Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA 60°C while doing nothing - How to check/change power mode?

Default NVIDIA 60°C while doing nothing - How to check/change power mode?

Hello again! :-)

I have an older Dell Precision M6300 with NVIDIA Quadro FX 1600M (G84GLM according to lspci) graphics, which has 60°C at the GPU while just sitting around doing nothing.

Comparable to this here

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...?highlight=amd

is there a way to check and modify the power settings of this card?

Many thanks in advance!
    Kind regards

raspu

Default Re: NVIDIA 60°C while doing nothing - How to check/change power mode?

PS: According to lspci the driver used is nouveau.
    Kind regards

raspu

Have you tried checking if there are proprietary drivers? It's a laptop with the dual Nvidia / intel graphics card
    ------------------------------------
    Correct me if I'm wrong .
    ------------------------------------

I don't want/need prop drivers on Tumbleweed, it's not needed and will only add complexity to updates. The machine is doing some firefox/thunderbird that's it. No 3D stuff.
    Kind regards

raspu

Quote Originally Posted by suse_rasputin View Post
    PS: According to lspci the driver used is nouveau.
    Nouveau is not the only FOSS DDX. Lspci does not report the driver X uses, only the KMS driver. Both competent FOSS DDX for NVidia hardware use the nouveau KMS driver. The upstream default for X is actually overridden by a typical openSUSE installation. Remove the optional xf86-video-nouveau rpm and X should automatically use the upstream default, named modesetting, which is provided as a part of the xorg-x11-server rpm.

Whether the modesetting DDX might work better than nouveau DDX one can only determine through use, but it is newer technology which is not reverse-engineered. If you find the modesetting does perform more satisfactorily for you, you should run
    Code:
    zypper al xf86-video-nouveau
    or employ a taboo on it in YaST to prevent it from being reinstalled. To learn better the driver situation use:
    Code:
    inxi -Gxx
    e.g.
    Code:
    # inxi -Gxx             
    Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GF119 [NVS 310] vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 
               chip ID: 10de:107d 									Fermi based
               Display: tty server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa alternate: nouveau,nv,nvidia 
               compositor: kwin_x11 resolution: 2560x1440~60Hz, 1920x1200~60Hz 
               OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0 128 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 19.0.5 compat-v: 3.1 direct render: Yes
    The GF119 is in fact a Quadro FX NVS 310, a few years newer than your 1600M.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

I don't want/need prop drivers on Tumbleweed, it's not needed and will only add complexity to updates.
    You may not need the proprietary driver but probably it handles powermanagement better than nouveau does. Just a guess but it might be worth trying.

Regards

susejunky

@ mrmazda

Ok, I did inxi, the driver was nouveau. I removed in YaST xf86-video-nouvea, applied taboo and rebooted. The inxi gives me now "driver: modesetting,nv", but temperature is stable at 60 to 64°C...

Didn't buy us much so far, I guess...

Have here old NVS 295, NVS 300 and alike, doing just fine ;-)

@mrracoon

I hate the nvidia stuff on my machines. Only buys you trouble on TW, I fear. I hope I can change the power profile, as we did in the past for the AMD graphics in the link of my first post... :-)
    Kind regards

raspu

... @mrracoon
    Guess it was me you wanted to address?

... I hate the nvidia stuff on my machines. Only buys you trouble on TW, I fear.
    If using this https://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/tumbleweed/ repository "buys you trouble" then you might want to consider using openSUSE Leap 15.1 instead of Tumbleweed.

Regards

susejunky

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by susejunky View Post
    Guess it was me you wanted to address?

If using this https://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/tumbleweed/ repository "buys you trouble" then you might want to consider using openSUSE Leap 15.1 instead of Tumbleweed.

Regards

susejunky
    Hi
    The card is not supported anymore... needs 03 (340.107) it needs patching to create a custom install run file...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Hello again! :-)

I have an older Dell Precision M6300 with NVIDIA Quadro FX 1600M (G84GLM according to lspci) graphics, which has 60°C at the GPU while just sitting around doing nothing.

Comparable to this here

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...?highlight=amd

is there a way to check and modify the power settings of this card?

Many thanks in advance!
    Hi
    Perhaps it might be time to clean out dust bunnies, check the fan and replace the thermal compound on the CPU and GPU?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast