Thread: How to debug a gnome extension.

Default How to debug a gnome extension.

I am a gnome user. One of my extensions (taskbar) partially works. If some close of another function takes place, the logic applied is close/open the existing extension.
    This is where the problem occurs.
    I would like to put some debugging code that displays or logs the progress of the extension in order to discover the point of failure.
    zenity seems to be a tool to send messages to the screen. Is it appropriate since I do not know the side effects of using it.

If someone wants a copy of the extension, I can provide my partially working copy.

Default Re: How to debug a gnome extension.

In this sub-forum, one would expect that you explain "How to debug a gnome extension.".

As this is a question, it will be moved to Applications and is CLOSED for the moment.
    Henk van Velden

Moved from Unreviewed FAQ and Howto and open again.

@lsatenstein, please post the version of openSUSE you use o we can label this thread accordingly.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
    I am a gnome user. One of my extensions (taskbar) partially works. If some close of another function takes place, the logic applied is close/open the existing extension.
    This is where the problem occurs.
    I would like to put some debugging code that displays or logs the progress of the extension in order to discover the point of failure.
    zenity seems to be a tool to send messages to the screen. Is it appropriate since I do not know the side effects of using it.

If someone wants a copy of the extension, I can provide my partially working copy.
    Hi
    Looking Glass (press alt+F2, then enter lg, then press <enter>, press the esc key to exit) https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeShell/LookingGlass
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Looking Glass (press alt+F2, then enter lg, then press <enter>, press the esc key to exit) https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeShell/LookingGlass
    Looking Glass looks interesting but doesn't appear to support breakpoints although it looks like it supports javascript injection on the fly.
    Which means it probably requires locating source, loading it up and executing similar to an IDE instead of doing runtime debugging like what you see in most web browsers today.

If you think that your problem might write to the system log,
    You might want to try opening a console and leaving it open running the following which will display system log entries in real time.... or simply search the journal after a reboot.
    Code:
    journalctl -f
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!