Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB Hard Drive larger than 2TB on non-UEFI?

Default USB Hard Drive larger than 2TB on non-UEFI?

Is this possible? If not, I'll use 2TB USB drives. I don't want to build a new system, or even replace the motherboard. I just want to free up space on the internal hard drive, lots of video stuff!
    Desktop : Leap 15.0 | KDE Plasma | AMD Phenom II x6 1035T | 8 GB Memory | Integrated Radeon HD4250 | Ext4
    Laptop: Leap 15.0 | KDE Plasma | Intel Core i5 3rd Gen 3320M 2.6GHz | Intel HD Graphics 4000 | 8 GB Memory | Ext4

Blog Entries

Default Re: USB Hard Drive larger than 2TB on non-UEFI?

I don't really know, and it probably depends on the BIOS.

With a reasonably new BIOS, I would guess it is okay provided:

You use a GPT partition table.
    The partition containing "/boot" is in the first 2T of space on the disk.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I don't really know, and it probably depends on the BIOS.

With a reasonably new BIOS, I would guess it is okay provided:

You use a GPT partition table.
    The partition containing "/boot" is in the first 2T of space on the disk.
    My motherboard has an older BIOS, not sure, but I don't think it does GPT? Anyway, I won't be booting from the USB drive, it'll just be for my data files - video stuff, in particular.
    Desktop : Leap 15.0 | KDE Plasma | AMD Phenom II x6 1035T | 8 GB Memory | Integrated Radeon HD4250 | Ext4
    Laptop: Leap 15.0 | KDE Plasma | Intel Core i5 3rd Gen 3320M 2.6GHz | Intel HD Graphics 4000 | 8 GB Memory | Ext4

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HighBloodSugar View Post
    My motherboard has an older BIOS, not sure, but I don't think it does GPT?
    That doesn't actually matter. GPT partitioning does have a protective MBR. And as long as the BIOS treats that as it would any other MBR, it should be fine. The boot code in the protective MBR needs to know about GPT, but the BIOS doesn't. The main problem will be that BIOS calls cannot read all the way to the end of a large drive. As long as that isn't needed during booting, it should be fine.

Anyway, I won't be booting from the USB drive, it'll just be for my data files - video stuff, in particular.
    That makes it even more likely that it will work. But you won't really know until you try.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Blog Entries

I have a few hard drives > 2TB but I confess I have only used them with UEFI laptop and desktop.

I note this thread: Trying to understand linux support for 4TB hard disk drive on legacy BIOS where it suggests (as stated above) it really depends on the BIOS or the external HD itself.

Nominally MBR will not support > 2TB so one needs GPT for some old PCs. But many external disks and a few internal disks now use 4 KiB (4096-byte) logical sectors, though, which raises the MBR limit to 16 TiB.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I have a few hard drives > 2TB but I confess I have only used them with UEFI laptop and desktop.

I note this thread: Trying to understand linux support for 4TB hard disk drive on legacy BIOS where it suggests (as stated above) it really depends on the BIOS or the external HD itself.

Nominally MBR will not support > 2TB so one needs GPT for some old PCs. But many external disks and a few internal disks now use 4 KiB (4096-byte) logical sectors, though, which raises the MBR limit to 16 TiB.
    This part of the linked page seems to say a 4GB data drive will work:
    Code:
    All that said, since the new disk is a non-boot disk, you needn't really  be concerned with these issues. You can boot Linux in BIOS mode from an  MBR-partitioned SSD and use the GPT-partitioned 4 TiB hard disk for  data storage without problems. If your needs change in the future, you  might need to re-evaluate the configuration, but I wouldn't worry about  it now.
    The USB hard drives come formatted with NTFS, I never reformatted any of my 2TB drives. Am I correct in assuming a 4GB drive will be GPT partitioned?

Quote Originally Posted by HighBloodSugar View Post
    This part of the linked page seems to say a 4GB data drive will work:
    Code:
    All that said, since the new disk is a non-boot disk, you needn't really  be concerned with these issues. You can boot Linux in BIOS mode from an  MBR-partitioned SSD and use the GPT-partitioned 4 TiB hard disk for  data storage without problems. If your needs change in the future, you  might need to re-evaluate the configuration, but I wouldn't worry about  it now.
    The USB hard drives come formatted with NTFS, I never reformatted any of my 2TB drives. Am I correct in assuming a 4GB drive will be GPT partitioned?
    When I bought a 4 T WD40EZRX-22SPEB0 it had gpt. With my new machine I continued using bios/mbr because it worked. But finally I wished I had switched to uefi/gpt when assembling the machine.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

I have 4 tb USB attached to old machines (over 15 years old) with msdos partition tables - all formatted with gparted to ext4 with no issues.
    Opensuse 15.1 with VirtualBox VM's (Windows 98, XP, 7, 8.1, 10 & OpenSUSE 15.0)

Unix since 1974 (pdp-11 in "B" , Interdata 7/32 in "C") (AT&T, Tandy, Convergent, IBM, NCR, HP flavors)
    Linux since 1995 (mandrake, redhat, fedora, centos, now OpenSUSE)

The drive is on order, I'll try to remember to report back with my results. Thanks to all who replied!

The drive arrived today, so I booted up GParted Live CD, the version for my non-UEFI "BIOS" machine. I deleted the existing partition, then created a new GPT partition, created the primary partiton, and formatted it for ext4. When I tried to create a directory in Dolphin, that option was greyed-out. So I checked the permissions, and it said "root". Then I opened the "superuser" version of Dolphin, and changed the permissions to my user name for "user", and the "Group" to users. It works now, but the drive activity LED never stops flashing. Did I do something wrong? I haven't tried this drive on my laptop yet, hoping it works on that too... Other than the constantly flashing LED, it seems to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast