 15.1 for the KVM host system, this problem has gone away.
    Switching the video driver is a good idea, I didn't think to try that. I don't know if the above is the same issue, but it looks pretty similar, in many respects. I'm planning to upgrade to 15.1 at some point in the near future, but it probably won't happen until September. Hopefully that will help as well.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis
    Hi
    Does it occur running specific apps or just random? Is this and Intel or AMD system?

I'm on Intel with gpu passthrough here and added a 10-kvm.conf file to avoid lockups in WinX;

Code:
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/10-kvm.conf

options kvm ignore_msrs=1
    It happens at random even if I just have the win10 guest booted but not running any programs (or even on the subsequent boot, after locking up, even if I don't run a VM). The system is intel 8th gen i5, integrated graphics only.
    What does that config file do, exactly?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by z2 View Post
    Switching the video driver is a good idea, I didn't think to try that. I don't know if the above is the same issue, but it looks pretty similar, in many respects. I'm planning to upgrade to 15.1 at some point in the near future, but it probably won't happen until September. Hopefully that will help as well.

It happens at random even if I just have the win10 guest booted but not running any programs (or even on the subsequent boot, after locking up, even if I don't run a VM). The system is intel 8th gen i5, integrated graphics only.
    What does that config file do, exactly?
    Hi
    Enables the kvm kernel module option (/sbin/modinfo kvm), it ignores the guest request to access those registers.

If you google kvm+ignore_msrs you will see some posts about lockups etc.

It's could also related to the libvirt version in leap 15.0, has some bugs that are fixed in the later release but may not be backported.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12