Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Install fails to load GUI, rescue mode doesn't accept user name & password??

Default Install fails to load GUI, rescue mode doesn't accept user name & password??

Folks:

I had an install of Leap 15.1 running fine until a problem in another "sid" distro seemed to wipe out access to a number of other systems, including my Leap 15.1 install. Yesterday I used the same flash installer that I possibly used in April to run a fresh install, and other than its complaining about the EFI partition being "less than 300MB" the install appeared to go well, including downloading updates during the install.

Other thing that was perhaps "unusual" was that I had to "accept" or reject the package "mesa-dri-nouveau"?? which included some warnings about it "being unstable" . . . which I went forward with. The computer has an Nvidia graphics card, and historically the "mesa" nouveau package was considered "good" . . . .

Anyway on reboot, the Grub window loaded and I selected Leap and it went to the black screen, there was a few lines starting with "[OK] Reached target Basic system" and then the line "3.9643597]fb: switching to nouveaufb from EFI VGA" . . . and then it "freezes."

Shut it down with the power button, then worked my way back to the Leap "Rescue System" . . . which got to the "rescue login" line, into which I entered the new[old] user name that I had used in the previous install, again entered in the installer user identification lines . . . and the password, which it didn't accept, tried a few other options, none of them were accepted???

So, question is, is this something relating to the "mesa-dri-nouveau" package, which isn't seeming to "work"? I tried to get into a TTY to try to run ref/dup . . . but that didn't work . . . or, is there some "universal" OpenSUSE Rescue login ID & password that has to be used, rather than my own user name and password?

Or, is this a "botched" install, and only a nuke/pave will be the "fix"???

n_s

Default Re: Install fails to load GUI, rescue mode doesn't accept user name & password??

Is the installer a NET install??

Sounds like you got the broken kernel package. The default DVD install is ok but if you do a Net install you get the newest broken kernel..

Can you boot to a terminal? if so try Yast or zypper to install the NVIDIA driver.it is the nouveau stuff that is broken

Default Re: Install fails to load GUI, rescue mode doesn't accept user name & password??

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Is the installer a NET install??

Sounds like you got the broken kernel package. The default DVD install is ok but if you do a Net install you get the newest broken kernel..

Can you boot to a terminal? if so try Yast or zypper to install the NVIDIA driver.it is the nouveau stuff that is broken
    @gogalthorp:

I don't think this is the NET installer, this was a "4 - 5GB" "installer" . . . from several months back, but then I think it asked me if I wanted to "download updates" via the "web" . . . which I've done previously . . . and I said Yes.

But, no, I don't think I can get to a terminal, I tried several ways, but it "stalls" at the "switching to nouveaufb" line and won't go past that point. So, OK, it seems like that "nouveau" package is broken, and likely I would have to try another install, and "don't accept 'mesa-dri-nouveau' package" when the time comes; and/or don't accept the "download latest updates" during the install . . . ???

But, if I don't accept "nouveau" during the install, how would I then be able to "see" the options for getting the Nvidia items??? Is this something where waiting a week or more might get the nouveau package fixed?

n_s

Did you try nomodeset??

at boot screen press e find line starting linux or linuxefi go to the end of the line (it wraps) add a space and nomodeset.that should use failsafe fallback drivers

The warning at install simply says that nouveau is experimental. The problem happened because you did the update which brought in the broken kernel.Yep not something that is obvious. But the NVIDIA driver should work if you can manage to install it.

Or reinstall and DON't update until the kernel is fixed

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Did you try nomodeset??

at boot screen press e find line starting linux or linuxefi go to the end of the line (it wraps) add a space and nomodeset.that should use failsafe fallback drivers

The warning at install simply says that nouveau is experimental. The problem happened because you did the update which brought in the broken kernel.Yep not something that is obvious. But the NVIDIA driver should work if you can manage to install it.

Or reinstall and DON't update until the kernel is fixed
    @gogalthorp:

Thanks for the thought, I'll look at it, but this is "multi-boot" situation, that uses Grub . . . have to scroll down to the "Leap" option and then try the "e" key?

I'll give it a shot, but, seems like if the one and only kernel I have is a broken one, likely won't make a difference which video module I'm using??

n_s

@Gogalthorp:

OK, tried to edit my last post but it wouldn't let me. So, the "nomodeset" option did work!!! I'm back into my old user profile in Leap 15.1!!

So, question is, do I try to find Nvidia driver options, run a ref/dup to try to pull in a new kernel, or do nothing, use the "nomodeset" method some time down the road when a new kernel might be there?

n_s

The working 4.12.14-lp151.27 installation kernel can be installed. An update kernel in the standard update repo is expected over the next few days. It's been tested and just waiting its turn in processing.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    The working 4.12.14-lp151.27 installation kernel can be installed. An update kernel in the standard update repo is expected over the next few days. It's been tested and just waiting its turn in processing.
    @mrmazda:

So, I'm running
    Code:
    4.12.14-lp151.28.4-default
    right now, and I ran a "zypper ref/dup" . . . and a few packages showed up, but nothing for a kernel, and I tried to get Yast to "check the system" . . . but I either don't know how to do that, or . . . "it's fine" . . . .

I checked "lsmod" and it shows "nouveau" in a bunch of places . . . I searched "nvidia" in Yast and basically it just showed me "nv" . . . which I think is an "old" package that we used to try to use in PPC linux to run our nvidia carded Macs . . . we "wished" to be able to use "nouveau" back then, but couldn't qualify for it.

So, anyway, right now I'm in the GUI and it seems to be "working"?? Should I retro-install the older kernel you have listed? Or, wait a few days and run the zypper through its paces for the newer kernel??

n_s

Well . . . I guess I spoke too soon . . . I put Leap into "suspend" for a few minutes to do some other stuff . . . when I came back I hit the "shift" key and the computer started running . . . something . . . but the display power light didn't turn "blue" and nothing showed up on the display. I hit the power button quickly and nothing happened . . . so I shut it down.

As a "test" I just let Grub list show up and I arrow-ed down to Leap and hit return . . . same issue as before, dmesg shows up, but freezes at the "switching to nouveaufb . . ." . . . line.

So I know how to get passed that point, but I'll probably wait for a few days to hopefully catch the new kernel . . . see if we can get to a new plateau at that point . . . .

The lp151.28.4 update kernel for NVidia FOSS users is fubar. You have options. Boot using nomodeset, then install the release kernel:
    Code:
    sudo zypper -v in --oldpackage kernel-default-4.12.14-lp151.27.3
    Next boot the 27.3 kernel and remove the 28.4 kernel.

Or just keep using nomodeset until the fixed update kernel shows up on the mirrors in the next few days.

Or install the testing kernel from http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...andard/x86_64/.

Or install the proprietary NVidia driver.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast