Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost sound

Default Lost sound

Tumbleweed. System updated within the last week. PC is new. Sound comes from PC sound output to Logitech sound system--when it comes! Was listening to songs on YouTube when one would not play, and now nothing
    from YouTube plays. Tried rebooting, but no help. Is this possibly a Pule Audio problem? Do I need to install some PA app or file to get this back, and if so, what? (I'm new to OpenSUSE, but not to Linux, and I know
    that PA is kind of funky.) All assistance gratefully accepted!
    --doug

Default Re: Lost sound

Quote Originally Posted by dougmack View Post
    Tumbleweed. System updated within the last week. PC is new. Sound comes from PC sound output to Logitech sound system--when it comes! Was listening to songs on YouTube when one would not play, and now nothing
    from YouTube plays. Tried rebooting, but no help. Is this possibly a Pule Audio problem? Do I need to install some PA app or file to get this back, and if so, what? (I'm new to OpenSUSE, but not to Linux, and I know
    that PA is kind of funky.) All assistance gratefully accepted!
    --doug
    Followup: YouTube still no sound, but I put a CD in the CD drive and it plays fine. Now I'm really confused!

Blog Entries

Which browser? The relevant codecs installed?
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Further to deano_ferrari's response .... Note that Pulse Audio provides the capability to control sound on a per application basis. So its entirely feasible one can tune their pulse audio such that sound plays from a CD, but will not play from a browser.

The application that many of us use to control sound on a per application basis, is "pulse audio volume control" (pavucontrol). Try installing pulse audio volume control and see if that may be your issue.

I created a blog entry years ago about pulse audio volume control (for openSUSE-11.4) and I believe it is still relevant today with Tumbleweed and latest LEAP.

You can read the explanation on how to use pulse audio volume control (pavucontrol) here: Pulseaudio Basics for openSUSE with pavucontrol Edit Blog Entry

Default Re: Lost sound--partly solved

Browser is Firefox. I had made an icon on the screen from the address of Youtube, and it was working, but stopped. I did suspect Pulse Audio, so I followed the previous advice and installed pavucontrol. Opened up
    the Youtube icon again, and the PAVUcontrol, and found that in the Playback box, AudioStreamServer: Audio Stream was set to 0, so moved the cursor in it to about 60 % and got good audio from Youtube. However,
    when the particular segment of the stream played to the end, the sound stopped again, and the slider was back to 0. This is a pain! I wonder if there is any way to make that performance stop, and leave the slider at
    whatever point I set it all the time?

Thanx for the advice!

--doug

Blog Entries

This reads like progress. I'll let others advise further about the pavucontrol sliders though.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Default Re: Lost sound--partly solved

Quote Originally Posted by dougmack View Post
    However, when the particular segment of the stream played to the end, the sound stopped again, and the slider was back to 0. This is a pain! I wonder if there is any way to make that performance stop, and leave the slider at whatever point I set it all the time?
    Have you surfed the web and tried any of the various solutions to ensure audio volume does not change with pulse audio between application executions? I never use sound the precise way you do wrt a browser icon, so I can not say if that is the issue ... nor if it is something else. I can say I have never experienced the behavour you report with pulse audio, hence I can not give you any advice that I have tested and thus be assured it will work for you.

My system 'just works'.

You could check out the suggestions in these links below, or try surfing yourself and try some of the suggestions.Its really pointless for me to do too much more, as I can not reproduce the issue you have.

Plus other approaches - which one can try.

Perhaps if I could reproduce your issue I could be more specific, but I can not reproduce it - and there are multiple ways to go about this.

Now things are worse! I tried one of the things from the Ubuntu list (shown above), specifically "alsactl store" and now I have lost the whole second cursor element that used to open in "playback" called
    on my laptop Built in audio analog stereo. In other words, there should be TWO cursors under the playback section of PAVU, and there were, yesterday. I don't know how to get this back. I did a man for
    alsactl and there is no command "store" listed, but it certainly did SOMETHING, and the man file shows a command restore, but that did nothing. Now I'm back to no sound at all again.
    Apparently, Pulse Audio is a front end to ALSA. I guess what I need now is someone who understands alsa and PA (if anyone actually does!)
    The Ubuntu source states that the "fix" will reappear on every boot, so it's likely to be somewhere in alsa, or even in the boot routine, and I need to know how to get rid of it.
    Thanx for any help--doug

Well all settings in any case are stored in your user home directory under ~/.config. Also stuff in ~/.cache may have gotten stuck.. clearing pulse and alsa files from those two should bring you back to step 1

Thank you, gogelthorpe! Back to the same routine, where a second slider under Playback, called "AudioIPC Server: AudioStream" comes up when there is a sound source from YouTube on screen. The slider disappears when
    there is no sound, and resets to zero when a new sound source from YouTube appears, and then I have to reset the level on that slider ot something that lets me hear the sound. I never had that problem with the Pulse Audio
    Volume Control before (with a different OS) and I thought it worked without resetting for a number of songs before it reverted to this behavior. There must be a setting somewhere that fixes that, but I have no idea where to look.
    Did look at a big file -- man alsactl, since that's where the sound ceased altogether, but could not figure out where the problem originated. Used KFind to look for "AudioIPC Server, but found nothing, so it must be a line in
    some file somewhere. (I seem to recall that there is some command that searches all files for a specific word or word combination, but I can't find it in "Linux in a Nutshell" so maybe I'm wrong.)

From my laptop, where this problem of resetting the audio to zero when a song ends doesn't exist, and a link which I found from the net, it appears that this may be controlled from the browser, which in this case is Thunderbird.
    More and more mysterious! The app on the laptop is a couple of years old, and it's possible that it was changed before I installed Tumbleweed--just about a month ago.

I'm digging i to Google to see if I can find anything I can understand, and if I do, I will report back. Meantime I will be very happy to hear from someone who has been there and fixed that!
    --doug

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast