Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Epson 4530 printer

Blog Entries

Default Re: Epson 4530 printer

Quote Originally Posted by dougmack View Post
    Tried to post the whole thing, but it's too long.

lots more errors. Listing them is too long for this forum, and the listings were rejected. If there is another path to send this to you, please advise.
    For sharing lengthy output, you can use https://paste.opensuse.org/ (in a web browser), copy the output there,and post the link that it generates here. Alternatively, if susepaste package is installed, something like (-e is for expiry time option in minutes eg 40320 minutes ---> 1 month)
    Code:
    susepaste -e 40320 ~/.local/share/sddm/xorg-session.log

PS: Is HPLIP responsible for an Epson printer/scanner?
    No.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

As I mentioned before, you could try creating a new user account (via YaST), and then login in to the desktop as the newly created user. See if the problem is still evident.

I tried to do the paste from the browser, but it seems not to have gone. Will try again.
    (There seems to be an error in the suggested command. but I do have the pasted routine on the machine.
    I found the file anyway, with a bit of difficulty.)

[CODE}
    linux-4qnb:~ # susepaste -e 40320 ~/.local/share/sddm/xorg-session.log
    Can't read /root/.local/share/sddm/xorg-session.log
    [/CODE]

pasted file is at https://paste.opensuse.org/41884137

I hope it works this time.

--doug

Got 404not found when I tried to open the file in Firefox after sending. Don't know what to do now. --doug

Blog Entries

I tried to do the paste from the browser, but it seems not to have gone. Will try again.
    (There seems to be an error in the suggested command. but I do have the pasted routine on the machine.

[CODE}
    [/CODE]
    No the file of interest is NOT /root/.local/share/sddm/xorg-session.log , it's the user-session log eg /home/doug/.local/share/sddm/xorg-session.log

--doug
    Nope, it doesn't exist.

Blog Entries

Got 404not found when I tried to open the file in Firefox after sending. Don't know what to do now. --doug
    Follow my suggestion (post #72) about creating a new desktop user account. If you can't do the things that are requested, I'm done with helping here.

[CODE}
    [/CODE]

--doug
    This is again things done as root which should NOT be done as root.
    Nobody can help you if you are can not very seriously make a difference bweteen doing things as root and as normal user. You will brake your system in no time (maybe already).
    Henk van Velden

I have setup the command line in alt-F2 xterm, which produces a user-type console, however, I cannot hilite and copy from there--I don't know why. I could hilite and copy from the user console in PCLOS, which is useless to me anymore, since so many apps have been removed. If someone knows a way to hilite and copy from this user console, I would like to know. The log file is probably 50 lines
    and I can't copy that by hand! (To clarify: I can hilite the command output, but I cannot copy it. Ctrl-shift-c does not work on this console.)

If I am not mistaken, if I create a new user, all the apps I have installed will be gone and I will be presented with a blank screen, as well as not being able to access files I have saved as me.

--doug

Blog Entries

Why not just use 'konsole'? That's the native KDE terminal emulator.

If I am not mistaken, if I create a new user, all the apps I have installed will be gone and I will be presented with a blank screen, as well as not being able to access files I have saved as me.

--doug
    The idea of creating the new user is for testing the scanner environment! You keep the existing user account as well.

Blog Entries

From everything I've read here, Doug, I only have one thought: "Reinstall, incl. everything". Your current system is a mess. I've seen PCLOS and I was horrified by it's insecurity in many levels. openSUSE has a different approach with a clean separation between system ( root ) and user ( doug ). Accept that the system or someone here will tell you when you need root permissions, and do not use them otherwise.
    FWIW Applications work for all users if you install them as packages on the system, Widgets only work for the user.
    Last edited by Knurpht; 18-Aug-2019 at 12:47.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast