Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VM not working after upgrade, suggests I sign kernels

Default VM not working after upgrade, suggests I sign kernels

5.2 VM wouldn't run today and before it gave me and error, I received a message suggesting I update to 6.0.

So I went into YAST deleted the 5.2 version and installed the 6.0. I then installed the matching extension pack. When I went to start it, I got the usual reminder to run /sbin/vboxconfig.

Unfortunately it won't start still. Here is the result of that command:

Code:
    /sbin/vboxconfig
    Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/vboxdrv.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/vboxdrv.service.
    Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/vboxballoonctrl-service.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/vboxballoonctrl-service.service.
    Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/vboxautostart-service.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/vboxautostart-service.service.
    Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/vboxweb-service.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/vboxweb-service.service.
    vboxdrv.sh: Stopping VirtualBox services.
    vboxdrv.sh: Starting VirtualBox services.
    vboxdrv.sh: You must sign these kernel modules before using VirtualBox:
      vboxdrv vboxnetflt vboxnetadp vboxpci
    See the documenatation for your Linux distribution..
    I tried searching this forum about how to sign those kernel modules and cannot find a solution posted.

Can anyone help with this?

Default Re: VM not working after upgrade, suggests I sign kernels

I apologize if this doesn't help at all but have you tried just reinstalling the packages?

sudo zypper install --force *all the VirtualBox packages*

I have had periodic issues with VirtualBox but this is a new one.
    If I am going to be spontaneous, I have to plan for it.

www.CubicleNate.com

Quote Originally Posted by futureboy View Post
    I apologize if this doesn't help at all but have you tried just reinstalling the packages?

sudo zypper install --force *all the VirtualBox packages*

I have had periodic issues with VirtualBox but this is a new one.
    I am willing to try that. Can you help with the correct code for "all of the VirtualBox packages". How do I find that list, or what code can I use there?

Blog Entries

Agreed,
    Unsigned modules usually is an error typically not something an End User has to deal with unless the End User is compiling and even so would be unexpected.

Somewhere in these Forums, I've described some procedures for purging Virtualbox files, and that would be similar to what you need to do.

The following should identify packages
    Code:
    zypper se 'virtual*'
    zypper se 'Virtual*'
    The second with the capital V probably will likely identify your Virtualbox packages,
    Then you should be able to do the following to force re-install those packages
    Code:
    zypper in -f package_1 package_2
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Agreed,
    Unsigned modules usually is an error typically not something an End User has to deal with unless the End User is compiling and even so would be unexpected.

Somewhere in these Forums, I've described some procedures for purging Virtualbox files, and that would be similar to what you need to do.

The following should identify packages
    Code:
    zypper se 'virtual*'
    zypper se 'Virtual*'
    The second with the capital V probably will likely identify your Virtualbox packages,
    Then you should be able to do the following to force re-install those packages
    Code:
    zypper in -f package_1 package_2
    TSU
    Here is the output to that command. I notice there is still a 5.2 package lingering in there. I'm thinking I should use the command line to remove that. Do you agree? If so, what is the exact code?

Code:
    linux-vqod:~ # zypper se 'virtual*'
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

S | Name                           | Summary                                          | Type      
    --+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+-----------
      | virtualbox                     | VirtualBox is an Emulator                        | package   
      | virtualbox                     | VirtualBox is an Emulator                        | srcpackage
      | virtualbox-devel               | Devel files for virtualbox                       | package   
      | virtualbox-guest-desktop-icons | Icons for guest desktop files                    | package   
      | virtualbox-guest-kmp-default   | Guest kernel modules for VirtualBox              | package   
      | virtualbox-guest-source        | Source files for virtualbox guest kernel modules | package   
      | virtualbox-guest-tools         | VirtualBox guest tools                           | package   
      | virtualbox-guest-x11           | VirtualBox X11 drivers for mouse and video       | package   
      | virtualbox-host-kmp-default    | Host kernel module for VirtualBox                | package   
      | virtualbox-host-source         | Source files for virtualbox host kernel modules  | package   
      | virtualbox-qt                  | Qt GUI part for virtualbox                       | package   
      | virtualbox-vnc                 | VNC desktop sharing                              | package   
      | virtualbox-websrv              | WebService GUI part for virtualbox               | package   
    linux-vqod:~ # zypper se 'Virtual*'

