Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Transmission - RPC web GUI not accessable through firewall

  1. #1

    Default Transmission - RPC web GUI not accessable through firewall

    Leap 15.1
    Transmission

    Running Transmission daemon in a "server" style set-up. Clients cannot connect to the Transmission server web GUI while the firewall is enabled. Works OK with firewall disabled.

    Adding "transmission-client" to the firewall "Allowed" list with YAST gives no improvement. Unable to find what port is given by the "transmission-client" entry or how to edit it.

    This document says that the "services" are supposed to come from /etc/services ... which is reputedly drawn from this iana.org list. However, there is no "transmission-client" entry in this list. I can't tell what the "transmission-client" service entry in YAST actually opens.

    The needed port is 9091 which I note conflicts with the iana.org list entry for "xmltec-xmlmail" for port 9091. This might be a clue.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,296
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Transmission - RPC web GUI not accessable through firewall

    whenever a web browser is used to access a server, if no special non-default port is used then you have to open port 80 for unencrypted and port 443 for encrypted (SSL) connections. The IP address should be the same as the main application (Transmission in your case).

    As far as IANA assigned port numbers, only the "low" port numbers up to 1024 should be considered nearly inviolate... Every port number higher than that is only a suggestion and of course if the "assigned service" isn't running on your machine then is irrelevant and safe to use for something else.

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Transmission - RPC web GUI not accessable through firewall

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    whenever a web browser is used to access a server, if no special non-default port is used then you have to open port 80 for unencrypted and port 443 for encrypted (SSL) connections. The IP address should be the same as the main application (Transmission in your case).
    Something must have been lost in translation because I pointed out that the Transmission GUI uses "special non-default port" 9091.

    It also works fine with the firewall disabled. The problem is in the Opensuse firewall. I cannot see or edit the port for "transmission-client" service setting in YAST to determine if its correct. I also don't see a way of easily adding services to the list.

    Web pages can be viewed fine from the server box. Apache is working fine and HTML ports are being allowed, as expected.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,391
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Transmission - RPC web GUI not accessable through firewall

    Quote Originally Posted by SUSEtoad View Post
    It also works fine with the firewall disabled. The problem is in the Opensuse firewall. I cannot see or edit the port for "transmission-client" service setting in YAST to determine if its correct. I also don't see a way of easily adding services to the list.
    Don't use YaST for this - it has limited capability. Use the firewalld tools ie 'firewall-config' for GUI config utility or 'firewall-cmd' for CLI config utility.
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 27-Jul-2019 at 18:19.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,391
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Transmission - RPC web GUI not accessable through firewall

    BTW, the 'document' page you referred to is for SuSEfirewall2. Firewalld is what openSUSE Leap 15.x is using by default...

    https://en.opensuse.org/Firewalld
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

  6. #6

    Default Re: Transmission - RPC web GUI not accessable through firewall

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    BTW, the 'document' page you referred to is for SuSEfirewall2. Firewalld is what openSUSE Leap 15.x is using by default...

    https://en.opensuse.org/Firewalld
    Thanks

    Code:
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters. Do you feel better now, bot?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Transmission - RPC web GUI not accessable through firewall

    Editing /usr/lib/firewalld/services/transmission-client.xml to allow port 9091 for the web browser GUI interface was the solution.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,391
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Transmission - RPC web GUI not accessable through firewall

    Quote Originally Posted by SUSEtoad View Post
    Editing /usr/lib/firewalld/services/transmission-client.xml to allow port 9091 for the web browser GUI interface was the solution.
    That is one way of doing it....or allow port 9091 with...
    Code:
    sudo firewall-cmd --add-port=9091/tcp --permanent
    sudo firewall-cmd --reload
    Then check runt-time config with
    Code:
    sudo firewall-cmd --list-all
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •