Great explanation.

OK, this is what I tried:
    Code:
    juris@linux-5m2u:~/Downloads/xmind-8-update8-linux> sudo ./setup.sh
    [sudo] password for root: 
    [setup] Installing dependencies....
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    'libc6' not found in package names. Trying capabilities.
    No provider of 'libc6' found.
    'libglib2.0-0' not found in package names. Trying capabilities.
    No provider of 'libglib2.0-0' found.
    'libgtk2.0-0' not found in package names. Trying capabilities.
    No provider of 'libgtk2.0-0' found.
    'libwebkitgtk-1.0-0' not found in package names. Trying capabilities.
    No provider of 'libwebkitgtk-1.0-0' found.
    'openjdk-8-jre' not found in package names. Trying capabilities.
    No provider of 'openjdk-8-jre' found.
    juris@linux-5m2u:~/Downloads/xmind-8-update8-linux>
    A. "'libc6' not found in package names."

Is it even the right package?

B. "libglib2.0-0' not found in package names."
    Yast: Have.

C. "libgtk2.0-0' not found in package names."
    Yast: Have (libgtk-2_0-0 as well libgtk-3-0).

D. "libwebkitgtk-1.0-0' not found in package names."

E. "'openjdk-8-jre' not found in package names."
    • Yast: No results. But I have java-11-openjdk though.
    • openSuse Sofware: openjdk-8-jre

Also additional info from XMind Help section:
    Linux users should meet below requirements,
    • GTK.
    • Some features need lame.
    • Only Sun JRE/OpenJDK/IBM JRE/BEA JRockit are supported. Don't use unsupported JVM.
    What should I do now?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can't install XMind: Zen .rpm

The application install is written somewhat poorly when its manifest references dependencies by package names and not files. When package names are referenced, the install will work only with a specific package management system, and packages from a specific repository.

So,
    For instance a quick Google search for "libc6" confirms the package name is used in a Debian Jessie system.
    Therefor, what you downloaded is unusable on anything other than Debian,
    You need to look for an install download for Fedora or openSUSE (both use packages named similarly),
    Or, look for a TAR download that works on any distro.
    On some installs, if the errors can be overridden, you can try to find the openSUSE equivalent of the Debian package names, and if you've identified and installed your dependencies correctly, a build might succeed (Apparently your app will compile on your machine).

You're making progress, if you can't find the right download on your own you may need to ask the Project (or their support) for assistance.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Hi
    Not sure why your trying an update route? Just install the rpm?

Code:
    zypper in XMind-ZEN-for-Linux-64bit.rpm

Problem: nothing provides libappindicator needed by xmind-vana-9.0.6-1.x86_64
     Solution 1: do not install xmind-vana-9.0.6-1.x86_64
     Solution 2: break xmind-vana-9.0.6-1.x86_64 by ignoring some of its dependencies

Choose from above solutions by number or cancel [1/2/c] (c): 2
    Resolving dependencies...
    Resolving package dependencies...

The following 2 NEW packages are going to be installed:
      libnotify-tools xmind-vana

2 new packages to install.
    Overall download size: 57.6 MiB. Already cached: 0 B. After the operation, additional 254.9 MiB will be used.
    Continue? [y/n/v/...? shows all options] (y): y
    Retrieving package libnotify-tools-0.7.7-lp151.3.2.x86_64                                                                                                 (1/2),  15.7 KiB ( 14.5 KiB unpacked)
    Retrieving: libnotify-tools-0.7.7-lp151.3.2.x86_64.rpm .....................................................................................................................[done (17.2 KiB/s)]
    Retrieving package xmind-vana-9.0.6-1.x86_64                                                                                                              (2/2),  57.6 MiB (254.9 MiB unpacked)
    XMind-ZEN-for-Linux-64bit.rpm:
        Package is not signed!

xmind-vana-9.0.6-1.x86_64 (Plain RPM files cache): Signature verification failed [6-File is unsigned]
    Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i] (a): i
    Checking for file conflicts: ............................................................................................................................................................[done]
    (1/2) Installing: libnotify-tools-0.7.7-lp151.3.2.x86_64 ................................................................................................................................[done]
    (2/2) Installing: xmind-vana-9.0.6-1.x86_64 .............................................................................................................................................[done]
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-07-31 15-20-14.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	865
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Smile Re: Can't install XMind: Zen .rpm

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis
    Not sure why your trying an update route? Just install the rpm?
    From #1 post:

How can I resize this? No code for resizing provided: https://forums.opensuse.org/misc.php?do=bbcode

I didn't want ignore this error. Error means something is wrong. Before I ignored it and tried install anyway, wanted to know is it the right thing to do, since I'm new to openSUSE and linux in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsjuris89
    I'm a bit reluctant to ignore the error, since maybe its something this software needs to work without issues.
    As for "Not sure why your trying an update route?"
    Meanwhile I got response from XMind support, that I should go for other version XMind 8 aka what you called "update route".
    So I immediately tried to get working XMind 8 and disregarded XMind ZEN.

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    The application install is written somewhat poorly when its manifest references dependencies by package names and not files. ...

Therefore, what you downloaded is unusable on anything other than Debian,
    You need to look for an install download for Fedora or openSUSE
    Got it. This is what I was trying do in my first post. Just noone really explained why should I ignore the error.

So I did go: "2: break xmind-vana-9.0.6-1.x86_64 by ignoring some of its dependencies" and the software installed successfully. Let's see if everything works smoothly later on.

I'm still not sure about all that dependency error thing: should I just blindly ignore all these type of errors when installing software on my system? And only investigate in more detail if something not working?

OR isn't a better way to investigate that dependency issue before installing something and make a educated guess how to proceed after getting some more info: "ok I think this is error shouldn't give me much problems; we can safely try ignore these particular depencies for X, Y, Z reasons"
    Its just that I'm a newbie in openSUSE and I dont know how to investigate these type things yet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jsjuris89 View Post
    From #1 post:

How can I resize this? No code for resizing provided: https://forums.opensuse.org/misc.php?do=bbcode

I didn't want ignore this error. Error means something is wrong. Before I ignored it and tried install anyway, wanted to know is it the right thing to do, since I'm new to openSUSE and linux in general.

As for "Not sure why your trying an update route?"
    Meanwhile I got response from XMind support, that I should go for other version XMind 8 aka what you called "update route".
    So I immediately tried to get working XMind 8 and disregarded XMind ZEN.

Got it. This is what I was trying do in my first post. Just noone really explained why should I ignore the error.

So I did go: "2: break xmind-vana-9.0.6-1.x86_64 by ignoring some of its dependencies" and the software installed successfully. Let's see if everything works smoothly later on.

I'm still not sure about all that dependency error thing: should I just blindly ignore all these type of errors when installing software on my system? And only investigate in more detail if something not working?

OR isn't a better way to investigate that dependency issue before installing something and make a educated guess how to proceed after getting some more info: "ok I think this is error shouldn't give me much problems; we can safely try ignore these particular depencies for X, Y, Z reasons"
    Its just that I'm a newbie in openSUSE and I dont know how to investigate these type things yet.
    Hi
    In this particular case, yes. Likely packaged to look for appindicator rather than a version which is how openSUSE packages it. I'm not sure it's even needed as it's not in the ldd output;

Code:
    ldd /usr/local/bin/XMind
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12