S  | Name            | Summary                                                      | Type      
    ---+-----------------+--------------------------------------------------------------+-----------
       | VirtualBox-5.2  | Oracle VM VirtualBox                                         | package   
    i+ | VirtualBox-6.0  | Oracle VM VirtualBox                                         | package   
       | VirtualGL       | A toolkit for displaying OpenGL applications to thin clients | package   
       | VirtualGL       | A toolkit for displaying OpenGL applications to thin clients | srcpackage
       | VirtualGL-32bit | A toolkit for displaying OpenGL applications to thin clients | package   
       | VirtualGL-devel | A toolkit for displaying OpenGL applications to thin clients | package

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rgietzen View Post
    Here is the output to that command. I notice there is still a 5.2 package lingering in there. I'm thinking I should use the command line to remove that. Do you agree? If so, what is the exact code?

Code:
    linux-vqod:~ # zypper se 'virtual*'

S | Name                           | Summary                                          | Type      
    --+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+-----------
      | virtualbox                     | VirtualBox is an Emulator                        | package   
      | virtualbox                     | VirtualBox is an Emulator                        | srcpackage
      | virtualbox-devel               | Devel files for virtualbox                       | package   
      | virtualbox-guest-desktop-icons | Icons for guest desktop files                    | package   
      | virtualbox-guest-kmp-default   | Guest kernel modules for VirtualBox              | package   
      | virtualbox-guest-source        | Source files for virtualbox guest kernel modules | package   
      | virtualbox-guest-tools         | VirtualBox guest tools                           | package   
      | virtualbox-guest-x11           | VirtualBox X11 drivers for mouse and video       | package   
      | virtualbox-host-kmp-default    | Host kernel module for VirtualBox                | package   
      | virtualbox-host-source         | Source files for virtualbox host kernel modules  | package   
      | virtualbox-qt                  | Qt GUI part for virtualbox                       | package   
      | virtualbox-vnc                 | VNC desktop sharing                              | package   
      | virtualbox-websrv              | WebService GUI part for virtualbox               | package   
    linux-vqod:~ # zypper se 'Virtual*'

S  | Name            | Summary                                                      | Type      
    ---+-----------------+--------------------------------------------------------------+-----------
       | VirtualBox-5.2  | Oracle VM VirtualBox                                         | package   
    i+ | VirtualBox-6.0  | Oracle VM VirtualBox                                         | package   
       | VirtualGL       | A toolkit for displaying OpenGL applications to thin clients | package   
       | VirtualGL       | A toolkit for displaying OpenGL applications to thin clients | srcpackage
       | VirtualGL-32bit | A toolkit for displaying OpenGL applications to thin clients | package   
       | VirtualGL-devel | A toolkit for displaying OpenGL applications to thin clients | package
    The only package that is installed is the one with the I or I+ and is highlighted in red.
    I'm a bit surprised that you don't have virtualbox-host-kmp-default installed, which should be your kernel modules.

So, your command to force re-installation which would include ensuring your kernel modules should be re-installed is
    Code:
    zypper in -f Virtualbox-6.0
    TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

The only package that is installed is the one with the I or I+ and is highlighted in red.
    I'm a bit surprised that you don't have virtualbox-host-kmp-default installed, which should be your kernel modules.

So, your command to force re-installation which would include ensuring your kernel modules should be re-installed is
    Code:
    zypper in -f Virtualbox-6.0
    TSU
    I used that command, but it says the 6.0 package is not found. That's odd. Here is the exact output:

Code:
    linux-vqod:~ # zypper in -f Virtualbox-6.0
    Retrieving repository 'openSUSE-Leap-15.0-Update' metadata ...................................................................................[done]
    Building repository 'openSUSE-Leap-15.0-Update' cache ........................................................................................[done]
    Package 'Virtualbox-6.0' not found.
    Resolving package dependencies...

