Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How to activate installed latest kernel after latest upgrade?

Default Re: How to activate installed latest kernel after latest upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    What I meant with posting is provide an URL to the files such as http://mistelberger.net/bootinfoscript.out I am quite clueless regarding pastebin. Does one really need to paste large quantities of text or is there an easier way of uploading files?
    Yep. I've figured out what's the cause for the mess up. It's in the /etc/default/grub file as you can see here: https://susepaste.org/13661111 So I removed the GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN_DEFAULT="vga=gfx-1024x768x16 vga=gfx-1024x768x16 vga=gfx-1024x768x16 vga=gfx-1024x768x16 ... (snip)" stuff in the grub file and re-run grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg:
    Code:
    linux-wufx:~ # grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    Generating grub configuration file ...
    Found theme: /boot/grub2/themes/openSUSE/theme.txt
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.2.3-1-default
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd-5.2.3-1-default
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.2.2-1-default
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd-5.2.2-1-default
    done
    and it's now clean.

The Xen issue was a total fail and it never worked on my machine. Tried a few times, it always messed up boot/login screens when booting with Xen, so I gave up and removed Xen from the system and no longer use it after a few tries. VirtualBox is much easier to work with on my system.

There's another old grub.old file too, you can see here: https://susepaste.org/69688113 As you can see there's a long line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="splash=silent resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-HGST_HTS541010B7E610_WXU1AC7D311L-part3 quiet ...(snip)" stuff which I just removed today from YaST2>Boot Loader>Kernel Parameters>Optional Kernel Command Line Parameter

Something went wrong with both. All I get are pages with nothing pasted but a filename.

Great to see this solved without need to reinstall!
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    You and I have no functional disagreement. Pastebinning functions e.g. as a substitute for a personal web server for sharing large files, such as logs, screenshots and bootinfoscript.sh ouput, to minimize the noise level in the involved thread. "Post", without more, leads many to believe is meant copy and paste directly into the forum's textarea input box much text that typically serves no lasting useful purpose. Susepaste is a cli utility to facilitate the temporary large file sharing that is pastebinning.
    Thanks for clarifying. Found susepaste on my machine and gave it a try:

Code:
    erlangen:~ # cat .susepaste 
    NICK=karlmistelberger
    SYNTAX=bash
    erlangen:~ #

Code:
    erlangen:~ # cat /etc/default/grub|susepaste -t 'test susepaste'
    Pasted as:
       http://susepaste.org/8656600
       http://paste.opensuse.org/8656600
    Link is also in your clipboard.
    erlangen:~ #
    Post will expire in 1 hour.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Something went wrong with both. All I get are pages with nothing pasted but a filename.

Great to see this solved without need to reinstall!

still need to learn how to use file upload to that. But you get the idea what causes the issue I had and how it gets solved.

Thanks guys for all your tips and clues.

Quote Originally Posted by ace4dude View Post
    still need to learn how to use file upload to that.
    I suspect what happened is you tried to upload /etc/default/grub which has no read access to ordinary users. Prefacing susepaste with sudo would hopefully workaround if that's what happened, or use sudo cat to pipe to susepaste. In both TW and 15.1 when I try to upload a file with no read access, the command doesn't complete, so there's no URL returned and thus no empty file uploaded. When I test on a readable file susepaste works as expected.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345