Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Install fails to load GUI, rescue mode doesn't accept user name & password??

Default Re: Install fails to load GUI, rescue mode doesn't accept user name & password??

@SJLPHI && Malcolm:

Thanks for the follow up on it . . . we'll see how it goes . . . certainly don't want to mess things up any more than is necessary . . . I don't think there is a dying need for CUDA at this point, but if I get a spare moment to think it through I might give it a go . . . . "If it ain't broke . . ." etc, etc.

On the "nomodeset" . . . pretty sure that isn't a "permanent" situation . . . but is something that would have to be done on each boot of the system??

n_s

Blog Entries

Default Re: Install fails to load GUI, rescue mode doesn't accept user name & password??

Quote Originally Posted by non_space View Post
    @SJLPHI && Malcolm:

Thanks for the follow up on it . . . we'll see how it goes . . . certainly don't want to mess things up any more than is necessary . . . I don't think there is a dying need for CUDA at this point, but if I get a spare moment to think it through I might give it a go . . . . "If it ain't broke . . ." etc, etc.

On the "nomodeset" . . . pretty sure that isn't a "permanent" situation . . . but is something that would have to be done on each boot of the system??

n_s
    Hi
    Well with cuda you can use the cores for things like chess engines, crunching something with boinc (I crunch seti@home) etc.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

@malcolm:

Yes . . . I crunch a distributed.net option with a team . . . which is "amusing" . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Use the run file and --override option, here you can unselect the driver install and carry on with either rpm or run file.

To be honest, the run files (aka hard way) offer a lot more options for your install of either the driver and/or cuda...
    This is true, but I personally felt more comfortable going with what cuda-network provided. I am certain your way is better, but I am just comfortable with the more automatic installation.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis
    Hi
    Use the run file and --override option, here you can unselect the driver install and carry on with either rpm or run file.

To be honest, the run files (aka hard way) offer a lot more options for your install of either the driver and/or cuda...
    Quote Originally Posted by SJLPHI View Post
    This is true, but I personally felt more comfortable going with what cuda-network provided. I am certain your way is better, but I am just comfortable with the more automatic installation.
    @malcolmlewis:

I've generally done things "the hard way" in my life, but, what is the "run files" way?? How would these "more options" show up to be selected? Is this something that gets run "manually" in the Terminal/Konsole? Or something that Yast gets involved with?

Blog Entries

@malcolmlewis:

I've generally done things "the hard way" in my life, but, what is the "run files" way?? How would these "more options" show up to be selected? Is this something that gets run "manually" in the Terminal/Konsole? Or something that Yast gets involved with?
    Hi
    Yes, all run from the command line and runlevel 3 (systemctl-set-default multi-user.target). The cuda install can be done at graphical.target.

For example;

Code:
    ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-430.26.run --help
    ./cuda_10.1.168_418.67_linux.run --help
    For my older card using the 340.107 it needs patching so you can automatically patch (as your user) and create a custom run file;

Code:
    ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.107.run --apply-patch 340.107_5.1.patch
    {creates}
    NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.107-custom.run
    {install via}
    ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.107-custom.run -aq
    I actually skip installing the opengl files as only want cuda running, I use the intel gpu for craphics output...

Code:
    ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-430.26.run --no-opengl-files -aq
    ./cuda_10.1.168_418.67_linux.run --no-opengl-libs --override

or

./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.107-custom.run --no-opengl-files -aq
    When I run the boinc-client I can see;

Code:
    19-Jun-2019 13:07:49 [---] CUDA: NVIDIA GPU 0: GeForce 8800 GT (driver version 340.10, CUDA version 6.5, compute capability 1.1, 512MB, 474MB available, 504 GFLOPS peak)
    19-Jun-2019 13:07:49 [---] OpenCL: NVIDIA GPU 0: GeForce 8800 GT (driver version 340.107, device version OpenCL 1.0 CUDA, 512MB, 474MB available, 504 GFLOPS peak)
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

@SJLPHI && Malcolm:

n_s
    Regarding nomodeset, I'm not sure what you mean?
    What I meant is that if you delete the "nomodeset" option in the boot loader or (hard way) in
    Code:
    /etc/default/grub
    from the lines
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="splash=silent quiet showopts"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
    then run
    Code:
    sudo mkinitrd
    This is somewhat of a permanent solution. As long as you don't accidentally install nouveau, or delete nvidia-compiled kernel.

@SJLPHI && malcolm:

Thanks for those thorough posts . . . I'm away from that computer right now, so I can't dive into it . . . . I'll post back if I stumble . . . ???

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123