Thread: Symless, Synergy, and OpenSuse

Default Symless, Synergy, and OpenSuse

Hi, I've been using Synergy to control multiple computers with one mouse and one keyboard through the network for 12 years now. Recently they released version 2, which allows for signing into the client on each computer and auto-configures them rather than having to supply hostname/IP address and configuring the client manually. I paid for version 2, and would love to make use of it on OpenSuse. I'm currently using it on a Mac and a Fedora box, which are my primary desktop computers, and if I can get it working on OpenSuse I will nuke and pave my Fedora box, since I've fallen in love with OpenSuse. I have OpenSuse on my laptop, and since there are only RPM and DEB packages, I have attempted to use Alien to convert them, or simply tried "zypper in ./nameofsynergyfile.rpm" - but the problems I've had so far don't allow Synergy to run properly. If it installs, it either won't launch, or if it does launch it can never connect to the other systems.

If I try just installing the RPM I get the message: Problem: nothing provides libcrypto.so.10()(64bit). Options are to do not install, or break the install by ignoring. I'm assuming that's why the client can't connect to the other systems when it loads. I attempted doing some searching to find the appropriate package for OpenSuse, but frankly I'm not sure what or how to do that. My assumption is the libcrypto dependency is named differently in RHEL/Fedora than it is in OpenSuse, and one solution I found was to do a symbolic link, but that didn't work either.

If I convert the DEB file to an RPM using Alien, the application installs with out any errors other than the package isn't signed, which I ignore and it completes without any more complaints. But, the application won't launch.

I guess it looks like my best bet is to find how to get the libcrypto dependency working and install the RPM downloaded from the site. Any ideas?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Symless, Synergy, and OpenSuse

Quote Originally Posted by ThePollard View Post
    Hi, I've been using Synergy to control multiple computers with one mouse and one keyboard through the network for 12 years now. Recently they released version 2, which allows for signing into the client on each computer and auto-configures them rather than having to supply hostname/IP address and configuring the client manually. I paid for version 2, and would love to make use of it on OpenSuse. I'm currently using it on a Mac and a Fedora box, which are my primary desktop computers, and if I can get it working on OpenSuse I will nuke and pave my Fedora box, since I've fallen in love with OpenSuse. I have OpenSuse on my laptop, and since there are only RPM and DEB packages, I have attempted to use Alien to convert them, or simply tried "zypper in ./nameofsynergyfile.rpm" - but the problems I've had so far don't allow Synergy to run properly. If it installs, it either won't launch, or if it does launch it can never connect to the other systems.

If I try just installing the RPM I get the message: Problem: nothing provides libcrypto.so.10()(64bit). Options are to do not install, or break the install by ignoring. I'm assuming that's why the client can't connect to the other systems when it loads. I attempted doing some searching to find the appropriate package for OpenSuse, but frankly I'm not sure what or how to do that. My assumption is the libcrypto dependency is named differently in RHEL/Fedora than it is in OpenSuse, and one solution I found was to do a symbolic link, but that didn't work either.

If I convert the DEB file to an RPM using Alien, the application installs with out any errors other than the package isn't signed, which I ignore and it completes without any more complaints. But, the application won't launch.

I guess it looks like my best bet is to find how to get the libcrypto dependency working and install the RPM downloaded from the site. Any ideas?
    Hi
    Not running wayland? Does this new version support wayland?

I'm assuming your starting from the command line to see the errors?

What softlink did you create AFAIK it should be libssl.so.1.0.0 -> libcrypto.so.10.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Creating a symbolic link fixing the file naming convention difference should work, perhaps you're doing it wrong.
    Has been described several times in this and other openSUSE forums,...

Post the symbolic link you created.
    Then, you should be able to install your app ignoring the "nothing provides..." error, your app should run fine.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Hi, I am not using wayland.

I used the following symbolic links.

sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /lib64/libcrypto.so.1.0.0
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libssl.so.1.0.0 /lib64/libssl.so.10

I've re-attempted installing and testing each of the downloadable versions, CentOS RPM, Debian DEB, and Ubuntu DEB, and all three appear to install fine now but still do not run after installation. As a note, I've done reboots after each install and uninstall just for good measure.

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 14:46:03 +0000, ThePollard wrote:

> Any ideas?

I've not tried v2 yet, but I use Synergy+ myself between a Mac and an
    openSUSE box, and it works really well.

If I remember correctly, v2 may work with Synergy+, so that might be an
    option for you (though you do have to create the .conf file with Synergy+)

Jim

--
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Thanks Jim, if I can't get it working I may resort to using the other versions. Like I say, I've done it before, but having paid for this particular one it'd be nice to use it.

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 19:36:03 +0000, ThePollard wrote:

> Thanks Jim, if I can't get it working I may resort to using the other
    > versions. Like I say, I've done it before, but having paid for this
    > particular one it'd be nice to use it.

It might also be worth engaging with Symless about it - I'm sure there
    are others (like me!) who would give them money if they fully supported
    openSUSE.

--
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Blog Entries

Hi, I am not using wayland.

I used the following symbolic links.

sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /lib64/libcrypto.so.1.0.0
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libssl.so.1.0.0 /lib64/libssl.so.10

I've re-attempted installing and testing each of the downloadable versions, CentOS RPM, Debian DEB, and Ubuntu DEB, and all three appear to install fine now but still do not run after installation. As a note, I've done reboots after each install and uninstall just for good measure.
    Hi
    AFAIK all that is needed is;

Code:
    ln -s /usr/lib64/libssl.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.10
    ldconfig
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!