Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: USB Hard Drive larger than 2TB on non-UEFI?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,356
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: USB Hard Drive larger than 2TB on non-UEFI?

    I have a flash drive with an LED. And that LED is always flashing when it is plugged in.

    On the other hand, I have a hard drive in an enclosure, and the LED there only flashes when there is read/write/seek activity.

    The flashing might not be for anything important.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

  2. #12

    Default Re: USB Hard Drive larger than 2TB on non-UEFI?

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I have a flash drive with an LED. And that LED is always flashing when it is plugged in.

    On the other hand, I have a hard drive in an enclosure, and the LED there only flashes when there is read/write/seek activity.

    The flashing might not be for anything important.
    My 2TB USB drives don't do that, but I left them as-is, formatted with NTFS, not sure if that has anything to do with it. No biggie, it's working so far, only wanted it to offload my large collection of DVD & Bluray rips, running out of space on my PC. The drive showed 3.58TiB in Dolphin before I started copying stuff to it, should be ok. Just tried it on my laptop, works fine, though that has the same user name, so no idea about that weird permissions thing. But it works for the intended use, I'm happy.
    Desktop : Leap 15.0 | KDE Plasma | AMD Phenom II x6 1035T | 8 GB Memory | Integrated Radeon HD4250 | Ext4
    Laptop: Leap 15.0 | KDE Plasma | Intel Core i5 3rd Gen 3320M 2.6GHz | Intel HD Graphics 4000 | 8 GB Memory | Ext4

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,519
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: USB Hard Drive larger than 2TB on non-UEFI?

    My 4 TB drive(s) have a steady blue light when power applied, and flash when access taking place. I also left them formatted NTFS (so I have compatibility with my wife and colleagues PCs for file transfer (private home videos) and also backup's of wife's data from an MS-Windows PC)

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    893

    Default Re: USB Hard Drive larger than 2TB on non-UEFI?

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    My 4 TB drive(s) have a steady blue light when power applied, and flash when access taking place. I also left them formatted NTFS (so I have compatibility with my wife and colleagues PCs for file transfer (private home videos) and also backup's of wife's data from an MS-Windows PC)
    All of my external drives have less than 4 TB, but their behavior is the same.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  5. #15

    Default Re: USB Hard Drive larger than 2TB on non-UEFI?

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    All of my external drives have less than 4 TB, but their behavior is the same.
    My 2 TB drives are the same, too. This 4 TB unit is the only one that always flashes, just a little less often with no files being transferred or accessed. It seems to work ok, though. I'm still copying files to it, about 900 GiB left. It's only for playing videos, not a critical backup drive, so I'm not worried. It's just weird.
    Desktop : Leap 15.0 | KDE Plasma | AMD Phenom II x6 1035T | 8 GB Memory | Integrated Radeon HD4250 | Ext4
    Laptop: Leap 15.0 | KDE Plasma | Intel Core i5 3rd Gen 3320M 2.6GHz | Intel HD Graphics 4000 | 8 GB Memory | Ext4

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •