Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Can Raspberry Pi 4 run openSUSE LEAP 15.1 ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Warrington, England
    Posts
    110

    Default Can Raspberry Pi 4 run openSUSE LEAP 15.1 ?

    Can Raspberry Pi 4 run openSUSE LEAP 15.1 ?

    If one buys the new Raspberry Pi 4, can one install openSUSE LEAP15.1 and get it to run: email (Thunderbird); Browsers (Firefox, Chromium), YaST for updates, with BBCiPayer working in Firefox?
    Regards
    Eionmac
    openSUSE LEAP 15.1 , Windows 10 ; Various old computers dual boot and Live Linux distros

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can Raspberry Pi 4 run openSUSE LEAP 15.1 ?

    Ok, I had the same question.

    What I have found so far: there doesn't seem to be any RPi4 images so far. I would expect to find them here:

    http://download.opensuse.org/ports/armv7hl/

    For Leap 15.1 there are some very recent builds here:

    http://download.opensuse.org/ports/a....1/appliances/

    but those are named "raspberrypi2" though so not sure if they will work.

    There is of course one way to find out. I'll be back.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,670
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Can Raspberry Pi 4 run openSUSE LEAP 15.1 ?

    Hi
    AFAIK, it's in the works, suggest if you have the hardware and want to help head over to the IRC channel at Freenode #opensuse-arm.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Can Raspberry Pi 4 run openSUSE LEAP 15.1 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    AFAIK, it's in the works, suggest if you have the hardware and want to help head over to the IRC channel at Freenode #opensuse-arm.
    I would have loved to, but freenode has become unusable.

    * It asks for registration
    * It refuses to let me register using a throwaway email address (wasn't email supposed to be for password recovery only?)
    * It made me work for free for Google for three minutes before I gave up on the stupid captchas on their webchat portal.

    I am sorry, not going that way. Is there any other venue that is actually open / not-broken where one can communicate?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,670
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Can Raspberry Pi 4 run openSUSE LEAP 15.1 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by licehunter View Post
    I would have loved to, but freenode has become unusable.

    * It asks for registration
    * It refuses to let me register using a throwaway email address (wasn't email supposed to be for password recovery only?)
    * It made me work for free for Google for three minutes before I gave up on the stupid captchas on their webchat portal.

    I am sorry, not going that way. Is there any other venue that is actually open / not-broken where one can communicate?
    Hi
    I don't use the web interface, hexchat... think you can get there via matrix.. then there is the mailing list;
    https://lists.opensuse.org/ opensuse-arm one.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Can Raspberry Pi 4 run openSUSE LEAP 15.1 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    I don't use the web interface, hexchat... think you can get there via matrix.. then there is the mailing list;
    https://lists.opensuse.org/ opensuse-arm one.
    Hi Malcom

    I don't use the web interface either, that was a last ditch attempt. It used to be Konversation for me until three or four years ago when I stopped being able to connect. Now I read about it a bit more and Freenode seems to have been taken over by lunatics, I don't understand how (if?) anyone is still using it.

    Anyway, thanks for the link to the mailing lists. I'll browse https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-arm/ as suggested.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,670
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Can Raspberry Pi 4 run openSUSE LEAP 15.1 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by licehunter View Post
    Hi Malcom

    I don't use the web interface either, that was a last ditch attempt. It used to be Konversation for me until three or four years ago when I stopped being able to connect. Now I read about it a bit more and Freenode seems to have been taken over by lunatics, I don't understand how (if?) anyone is still using it.

    Anyway, thanks for the link to the mailing lists. I'll browse https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-arm/ as suggested.
    Hi
    IRC is used all the time, esp for the likes of arm... we even have a forum channel #openSUSE-forums
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,143
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Can Raspberry Pi 4 run openSUSE LEAP 15.1 ?

    When this post was first posted,
    I did a little search...

    There are Cortex A72 builds for other systems, but of course the RPi is a SOC so you need more than just support for the core, you need drivers for I/O.

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,143
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Can Raspberry Pi 4 run openSUSE LEAP 15.1 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by licehunter View Post
    Ok, I had the same question.

    What I have found so far: there doesn't seem to be any RPi4 images so far. I would expect to find them here:

    http://download.opensuse.org/ports/armv7hl/

    For Leap 15.1 there are some very recent builds here:

    http://download.opensuse.org/ports/a....1/appliances/

    but those are named "raspberrypi2" though so not sure if they will work.

    There is of course one way to find out. I'll be back.
    Unless you want to search for unusual builds,
    I generally recommend using the web pages for each RPi.

    So, for example the following is for the original RPi and RPi Zero.
    To access the pages for the RPi2 and RPi3, just append a number to the end of the URL

    https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Raspberry_Pi

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,670
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Can Raspberry Pi 4 run openSUSE LEAP 15.1 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Unless you want to search for unusual builds,
    I generally recommend using the web pages for each RPi.

    So, for example the following is for the original RPi and RPi Zero.
    To access the pages for the RPi2 and RPi3, just append a number to the end of the URL

    https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Raspberry_Pi

    TSU
    Hi
    As per developer comments on IRC, new hardware, even u-boot not working yet... it will take time, hence jumping on IRC to see if can help out if you have the hardware...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •