Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some help with network setup and internet access SUSE 13.2

Default Re: Need some help with network setup and internet access SUSE 13.2

Working through TSU2's recommendations here's where things go:

Code:
    systemctl restart network.service
    Failed to restart network.service: Unit network.service failed to load: No such file or direcotry.
    Code:
    systemctl status network.service
    network.service
    Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
    Active: inactive (dead)
    Code:
    systemd-analyze critical-chain network.service
    The time after the unit is active or started is printed after the "@" character.
    The time the unit takes to start is printed after the "+" character.

<no output>
    From here, I went into YaST and attempted to change the global option to NetworkManager but it complained saying "Network Manager deamon not running, needs a desktop applet to run, make sure this is on" then proceeded to do nothing.
    So I updated the service to wicked and restarted the computer. Now I'm getting the following:

Code:
    Wicked.service - wicked managed network interfaces
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/widked.service; enabled) 
    Active: (exited) since Tue ... timestamp
    Process: 990  Execstart/usr/sbin/wicked --systemd ifup all (code=exited, status=0/success)
    Main FID: 990 (code=exitd, status=0/success)
    CGroup: /system.slice/wicked.service

Jul 16 ... : device eth0-save: operation timed out
    Jul 16 ... : lo     up
    Jul 16 ... : eth0   up
    Jul 16 ... : eth0-save  no-device
    Jul 16 ... : started wicked managed network interfaces
    Still not able to ping 8.8.8.8 - it says "Host unreachable" and I get a timeout on ping google.com.

This is something resembling progress but still not going too far - before I would just get an unknown host error with ping google.com now it just sits there and times out.

Quick update as well after switching the service to wicked:

With the eth0 device setup for a statically assigned IP address from my works network registration I'm getting the following status:

Code:
    Wicked.service - wicked managed network interfaces
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/widked.service; enabled) 
    Active: (exited) since Tue ... timestamp
    Process: 990  Execstart/usr/sbin/wicked --systemd ifup all (code=exited, status=0/success)
    Main FID: 990 (code=exitd, status=0/success)
    CGroup: /system.slice/wicked.service

Jul 16 ... : started wicked managed network interfaces
    Jul 16 ... : Reloading wicked managed network interfaces
    Jul 16 ... : Reloading wicked managed network interface
    Jul 16 ... : eth0   device-ready
    Trying to ping some things, still getting time out / unknown

Code:
    ping 8.8.8.8 
    ... destination host unreachable 
    ping google.com
    ping: uknown host google.com
    I get basically the same result regardless of whether I'm using a DHCP or static IP setup in YaST. through my network adminstrator I have a statially assigned IP address, however, the last time I was able to get this box online I had Yast configured with DCHP and that worked even though we tried with the statically assigned IP address which didn't reach the internet.

I am getting an output from systemd-analyze though:

Code:
    # systemd-analyze critical-chain network.service
    The time after the unit is active or started is printed after the "@" character.
    The time the unit takes to start is printed after the "+" character.

network.target @31.481s
    └─wickedd-nanny.service @30.768s +712ms
      └─wickedd.service @30.768s
        └─widkedd-dhcp6.service @17.112s +13.655s
          └─dbus.service.service @18.674s +5.473s
            └─basic.target @14.884s
              └─timers.target @14.884s
                └─systemd-tmpfiles-clean.timer @14.884s
                  └─sytinit.target @14.845s
                    └─apparmor.service @20.579s +9ms
                      └─systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service @3.006s +867ms
                        └─local-fs.target @16.431s
                           |__ run0user-1000-gyfs.mount @1min 9.9s 
                               |__local-fs-pre.target @003s 
                                  |__system-remount-fs.service @3.6s
                                      |_system-readahead-replay.service
                                         |_system.slice
                                            └─-.slice

Any other tips before I go the route TSU2 said about reinstalling all of the network components of the system?

Blog Entries

Hi
    With wicked did you set a static ip address for eth0? If so, you also need to set the default gateway and DNS entries... did you do this?

What is eth0-save? Does it show in the main YaST network setting GUI page?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    With wicked did you set a static ip address for eth0? If so, you also need to set the default gateway and DNS entries... did you do this?

