Thread: Freeze laptop

Default Freeze laptop

lately opensuse returns to lock up often. I can't understand the problem. in the beginning it stopped when I used chrome or graphics programs. Yesterday a couple of times even with the console. The cooling fan stops and you feel the fan start, always.
    the laptop hangs completely. kde opensuse tumbleweed latest version.
    how can I access the pc while it is in this state to understand which service is blocked?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Freeze laptop

Try booting the previous kernel (should be a boot option for the grub menu). Does it still freeze?
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Yes, with the previous kernel freeze, but not frequently.

I've try

sudo journalctl -xef
    first time

dbus-daemon[1389]: [system] Activation via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.resolve1' unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.resolve1.service' by ':1.8' (uid=0 pid=1582 conn="/usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon ")
    dbus-daemon[1389]: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.freedesktop.resolve1.service': Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.resolve1.service not found
    second time

dbus-daemon[1420]: [system] Activation via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.resolve1' unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.resolve1.service' by ':1.7' (uid=0 pid=1576 conn="/usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon ")
    dbus-daemon[1420]: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.freedesktop.resolve1.service': Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.resolve1.service not found
    what can it be?

If I start the "systemd-resolves" service I don't see this error, but the problem not solved. I thik that is Nvidia driver the problem

every start, after about 60 seconds, everything stops, completely frozen, you only hear the fan that increases the speed. Even if I don't perform operations, it freezes.

Have you installed bumblebee or primus?? This appears to be an Optimus style laptop.

High fan usage may indicate a thermal problem and if temp exceeds some set value it may shut down processor.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Have you installed bumblebee or primus?? This appears to be an Optimus style laptop.
    High fan usage may indicate a thermal problem and if temp exceeds some set value it may shut down processor.
    I've installed primus, beacuse bumblebee not work

I have had this same problem with my desktop. I have a thread on the lockup after idle. I believe the problem was baloo taking up to 100% of the cpu and always over 85%. It got hung up trying to index stdoutdae.txt and never finished indexing. It was very difficult to shut baloo off, but so far, the hang up has not repeated since I was successful in shutting down baloo. Run top and see if baloo is misbehaving for you.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

baloo_file is always at the top, it uses about 1 GB of RAM, but I have 16 GB. But when the laptop crashed, baloo_file wasn't at the top.

I think my problem is due to the nVidia driver + HDMI port because I always use the external screen.

I've formatted my laptop and change openSUSE TUMBLEWEED with Leap 15.1 and I've solve all problem.

The nVidia driver are
    not behind the TW version