Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Slacker's Impression of Tumbleweed

Default A Slacker's Impression of Tumbleweed

I'm a long time Slackware user (since the 90s) but every once in a while I like to switch things up a bit and as I recently bought a new laptop I thought I would give Tumbleweed a spin as I hadn't tried openSUSE in years.

My early try of openSUSE years ago didn't impress me much. I found it to be very sluggish and a bit buggy so I am currently very pleased with how far it has come since then. The OS is quite snappy and, so far, not at all buggy.

I installed TW on a new Dell Inspiron 15 7000 with an i5 processor, 8GB RAM, and a 256GB SSD. The install went very smoothly although I did change from some of the defaults, setting up a root password and using ext4 / partition. Gnome desktop as I have never cared for KDE.

I very much like the idea of using tumbleweed-cli to set up snapshots to control updates/upgrades. Makes a lot of sense. Adding packman and libdvdcss repos provides me with the codecs and such I use regularly. So far all of the software I use regularly has been available to me without issues.

Setting up my wireless printer was a breeze, easiest of any distro I have ever used. A couple of clicks and the correct driver was automatically installed and the printer just worked, no muss, no fuss, no cursing needed.

I was a bit put off at the default lack of F2FS support but worked that out without much hassle.

I had initially planned to just test out TW for a few days and then wipe the drive and replace it with Slack but at this point I've decided to keep it as my daily driver. I've never really cared much for "automatic" tools in distros but with the annoying exception of packagekit blocking zypper when I first boot the machine everything pretty much stays out of my way. Would uninstalling packagekit cause any undue issue with TW? I don't bother using the software GUI preferring to just use cli to search/install/uninstall applications.

All in all my impression of Tumbleweed is quite favorable. Color me impressed.

Blog Entries

Default Re: A Slacker's Impression of Tumbleweed

Quote Originally Posted by gpstrucker View Post
    Would uninstalling packagekit cause any undue issue with TW?
    That should be fine. Some folk do that. But the Gnome software app probably uses "packagekit", so that might stop working.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

Hi, YaOG ( Yet another Old Guy ) ;-). Welcome to this community. Glad to read you already enjoy your openSUSE experience
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    That should be fine. Some folk do that. But the Gnome software app probably uses "packagekit", so that might stop working.
    Thanks. As I mentioned, I don't use the software GUI anyway so if that's the extent of the damage that's fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Hi, YaOG ( Yet another Old Guy ) ;-). Welcome to this community. Glad to read you already enjoy your openSUSE experience

Thanks. The new and shiny is still on it LOL

Blog Entries

Welcome aboard. I'm sure your Linux experience will be a welcome addition around here.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Welcome aboard. I'm sure your Linux experience will be a welcome addition around here.

Thanks. I can likely help out a bit with general Linux stuff but in my experience every distro is unique and has it's own quirks so I doubt I can be too helpful with openSUSE itself (at least right off).

In the end I'm just a dumb old truck driver that likes to tinker LOL

Blog Entries

Thanks. I can likely help out a bit with general Linux stuff but in my experience every distro is unique and has it's own quirks so I doubt I can be too helpful with openSUSE itself (at least right off).

In the end I'm just a dumb old truck driver that likes to tinker LOL
    I'm currently working as a network engineer, but I have also worked as a truck driver in haulage and events industries. I enjoy variety!
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

I had initially planned to just test out TW for a few days and then wipe the drive and replace it with Slack but at this point I've decided to keep it as my daily driver. I've never really cared much for "automatic" tools in distros but with the annoying exception of packagekit blocking zypper when I first boot the machine everything pretty much stays out of my way. Would uninstalling packagekit cause any undue issue with TW? I don't bother using the software GUI preferring to just use cli to search/install/uninstall applications.
    I prefer disable and mask to uninstall. Currently packagekit is not an annoyance on my machines. I enabled background execution and it sends me an email on packages pending.

Code:
    erlangen:~ # grep -v \# /etc/sysconfig/packagekit-background
    ENABLED="yes"

CHECK_ONLY="yes"

MAILTO="karl"

SYSTEM_NAME=""

SLEEP_MAX="1"

UPDATE_OFFLINE="no"
    erlangen:~ #
    The following fixes a bug.
    Code:
    erlangen:~ # cat /etc/systemd/system/packagekit-background.service.d/override.conf
    [Service]
    KillMode=process
    Code:
    erlangen:~ # journalctl -b -u packagekit-background.service
    -- Logs begin at Fri 2019-04-19 23:18:41 CEST, end at Mon 2019-07-01 07:15:20 CEST. --
    Jul 01 05:54:19 hofkirchen systemd[1]: Started Script to update the system with PackageKit.
    Jul 01 05:54:26 hofkirchen systemd[1]: packagekit-background.service: Succeeded.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

F2FS is part of the mainline kernel,
    So although it's not listed in any of the openSUSE GUI tools (AFAIK), should be able to install/manage using CLI.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast