Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frequent Total Freezes - Nouveau?

Default Re: Frequent Total Freezes - Nouveau?

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Are you sure you are using the nouveau DDX? Nothing you posted reports unambiguously which DDX is actually in use. The entire Xorg.0.log, or a larger section of it, would have made it so. So would output from inxi -Gxx. Before spending money or tainting your system with proprietary NVidia software, try the other FOSS option. If indeed you are using the nouveau DDX, that could be by removing the xf86-video-nouveau package. If not, and you are using the default DDX, modesetting, then add xf86-video-nouveau if it is not installed, or specify it explicitly via /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf. The modesetting DDX, which is the newer technology upstream default DDX, the only DDX I ever use intentionally for my own NVidia GPUs, all of which are at least 6 years old, can also be explicitly specified via 50-device.conf.
    Here is the output of inxi -Gxx:

Code:
    inxi -Gxx
    Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GK107 [GeForce GT 740] bus-ID: 0b:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0fc8
               Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.20.3 ) drivers: nouveau (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
               Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
               OpenGL: renderer: NVE7 version: 4.3 Mesa 18.3.2 Direct Render: Yes
    I am unfamiliar with the term DDX, so I looked it up and hunted around the nouveau Web site. I really don't want to get buried in the details of how the Xorg server operates if it's not necessary. So am I using the "nouveau DDX" or not based on the inxi report? This is a brand new install of Leap 15.1 so whatever is there is what was installed by default. According to Yast, this is what is installed: xf86-video-nouveau-1.0.15-lp151.4.1

Also in the process of browsing around, I find that apparently there have been issues before, as late as June. See here: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...l-of-Leap-15-1

So again, I'm forced to consider whether I'd be better off upgrading to a Radeon card and using the open source AMD drivers rather than spend days trying to figure out why an older Nvidia card crashes more or less randomly. At the nouveau site, their procedure for handling hangups entails things like having a second machine using SSH to try to force getting logs to explain what happened - otherwise they say explicitly, solving such problem is "nearly impossible." That doesn't fill me with confidence.

DDX is simply an easy way to distinguish identically named drivers for kernel and X apart. It works the same way with amdgpu. Without more, blaming "nouveau" or "amdgpu" is blaming both kernel and X for a problem unlikely to be a fault in both.

If you don't wish to try a possible solution that costs no money, that's up the you. All that's necessary to try the free alternative is 'zypper rm xf86-video-nouveau' (the reverse-engineered FOSS DDX for NVidia GPUs) and restart to give a more modern technology (modesetting DDX) a try. Your old GeForce may well have seen better days, but I certainly wouldn't buy a new GPU without exhausting free options first.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

DDX is simply an easy way to distinguish identically named drivers for kernel and X apart. It works the same way with amdgpu. Without more, blaming "nouveau" or "amdgpu" is blaming both kernel and X for a problem unlikely to be a fault in both.

If you don't wish to try a possible solution that costs no money, that's up the you. All that's necessary to try the free alternative is 'zypper rm xf86-video-nouveau' (the reverse-engineered FOSS DDX for NVidia GPUs) and restart to give a more modern technology (modesetting DDX) a try. Your old GeForce may well have seen better days, but I certainly wouldn't buy a new GPU without exhausting free options first.

I fail to see how DDX is even mentioned in the output I listed, but whatever.

I will try removing the xf86-video-nouveau as you suggest and see what happens over the next several days. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by richardhack View Post
    Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.20.3 ) drivers: nouveau...
    DDX where used is there to provide context, to distinguish between kernel driver of same name, and device dependent X driver. In inxi output, DDX as a context designator would be redundant, as the context is obviously Xorg, while space in that output is considered precious by its author.

The term modesetting differs between kernel and X. In the kernel, modesetting is a process (which usually goes by the nickname KMS) utilized by Intel, AMD and Nouveau kernel drivers, while in X, modesetting is a DDX driver name.

Following is an inxi version 3.0.35-0 example of use of modesetting DDX with 15.1 and a 10 year old NVidia GPU:
    Code:
    # inxi -Gxx
    Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210] vendor: eVga.com. driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0
               chip ID: 10de:0a65
               Display: server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: modesetting resolution: 1920x1200~60Hz
               OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0 128 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 18.3.2 compat-v: 3.1 direct render: Yes
    Note that the in-use kernel driver and the in-use DDX are the only drivers mentioned, unlike earlier versions, which listed possible alternative X drivers.

I look forward to seeing the results of your testing with the modesetting DDX.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

I look forward to seeing the results of your testing with the modesetting DDX.
    It failed. The system just locked up again ten minutes ago.

I will be buying an AMD video card and doing away with all this nouveau and Nvidia nonsense. Thanks for your assistance.

Adding to this thread my similar experience.

Leap 15.1
    Nvidia 390.116 drivers installed through YAST
    GTX 960 card
    Dual displays

Both screens will unexpectedly go to power-save suspend and be unrecoverable. Computer can be rebooted through SSH from another machine but nothing I've tried will recover the suspended displays.

For a Nvidia GTX 960 driver 430.40 (Release Date: 2019.7.29) is available: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driv...x/149138/en-us
    Maybe driver updating will solve your problems.

Just a follow up to my situation.

I purchased a Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 550 GV-RX550D5-2GD Rev. 2.9 video card from Newegg for $95 (plus tax and shipping). Decided I didn't need an RX 560 as the 550 was represented as more than adequate for non-gaming use and I could save $20 or so.

Did some research, but in the end found a guy who said, "Plug it in. Reboot." Did that. He was right. Worked first time, no other adjustment needed. Using the default amdgpu drivers. System even seems "faster" somehow, which might be just a hallucination on my part. Who knows, maybe it has something to do with my running an AMD Ryzen system.

The important thing - haven't had a lockup on my system since I installed it (five days, a week ago, whatever.)

Previously with the nouveau drivers I was getting lockups every day, occasionally every other day, and sometimes twice a day - especially after I removed the original drivers as was suggested in this thread, which seemed to make it worse.

So much for Nvidia and nouveau.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by richardhack View Post
    Just a follow up to my situation.

I purchased a Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 550 GV-RX550D5-2GD Rev. 2.9 video card from Newegg for $95 (plus tax and shipping). Decided I didn't need an RX 560 as the 550 was represented as more than adequate for non-gaming use and I could save $20 or so.

Did some research, but in the end found a guy who said, "Plug it in. Reboot." Did that. He was right. Worked first time, no other adjustment needed. Using the default amdgpu drivers. System even seems "faster" somehow, which might be just a hallucination on my part. Who knows, maybe it has something to do with my running an AMD Ryzen system.

The important thing - haven't had a lockup on my system since I installed it (five days, a week ago, whatever.)

Previously with the nouveau drivers I was getting lockups every day, occasionally every other day, and sometimes twice a day - especially after I removed the original drivers as was suggested in this thread, which seemed to make it worse.

So much for Nvidia and nouveau.
    Hi
    Good deal on the card Should be faster with the improved GPU and since your on a Ryzen.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12