What is eth0-save? Does it show in the main YaST network setting GUI page?

Hi Malcolmlewis - thanks for the reply!

I have tried setting up eth0 as both a static and DHCP IP. Neither have worked for me unfortunately. When I set it statically through YaST I just input the IP address, the subnet mask, and the Hostname - I am not sure how to set the default gateway and DNS entries: pardon me for not knowing, but are these also set in YaST? I don't see anything talking about DNS or default gateway on the "General", "Address", or "Hardware" tabs of the edit Device page in YaST. Under "Hostname/DNS" I see the Hostname and Domain Name have information in them ("linuxDWL" and "site" - values which I haven't changed since getting into this mess but which seem right?). The Modify DNS configuration is set to "Use Default Policy".

Is it under the Routing page? I see some IPv4 and IPv6 gateway information and a routing table - everything is empty right now though, is this where I would assign that and where should I find the right gateway string / number?

To answer your question about "what is eth0-save", that is a LAN connection we make to another computer on the tool which this computer is for, it's a bit obnoxious but the tool interfaces with a Windows machine, a linux box, and an OS9 computer. the eth0-save is the connection to the OS9 computer.

Thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mr4nders0n View Post
    Hi Malcolmlewis - thanks for the reply!

I have tried setting up eth0 as both a static and DHCP IP. Neither have worked for me unfortunately. When I set it statically through YaST I just input the IP address, the subnet mask, and the Hostname - I am not sure how to set the default gateway and DNS entries: pardon me for not knowing, but are these also set in YaST? I don't see anything talking about DNS or default gateway on the "General", "Address", or "Hardware" tabs of the edit Device page in YaST. Under "Hostname/DNS" I see the Hostname and Domain Name have information in them ("linuxDWL" and "site" - values which I haven't changed since getting into this mess but which seem right?). The Modify DNS configuration is set to "Use Default Policy".

Is it under the Routing page? I see some IPv4 and IPv6 gateway information and a routing table - everything is empty right now though, is this where I would assign that and where should I find the right gateway string / number?

To answer your question about "what is eth0-save", that is a LAN connection we make to another computer on the tool which this computer is for, it's a bit obnoxious but the tool interfaces with a Windows machine, a linux box, and an OS9 computer. the eth0-save is the connection to the OS9 computer.

Thanks
    Hi
    Yes, if setting the static ip address the other information needs to be added, dns servers eg openDNS (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) and then the ip address of your router as the gateway.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Default Finally got it

Got it: seems like the device assignment was messed up because of the previous networking between the OS9 computer on the tool and the campus network.

Recall I had the eht0-save device setup with a 170.168.11.77 IP address that was statically assigned - this was to connect via ethernet to the OS9 computer. The other device was the NM10 ... LAN eth0 which should have been reaching the network and internet.

Seemed like there was a conflict between the two devices and I essentially had to manually remove the eth0-save device configuration with
    Code:
    ifdown eth0
    Then assign it to DHCP in YaST then manually bring it back up with
    Code:
    ifup eth0
    which finally accepted the network assigned IP address for the machine

At this point the IP address was correct but I still wasn't able to ping google.com and needed to update the routing by manually adding a default gateway:

Code:
    route add default gw 128.2.56.1
    Probably could have been done through YaST as well but essentially Malcomlewis was right: It was a combination of messed up eth0 device and gateway assignment

Thanks for the replies and help trouble shooting this issue

Blog Entries

Following your posts,
    I can see your progress.

IIRC adding the router by command line as you did won't be persistent,
    ]You either need to edit the interface file directly (the old way) or in YaST where you would have used the Global Options tab, you also have a routing tab where you can set your Default Gateway and a Hostnames tab where you can set your DNS servers.

Keep in mind setting up using Wicked and YaST means your network settings will be lost if you take your computer to another network and set up a new network connection unless you can configure as a DHCP client on both networks, then you only have to restart your network service.

If your machine is portable and used in many networks,
    You'll want to set up using Network Manager.

Keep up your good work, you're making progress and learning...

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12