Nothing to do.
    Also, now when I open the VM it says that the ext pack is out dated and wants to upgrade to 6.0.10. I think I should ignore that, because it won't be matching the host program. True?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rgietzen View Post
    I used that command, but it says the 6.0 package is not found. That's odd. Here is the exact output:

Code:
    linux-vqod:~ # zypper in -f Virtualbox-6.0
    Retrieving repository 'openSUSE-Leap-15.0-Update' metadata ...................................................................................[done]
    Building repository 'openSUSE-Leap-15.0-Update' cache ........................................................................................[done]
    Package 'Virtualbox-6.0' not found.
    Resolving package dependencies...

Nothing to do.
    Also, now when I open the VM it says that the ext pack is out dated and wants to upgrade to 6.0.10. I think I should ignore that, because it won't be matching the host program. True?
    Well, I didn't question your output but I don't have "Virtualbox-6.0" on my system, either.
    I also don't know on my systems how Virtualbox 5.2 and Virtualbox 6.0 are distinguishable on the same system, I don't have an openSUSE 15.0 set up to inspect at the mement... and that is the only version of openSUSE that it's possible to have either. I look at openSUSE 15.1 and only Virtualbox 6.0 is available (Do you have any thoughts about upgrading soon?).

Let's try to find out what this package is...
    First, run the command again to see if you get the same result
    Code:
    zypper se 'Virtual*'
    and if you still see Virtualbox-6.0, then run the following
    Code:
    zypper info Virtualbox-6.0
    TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Well, I didn't question your output but I don't have "Virtualbox-6.0" on my system, either.
    I also don't know on my systems how Virtualbox 5.2 and Virtualbox 6.0 are distinguishable on the same system, I don't have an openSUSE 15.0 set up to inspect at the mement... and that is the only version of openSUSE that it's possible to have either. I look at openSUSE 15.1 and only Virtualbox 6.0 is available (Do you have any thoughts about upgrading soon?).

Let's try to find out what this package is...
    First, run the command again to see if you get the same result
    Code:
    zypper se 'Virtual*'
    and if you still see Virtualbox-6.0, then run the following
    Code:
    zypper info Virtualbox-6.0
    TSU

Information for package VirtualBox-6.0:
    ---------------------------------------
    Repository : VirtualBox for openSUSE 15.0 - x86_64
    Name : VirtualBox-6.0
    Version : 6.0.10_132072_openSUSE150-1
    Arch : x86_64
    Vendor : Oracle Corporation
    Installed Size : 206.2 MiB
    Installed : Yes
    Source package : VirtualBox-6.0-6.0.10_132072_openSUSE150-1.src
    Summary : Oracle VM VirtualBox
    Description :
    VirtualBox is a powerful PC virtualization solution allowing
    you to run a wide range of PC operating systems on your Linux
    system. This includes Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, DOS, OpenBSD
    and others. VirtualBox comes with a broad feature set and
    excellent performance, making it the premier virtualization
    software solution on the market.

Blog Entries

OK,
    It looks like you have an odd repository configured...
    Looks like you don't have Virtualbox from openSUSE,
    You have an Oracle repository configured, so that means you've installed Oracle Virtualbox instead.

That generally explains your kernel modules error,
    Oracle Virtualobx will compile on the fly using sources from Oracle,
    whereas
    If you had installed openSUSE Virtualbox, then your kernel modules would have been pre-compiled.

It can also mean that it's important to know what you had installed before...
    Was your Virtualbox 5.2 from Oracle also or from openSUSE?
    If from openSUSE, then you would have had to manually remove Virtualbox before doing your upgrade.
    If you had Oracle Virtualbox, then I would have expected your upgrade to 6.0 should have removed the 5.2 kernel modules, but maybe there was a problem...

It may also be informative to know exactly what virtualbox components are on your system.

Install the package "mlocate" if you haven't already(locate is a much faster utility to find files on files on your system than "find"),
    Then run the following to populate the locate database
    Code:
    updatedb
    Then you can find and display files using any combination of text strings and paths you wish, do this to find anything named and related to virtualbox on your system
    Code:
    locate virtualbox
    locate Virtualbox
    What we're generally looking for, and want to try to identify any Virtualbox files which might have a name that suggest a version that's not 6.0, or the same version.

As long as you're doing all this,
    You might as well also verify that the necessary dependencies to compile kernel modules are installed on your system. all of the following should be displayed in the result to the following command
    Code:
    zypper si make gcc kernel-devel kernel-default-devel

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast