Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Install fails to load GUI, rescue mode doesn't accept user name & password??

Default Re: Install fails to load GUI, rescue mode doesn't accept user name & password??

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Or just keep using nomodeset until the fixed update kernel shows up on the mirrors in the next few days.

Or install the testing kernel from http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...andard/x86_64/.

Or install the proprietary NVidia driver.
    @mrmazda:

Thanks again for the follow up details . . . no particular rush on it, I could likely wait, or I could install the "testing" kernel; but over in ubuntu-land they have an "Additional Drivers" app that searches for proprietary drivers that might work and it's a "click" away . . . does OpenSUSE have something like that?? Yast seemed to only find the retro "nv" option . . . is this something where I'd have to go to Nvidia's website and find the, what .rpm?? package for a driver and then use GDebi?? or something like that to install the package??

n_s

Default Re: Install fails to load GUI, rescue mode doesn't accept user name & password??

Add the nvidia repo. Remember the name (openSUSE) the basic repos have only open source code. You have to add other repos to get proprietary stuff

You can use yast (in menu under system) to add the NVIDIA repo (Software Repositorie) and install the driver (Software Management)

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Add the nvidia repo. Remember the name (openSUSE) the basic repos have only open source code. You have to add other repos to get proprietary stuff

You can use yast (in menu under system) to add the NVIDIA repo (Software Repositorie) and install the driver (Software Management)
    @gogalthorp:

Thanks kindly . . . appreciate that; this nvidia card is relatively new, so I don't have deep background on how to use linux and proprietary drivers for nvidia cards. I'll check into it in a day or so . . . .

Is it a laptop or desktop? I had issues with nouveau on NVidia m150 and GTX 1070.

Basically the trick I found was to boot nomodeset as ogalthorp suggests, and install Nvidia. I put in the steps that I took in the very last post here (https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...strously/page2)

Also two most recent kernels that I found compatible with nouveau are
    Code:
    drm-kmp-default-4.9.33_k4.4.76_1-3.2 
    drm-kmp-default-4.9.33_k4.4.126_48-13.3
    I would very much recommend installing Nvidia though.

Quote Originally Posted by SJLPHI View Post
    Is it a laptop or desktop? I had issues with nouveau on NVidia m150 and GTX 1070.

Basically the trick I found was to boot nomodeset as ogalthorp suggests, and install Nvidia. I put in the steps that I took in the very last post here (https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...strously/page2)

Also two most recent kernels that I found compatible with nouveau are
    Code:
    drm-kmp-default-4.9.33_k4.4.76_1-3.2 
    drm-kmp-default-4.9.33_k4.4.126_48-13.3
    I would very much recommend installing Nvidia though.
    @SJLPHI:

Thanks for the post and the links to the further details . . . . This is a desktop . . . I'll probably try to install it as per the suggestion to use Yast . . . have to kick it down the road a few days in any event . . . possibly new kernel will be in the tubes by that point . . . and then a little more time to fiddle with getting Nvidia drivers set up.

n_s

Latest update:

So I logged in using the "nomodeset" adjustment . . . and then I ran zypper and it showed a new kernel available . . . so I ran that, and rebooted back into a working GUI . . . w/o using "nomodeset" . . . .

I followed the wiki to find the steps to "add nvidia" to the repos using yast . . . and then added the drivers auto-selected in yast for nvidia . . . and rebooted into the working GUI . . . along with the video card spinning up . . . with more enthusiasm.

Then I was looking at "SJLPHI's" thread which included the "add CUDA to the repos" . . . but that thread linked to Nvidia's website and offer a few "rpm" options, "local" or "network" or "runfile" . . . ?? I looked back in Yast, but it wasn't listing any "CUDA" options?? And, then, I was looking for something like the Ubuntu app "GDebi package installer" . . . which will install I believe, ".deb" files that are manually downloaded . . . but I couldn't find or figure that one out . . . .

Is there a link to a wiki that would show how OpenSUSE handles that kind of thing? Or, is this something that Yast would find in the "community services" list? I don't recall whether CUDA was showing up there when I checked "nvidia" . . . ?? I have a CUDA addition in one of my OSX partitions, it does seem to speed things up, but . . . it's not a deal breaker . . . I'm just trying to bring Leap 15.1 up to operational levels . . . .

n_s

Hello n_s,
    First, if you don't need GPU programming, CUDA isn't necessary, so in my set of instructions you can skip steps 3 and 4 an do the following:

1. Install LEAP 15.0 fresh, without nouveau activated (otherwise the laptop freezes and cannot boot)
    Do not upgrade as it often installs nouveau somehow.
    2. Add Nvidia repo for LEAP 15.
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers

Except here, when you install Nvidia, you can use Yast, or by typing in terminal:
    sudo zypper in ...
    Code:
    zypper in x11-video-nvidiaG05
    (or G04)

5. reboot, update then reboot again.
    6. Install Codecs then reboot.
    https://opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php

If you do wish to use CUDA, in the steps

3. Add CUDA repo for LEAP 15.
    https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads

in the above link, go to linux, opensuse ...
    https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-do...et_version=150
    then download "rpm(network)" (here using cuda for openSUSE 15.0 would work with 15.1 but never do this for any other packages)

This rpm package will add the necessary cuda repositories and flag which nvidia you need. To do this, You can use the rpm installatino method. Go to the directory where you downloaded the rpm package and type in
    Code:
    sudo rpm -i cuda-repo-opensuse15-10.1.168-1.x86_64.rpm
    yast ~ zypper uses rpm package manager in the background. You should then refresh the repositories
    Code:
    sudo zypper refresh
    4. Install cuda which installs the Nvidia.

Code:
    sudo zypper install cuda

@SJLPHI:

Thanks very much for the detailed reply . . . I did get "nvidia" installed, but I don't recall seeing that the "x11-G05xxx" list item was checked in Yast, it was something like only 4 or maybe 5 "nvidia" items . . . the top ones seemed to be "390" . . . and I think that is what my other linux systems are using, this is a '12 Mac Pro . . . I think the card is a GTX 780 3 GB??? i.e., it's not the "newest" cutting edge card, but it got me into OSX 10.14 for somewhat of a "reasonable" price to have the card "flashed" for Mac.

I don't use the card for 3-D stuff . . . but I do use CUDA to run distributed.net blocks . . . but I do that in OSX to make sure that the temperature controls are "factory" . . . .

Anyway, I'll again read through your posts and see if I can get it together . . . I also don't think Yast pulled in the "Codecs" packages???

n_s

Hello n_s,

nvidiaG05 is mostly the latest packages for nvidia. It's almost arbitrary what is needed/installed, it depends on your hardware and repository driver version. You may have installed G01,G02,G03 or G04 for which, it's perfectly fine as long as everything is working. GTX780 is relatively old, and Yast probably chose G03 or G04 package, this is fine.

Now that you have nvidia installed, don't forget to eliminate "nomodeset" in boot option.

If you feel like installing cuda. Just be extremely careful because if installing nvidia package installed a different version of nvidia drivier than what cuda wants by default, it will un-install the nvidia driver and the kernel that it is compiled with.

Just make sure that when you install cuda, and it wants to remove a kernel, it is also installing another one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SJLPHI View Post
    If you feel like installing cuda. Just be extremely careful because if installing nvidia package installed a different version of nvidia drivier than what cuda wants by default, it will un-install the nvidia driver and the kernel that it is compiled with.
    Hi
    Use the run file and --override option, here you can unselect the driver install and carry on with either rpm or run file.

To be honest, the run files (aka hard way) offer a lot more options for your install of either the driver and/or cuda...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast