Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Palemoon

Blog Entries

Default Re: Palemoon

A repository is just a location that contains packages and might have some metadata to to describe the repository's configuration.
    I talk about the importance of repos you can add for just about anything in my following slide deck for newbie openSUSE Users... Open a web browser to some of those locations and you'll see there are well over a thousand provided by openSUSE or communities... and there are additional like what you are using that are considered private repos created and maintained by individuals.

https://slides.com/tonysu/opensuse/#/16

Actually,
    The method you used to create a repository file is the "hard way" but is the usual standard way in all distros.

On openSUSE, you have an alternative that's infinitely simpler.. which by being so simple reduces errors greatly.

Instead of creating a repo file with formatted content,
    You can add a repo with only the known location... And can give the repository any name you choose.
    Code:
    zypper --addrepo repository_path repository_name
    After the above, you only need to refresh (update your local repository cache) with the following command and when prompted accept the GPG key
    Code:
    zypper ref
    So, for example to add the newmoon repository you might use the following command (using abbreviations for add repo and adding the option for your repository to update along with your other repos when you do a system update)
    Code:
    zypper ar -f https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/network/openSUSE_Leap_15.1/ network_repo
    How's that for easy?

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

As indicated in post #6, only one step is required once you have located the repo you wish to add: save its .repo file to /etc/zypp/repos.d/.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Sorry, didn't find this thread earlier. I use palemoon on different machines without any install, just download the linux bzipped tarball

http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/

extract it in home or whereever and link from desktop to the palemoon file to start. As the software is configured to check for updates automagically I get the latest version when I click "install"...

PS: for using no-script I had to download from no-script website recently, no install from addon repo.
    Kind regards

raspu

I'll add that I have been using Palemoon on Leap 15.1 (typing this right now) and it works fine with the tarball download extracted to an appropriate directory. Mac OS X uses a technique of an "Applications" directory in each user's home (along with the usual Documents, Photos, Music ...) where users can put applications that only they need RW access to. This technique works for me in Leap as well. There may be a better Linux way, however.

Quote Originally Posted by SUSEtoad View Post
    I'll add that I have been using Palemoon on Leap 15.1 (typing this right now) and it works fine with the tarball download extracted to an appropriate directory. Mac OS X uses a technique of an "Applications" directory in each user's home (along with the usual Documents, Photos, Music ...) where users can put applications that only they need RW access to. This technique works for me in Leap as well. There may be a better Linux way, however.
    Similar to the unix and linux version of a user's bin directory?
    "Making rich people richer doesn't make the rest of us richer."
    Ha-Joon Chang

openSUSE 15.0 4.12.14-lp150.12.45-default x64

I extract tarballs to suitably named subdirectories in /usr/local/, so that all users on a PC have access to them as if they had been installed via an rpm, and /home/ isn't bloated by multiple copies of the same applications.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Quote Originally Posted by kerijan2003 View Post
    Similar to the unix and linux version of a user's bin directory?
    Partially. Except that those dirs have root permission requirements that need to be fooled with to work.

Quote Originally Posted by SUSEtoad View Post
    Partially. Except that those dirs have root permission requirements that need to be fooled with to work.
    OMG! When did that change? My user's bin has always been the user's permission, not root's. Guess I've been doing this wrong for 20 years!
    "Making rich people richer doesn't make the rest of us richer."
    Ha-Joon Chang

openSUSE 15.0 4.12.14-lp150.12.45-default x64

Quote Originally Posted by kerijan2003 View Post
    OMG! When did that change? My user's bin has always been the user's permission, not root's. Guess I've been doing this wrong for 20 years!
    I'm unsure of what distro you've been using for 20 years. In OpenSuse, /usr is root:root by default.

Obviously, a user can make whatever dirs they want in their home folder. Which just circles back to my OS X example where each user has their own "Applications" directory.

Feel welcome to keep trying to be funny with sarcasm, however.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    As indicated in post #6, only one step is required once you have located the repo you wish to add: save its .repo file to /etc/zypp/repos.d/.
    Thanks, but I still don't understand how one is supposed to locate the repository I wish to add?
    I was searching for Android-Tools and apparently they're not in the basic repositories but in some "Harware" repository, which is not listed in the OpenSuse documentation about repositories https://en.opensuse.org/Package_repositories

The XFCE repository is listed on this page as a "semi-official repository" and I added it but I still can't find the xfce-desktop package with zypper?

Is there some page with something like the repository tree with advices on which ones are guaranteed safe?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast