Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Ctrl + backspace on Gedit

  1. #1

    Default Ctrl + backspace on Gedit

    So finally clean-installed Leap 15.1 with Gnome.

    I noticed the Ctrl + backspace function to delete whole word instead of single character seemingly disappeared from Gedit, though Ctrl + left/right arrow still works.
    How can one get it back?

    Is it also possible to enable it for Terminal emulator?

    Firefox still has Ctrl + backspace thing as normal.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,865
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Ctrl + backspace on Gedit

    Quote Originally Posted by F_style View Post
    So finally clean-installed Leap 15.1 with Gnome.

    I noticed the Ctrl + backspace function to delete whole word instead of single character seemingly disappeared from Gedit, though Ctrl + left/right arrow still works.
    How can one get it back?

    Is it also possible to enable it for Terminal emulator?

    Firefox still has Ctrl + backspace thing as normal.

    Thanks.
    Hi
    Just checked here and ctrl+backspace works fine? I don't think it's possible for gnome-terminal...

    If you create a test user, does the ctrl+backspace issue duplicate?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Ctrl + backspace on Gedit

    Confirmed:
    With a new test user created, issue indeed duplicates.

    Any help please?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,865
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Ctrl + backspace on Gedit

    Quote Originally Posted by F_style View Post
    Confirmed:
    With a new test user created, issue indeed duplicates.

    Any help please?
    Hi
    Well the only places for GNOME key configuration is dconf-editor, Settings -> Devices -> Keyboard and the GNOME Tweak tool. But since it's duplicated then it's something system wide and not desktop related, which those tools I mentioned apply.

    Is this a pure GNOME install or do you have other desktop environments installed?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Ctrl + backspace on Gedit

    Pure GNOME install, no other DEs.
    And it's from default openSUSE repositories; I don't add the GNOME full one.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,865
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Ctrl + backspace on Gedit

    Quote Originally Posted by F_style View Post
    Pure GNOME install, no other DEs.
    And it's from default openSUSE repositories; I don't add the GNOME full one.
    Hi
    Are you running Wayland? If so switch to Xorg and see if it changes...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Ctrl + backspace on Gedit

    Yes, that was it:
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...ce-not-working

    Thanks very much.
    Problem was: cat /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager says in last line it's supposedly using "Xorg".
    In the login window, before actually logging in I clicked the "gear" icon, and first 3 options are GNOME, GNOME classic, GNOME on Xorg. This time I explicitly chose the 3rd one, and issue solved! I guess the first option is the new default "Wayland"...

    Issue which caused the confusion: either in "GNOME" and "GNOME on Xorg", /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager says "Xorg" in the last line.

    So, how can one know which display manager is currently in use?
    This seems important.

    Thanks very much again.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,865
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Ctrl + backspace on Gedit

    Quote Originally Posted by F_style View Post
    Yes, that was it:
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...ce-not-working

    Thanks very much.
    Problem was: cat /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager says in last line it's supposedly using "Xorg".
    In the login window, before actually logging in I clicked the "gear" icon, and first 3 options are GNOME, GNOME classic, GNOME on Xorg. This time I explicitly chose the 3rd one, and issue solved! I guess the first option is the new default "Wayland"...

    Issue which caused the confusion: either in "GNOME" and "GNOME on Xorg", /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager says "Xorg" in the last line.

    So, how can one know which display manager is currently in use?
    This seems important.

    Thanks very much again.
    Hi
    The default is wayland these days....

    Run the command;
    Code:
    echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Ctrl + backspace on Gedit

    How is it that there's still no fix for this on Wayland after years?
    https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/570

  10. #10

    Default Re: Ctrl + backspace on Gedit

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    The default is wayland these days....
    Excuse me, what exactly did you mean?

    I mean, on Leap 15.1, at least in Gnome it's still true, but not in KDE.
    In KDE I found default is X11 with a clean Leap installation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •