Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lost sound

Blog Entries

Default Re: Lost sound

Quote Originally Posted by dougmack View Post
    Now things are worse! I tried one of the things from the Ubuntu list (shown above), specifically "alsactl store" and now I have lost the whole second cursor element that used to open in "playback" called on my laptop Built in audio analog stereo.
    gogalthorp suggestion to look in the /home/yourusername/.config is a good idea. You could for example rename the directory /home/yourusername/.config/pulse to say "pulse-not-work-well' and next time you restart pulse (such as a reboot) that will be recreated with default settings that you can then tune. The advantage of renaming (instead of deleting) is one can always restore the old file.

I do not know where openSUSE stores information from alsactl. It used to be in an "asound' (or "asound.state" ) file located somewhere .... but I am not up to date wrt how this integrates with pulse audio.

Note also, one can tune the underlying alsa volume settings, by running as a regular user (in a konsole/xterm) "alsamixer". Then use the 'arrow' keys and the 'function' keys to navigate in that konsole/xterm alsamixer menu.

It would be a lot easier for us if we were sitting down at your PC, ... unfortunately such is not possible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I do not know where openSUSE stores information from alsactl. ....
    Note also, one can tune the underlying alsa volume settings, by running as a regular user (in a konsole/xterm) "alsamixer".
    While not Tumbleweed, I note for LEAP-15.1, according to the manual :

The volume and configuration of all sound cards are saved when you click OK and leave the YaST sound module. The mixer settings are saved to the file /etc/asound.state . The ALSA configuration data is appended to the end of the file /etc/modprobe.d/sound and written to /etc/sysconfig/sound .

Possibly that could be a place to start looking if the renaming in ~/.config of the pulse directory did not help.

Blog Entries

You mentioned ‘thunderbird’ when referencing your browser, but that’s an email client. Perhaps you meant ‘firefox’. A thread describing similar behaviour with PA....

https://askubuntu.com/questions/9670...se-volume-to-0

It was found that deleting the existing Mozilla profile solved the user’s issue. You could try renaming the ~/.mozilla directory, then restart Firefox and see if that eliminates the unwanted behaviour.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

Usually if I encounter volume problems I always solve with Pvucontrol, I saw that there has already been mentioned there is a setting in> configuration> internal audio> find a drop-down menu, try to change the output (mine works fine with "Analogic Stereo") or you can also intervene from Yast> Harware> sound, you can also disable Pulseaudio using Alsa, good work
    ------------------------------------
    Correct me if I'm wrong .
    ------------------------------------

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12