Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signature verification for repo nvidia failed

Hybrid View

Default Signature verification for repo nvidia failed

I recently installed tumbleweed and after installing the nvidia repo to get the latest nvidia drivers, I am constantly getting a warning that day 'Update error: signature verification for repo nvidia failed.

It shows up on the bottom right side of my task bar throughout the day. I have been dismissing it, but its just becoming annoying.

Any ideas on how I can resolve this issue?

FYI: I am still new to linux, so will need detailed instructions on what to do.

screenshot --> https://paste.opensuse.org/44954792

Thank you,
    AJ

Default Re: Signature verification for repo nvidia failed

Don't use the updater applet with Tumbleweed - it *will* cause problems at some point.

The only correct way to update is by "zypper dup" preferably (to be safe) from the command line whilst logged out from KDE.

You can follow the mailing list at https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/ to see when new snapshots are issued.

How did you add the nvidia repository, via yast2 Software Management?

Do you get the signature verification error if you attempt a "zypper dup"?
    Regards, Paul

Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20190918) KDE Plasma 5
    Non-Tumbling Tumblweed (20150508) KDE 4 - Resurrected
    2x Leap 15.1 KDE Plasma 5

Hi Paul.

Thanks for getting back to me. Actually, I installed the nvidia drivers by going to https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us. From here I selected by graphics card and then installed the drivers.

After I did though, I can tell that my displays are great now. Should I have installed some other way?

- AJ

Be aware that installing manually as you did after any kernel updates the NVIDIA driver must be reinstalled manually. Getting the driver from the NVIDIA repo and it will be auto reinstalled.

Quote Originally Posted by aj_suse View Post
    Should I have installed some other way?
    It depends on the degree of work you want to put into maintaining your install

The way you did it is not "wrong" per se.

As @gogalthorp mentioned, you will need to repeat that process on each kernel update, which on TW is more frequently than the stable (Leap) releases.

For Nvidia graphics you have a few choices:

Open source options: modesetting or nouveau.

Proprietary drivers: either installed via YaST or "the hard way"

If you want to use the proprietary drivers and don't mind repeating the installation, then probably stay as you are.

Alternatively, remove those, then add the repository https://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/tumbleweed and install from there, on subsequent kernel updates the nvidia driver should be taken care of "auto-magically".

Or, you could take a look at using the modesetting option, with the proprietary drivers removed use YaST to remove "xf86-video-nouveau". User @mrmazda did a nice write up on that. (I rather embarrassingly confess to not being able to find the link. I'm sure though @mrmazda will provide it if he reads this).

I will emphasise again though, it's important to not use the (KDE) update applet with Tumbleweed, I would remove it completely ("plasma5-pk-updates"), only use "zypper dup".
    Regards, Paul

Okay.. Thanks for the feedback.. Quite honestly, these pop-ups I'm getting are really annoying. Bare with me here as I'm still new to linux.

Seems like I have 2 options:

OPTION 1:
    1. Remove the current nvidia drivers I have.
    2. Reinstall the nvidia drivers from YAST.
    3. Install this repo --> https://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/tumbleweed
    4. Install nvidia drivers from this repo

OPTION 2:
    1. Stay as I am and whenever I perform a zypper dup, I'll have to reinstall the drivers manually from nvidia like I did now.

OPTION 3:
    1. I could install the opensource drivers (modesetting or nouveau). When I was running leap, this nouveau driver was giving me hell. Sometimes my graphics was terrible and then during system boot I would get some errors and had to reinstall the OS. I am concerned about using the nouveau drivers.

What do you mean by 'it's important to not use the (KDE) update applet with Tumbleweed, I would remove it completely ("plasma5-pk-updates"), only use "zypper dup".' What is the KDE update applet?

Looking forward to the response...

Thanks,
    AJ

OPTION 1:
    1. Remove the current nvidia drivers I have.
    2. Reinstall the nvidia drivers from YAST.
    3. Install this repo --> https://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/tumbleweed
    4. Install nvidia drivers from this repo
    1, 3, and 4 - Step 2 can only be done after step 3 - But I'm sure you knew what you meant.

OPTION 2:
    1. Stay as I am and whenever I perform a zypper dup, I'll have to reinstall the drivers manually from nvidia like I did now.

You don't need to reinstall the drivers after every zypper dup, it's only required if there is a kernel update.

OPTION 3:
    1. I could install the opensource drivers (modesetting or nouveau). When I was running leap, this nouveau driver was giving me hell. Sometimes my graphics was terrible and then during system boot I would get some errors and had to reinstall the OS. I am concerned about using the nouveau drivers.
    OK - If you have good reason to not use the nouveau driver that's fine. You might want to give the modesetting option a try, @mrmazda has now kindly provided the link to his article.

What do you mean by 'it's important to not use the (KDE) update applet with Tumbleweed, I would remove it completely ("plasma5-pk-updates"), only use "zypper dup".' What is the KDE update applet?
    The KDE update applet ("plasma5-pk-updates") is an automatic updater. It's that which is issuing the pop-ups shown in your first post. It works OK with Leap and is a convenient method of keeping a system up to date. Tumbleweed however is different in as much as each snapshot is, in effect, a new distribution, hence the need to use "zypper dup".

One of the safest ways to update TW is to log out from the (KDE) desktop session, switch to a virtual terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F2), login as you normal user, then execute:
    Code:
    sudo zypper dup
    After the update is completed, if a reboot is required then
    Code:
    sudo /sbin/shutdown -r now
    if a reboot is not required you can exit that terminal session
    Code:
    exit
    and switch back to the graphical session using Ctrl-Alt-F7 and login.

The primary reason for doing the zypper dup from a virtual terminal whilst logged out from KDE is just in case (very remote chance of) the desktop session crashing during the update.
    Last edited by tannington; 26-Jun-2019 at 01:19. Reason: Typo
    Regards, Paul

Thanks for the feedback.

I wanted to pose the questions:

1. Is one option is better than the other?
    2. You mentioned that I would only have to manually update the drivers as I have done currently, but only after a kernal update. Will zypper dup perform a kernal update? How will I know that a kernal update is being performed?
    3. As mentioned, I tried nouveau drivers on Leap, and didn't have a good experience, but at that time I did not have mrmazdas document. Is nouveau or modesetting the way to go now? is it preferable? I don't mind giving it a shot in Tumbleweed. If this is a better choice, then how do I go about enabling it?
    4. I understand the need of removing/disabling the KDE update applet ("plasma5-pk-updates"). How can i do this?

Thanks guys again for your support.

- AJ

Blog Entries

4. I understand the need of removing/disabling the KDE update applet ("plasma5-pk-updates"). How can i do this?
    The easiest way:

Right click on the tray. Select "Configure System Tray". Uncheck the box for "Software Updates" (and save that change).
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

Will zypper dup perform a kernal update?
    Yes, it will.

How will I know that a kernal update is being performed?
    When "zypper dup" lists what it will do, check the list of new packages. A kernel will show up there.

Or look at the note near the end of that output, where it tells you whether a reboot is required and why. That will also mention the kernel update.

As a last resort -- when you reboot and a graphic session does not start up, that's a good hint that there was a kernel switch that broke your "nvidia the hard way" setup.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast