Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot open VM after recent OS fix

Default Cannot open VM after recent OS fix

Recently I had to fix my Leap 15.0 because I had accidentally installed some tumbleweed repos (via a one click install). I successfully got things up and running by using a bootable USB and running and upgrade. Everything is working great except the Virtualbox. Here is what I remember about the chain of events:

When I tried to run it at first, it suggested I run /sbin/vboxconfig. That produced an error message something like host "kernel driver" not installed. I figured the software got erased with my OS fix and so I went to YAST and downloaded virtualbox there. But then I realized it was a different version than I had previously installed. It was 5.2, but I had 5.2.18.

I deleted that and found a tutorial for downloading on Opensuse using the CL. At that point I downloaded the 5.2.18 version successfully. But when I went to install it, there was an error:

Code:
    setting /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetNAT to root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong permissions 0755)                                
    setting /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetDHCP to root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong permissions 0750)                               
    setting /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetAdpCtl to root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong permissions 0750)                             
    setting /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxHeadless to root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong permissions 0750)
    Then I rebooted the computer, hoping that it just needed that, but the problem is still there. Now I get this error:

The desktop entry file
    file:///root/.local/share/plasma_icons/virtualbox.desktop
    is not valid.

I'm hoping to fix this without erasing the whole VM, if possible. But whatever it takes, I'm game for it.

Can anyone help?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Cannot open VM after recent OS fix

Am guessing your installed Virtualbox kernel modules are still the ones built for your Tumbleweed kernel.
    Should be fixable by re-installing however you installed before...
    If you installed from the OSS, then you should execute a "force install" to force a downgrade, ie
    Code:
    zypper in -f virtualbox
    If you're instead installing by downloading from the Oracle Virtualbox site,
    Then I assume that simply re-running the install should fix your problem, again if you are prompted to downgrade, then do so... do not keep anything from before.

If you have problems, post again with as much detail as possible about any error that displays or the installation log file.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Am guessing your installed Virtualbox kernel modules are still the ones built for your Tumbleweed kernel.
    Should be fixable by re-installing however you installed before...
    If you installed from the OSS, then you should execute a "force install" to force a downgrade, ie
    Code:
    zypper in -f virtualbox
    If you're instead installing by downloading from the Oracle Virtualbox site,
    Then I assume that simply re-running the install should fix your problem, again if you are prompted to downgrade, then do so... do not keep anything from before.

If you have problems, post again with as much detail as possible about any error that displays or the installation log file.

TSU
    Thanks for your reply.

I don't remember how I installed the original VM, that was over a year ago. But with this recent problem, I installed (and then later deleted) it all through Yast. But that didn't fix it. I was suspicious that the 5.2.24 package it chooses was not compatible with the 5.2.18 version that is originally on the computer. So that is why I deleted it, and then installed the 5.2.18 via the konsole. But that was not successful, because of the permissions problem ( I posted the code in the first post).

Ok. So I just ran the command you suggested and it installed the 5.2.24 package, with some problems. Here is the info:

Code:
    3 new packages to install.
    Overall download size: 20.0 MiB. Already cached: 0 B. After the operation, additional 65.1 MiB will be used.
    Continue? [y/n/...? shows all options] (y): y
    Retrieving package virtualbox-host-kmp-default-5.2.24_k4.12.14_lp150.12.61-lp150.4.33.1.x86_64
                                                                                      (1/3), 305.4 KiB (816.3 KiB unpacked)
    Retrieving: virtualbox-host-kmp-default-5.2.24_k4.12.14_lp150.12.61-lp150.4.33.1.x86_64.rpm ........[done (11.8 KiB/s)]
    Retrieving package virtualbox-5.2.24-lp150.4.33.1.x86_64                          (2/3),  11.7 MiB ( 35.8 MiB unpacked)
    Retrieving: virtualbox-5.2.24-lp150.4.33.1.x86_64.rpm ...............................................[done (3.3 MiB/s)]
    Retrieving package virtualbox-qt-5.2.24-lp150.4.33.1.x86_64                       (3/3),   8.0 MiB ( 28.6 MiB unpacked)
    Retrieving: virtualbox-qt-5.2.24-lp150.4.33.1.x86_64.rpm ............................................[done (3.3 MiB/s)]
    Checking for file conflicts: ....................................................................................[done]
    (1/3) Installing: virtualbox-host-kmp-default-5.2.24_k4.12.14_lp150.12.61-lp150.4.33.1.x86_64 ...................[done]
    (2/3) Installing: virtualbox-5.2.24-lp150.4.33.1.x86_64 .........................................................[done]
    Additional rpm output:
    setting /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetNAT to root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong permissions 0755)
    setting /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetDHCP to root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong permissions 0750)
    setting /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetAdpCtl to root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong permissions 0750)
    setting /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxHeadless to root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong permissions 0750)

(3/3) Installing: virtualbox-qt-5.2.24-lp150.4.33.1.x86_64 ......................................................[done]
    Additional rpm output:
    setting /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox to root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong permissions 0750)
    setting /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxSDL to root:vboxusers 4750. (wrong permissions 0750)
    When I attempt to start virtualbox, here is the error message:

Code:
    The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/sbin/vboxconfig'

as root.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.
    Any ideas on how to proceed?

Blog Entries

First
    Ha e you tried to run "/etc/vboxconfig" as described?

If that doesn't work, then uninstall virtualbox with the following command
    Code:
    jzypper rm "virtualbox*"
    Then you should verify the results, I recommend using the "locate" command instead of the "find" command because locate is blindingly fast so is worth the extra time to install. If you want to use the locate utility you have to install it which is part of the mlocate package
    Code:
    zypper in mlocate
    by default the locate database updates its database of files in your system every 24 hrs, but we don't want to wait until tomorrow to run it so update the database immediately with the following command in an elevated console
    Code:
    updatedb
    Now you can "locate" any files on your system, and if you want to look for files in a specific place(we won't do that here because we want to find files anywhere on your system), just include the path in your search, eg
    Code:
    locate virtualbox
    locate vbox
    Since you're trying to cpurge your system of all old virtualbox files so you can re-install virtualbox completely clean, you can delete practically anything you find assuming you hadn't modified your old virtualbox radically in some strange way which you'd want to preserve. The only exception might be if you named your Guest VM with virtualbox or vbox in its name... IMO most people wouldn't do that, but take a moment to think about that before you start deleting files manually.

Remove all the files you found using the "locate" command (or any other command you might have used like find) by command line
    Code:
    rm file_name
    If you wish, you can "update the locate database" again and re-run locate to verify the files are removed,
    Then re-install virtualbox using YaST or zypper.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Ok. Here is an update. I followed all the steps you suggested, except did not remove all the virtualbox files. I'm guessing that will remove the entire prior system. Is that true? If so, are there any other ideas before doing that. I install a Windows 10 and they always give me trouble when I try to validate it.

Anyways, if I have to start from scratch, that's fine. But I felt it was good for you to have a look at the list of files and make sure they all should get deleted. Here is the results of that last work:

Code:
    linux-vqod:~ # locate virtualbox
    /etc/zypp/repos.d/virtualbox.repo
    /root/.local/share/plasma_icons/virtualbox.desktop
    /usr/lib/virtualbox
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/ExtPack-license.html
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/ExtPack-license.rtf
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/ExtPack-license.txt
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/ExtPack.manifest
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/ExtPack.signature
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/ExtPack.xml
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/PXE-Intel.rom
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.amd64
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.x86
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/solaris.amd64
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.amd64
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.x86
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxEhciR0.r0
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxEhciR3.dylib
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxEhciRC.rc
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxHostWebcam.dylib
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxNvmeR0.r0
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxNvmeR3.dylib
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxNvmeRC.rc
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxPuelMain.dylib
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxPuelMainVM.dylib
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxUsbCardReaderR3.dylib
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxUsbWebcamR3.dylib
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxVRDP.dylib
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VDPluginCrypt.dylib
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.amd64/VBoxEhciR0.r0
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.amd64/VBoxEhciR3.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.amd64/VBoxEhciRC.rc
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.amd64/VBoxHostWebcam.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.amd64/VBoxNvmeR0.r0
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.amd64/VBoxNvmeR3.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.amd64/VBoxNvmeRC.rc
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.amd64/VBoxPciRawDrv.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.amd64/VBoxPciRawR0.r0
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.amd64/VBoxPciRawR3.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.amd64/VBoxPuelMain.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.amd64/VBoxPuelMainVM.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.amd64/VBoxUsbCardReaderR3.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.amd64/VBoxUsbWebcamR3.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.amd64/VBoxVRDP.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.amd64/VDPluginCrypt.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.x86/VBoxEhciR0.r0
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.x86/VBoxEhciR3.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.x86/VBoxEhciRC.rc
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.x86/VBoxHostWebcam.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.x86/VBoxNvmeR0.r0
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.x86/VBoxNvmeR3.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.x86/VBoxNvmeRC.rc
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.x86/VBoxPciRawDrv.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.x86/VBoxPciRawR0.r0
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.x86/VBoxPciRawR3.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.x86/VBoxPuelMain.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.x86/VBoxPuelMainVM.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.x86/VBoxUsbCardReaderR3.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.x86/VBoxUsbWebcamR3.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.x86/VBoxVRDP.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.x86/VDPluginCrypt.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/solaris.amd64/VBoxEhciR0.r0
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/solaris.amd64/VBoxEhciR3.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/solaris.amd64/VBoxEhciRC.rc
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/solaris.amd64/VBoxHostWebcam.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/solaris.amd64/VBoxNvmeR0.r0
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/solaris.amd64/VBoxNvmeR3.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/solaris.amd64/VBoxNvmeRC.rc
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/solaris.amd64/VBoxPuelMain.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/solaris.amd64/VBoxPuelMainVM.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/solaris.amd64/VBoxUsbCardReaderR3.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/solaris.amd64/VBoxUsbWebcamR3.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/solaris.amd64/VBoxVRDP.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/solaris.amd64/VDPluginCrypt.so
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.amd64/VBoxEhciR0.r0
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.amd64/VBoxEhciR3.dll
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.amd64/VBoxEhciRC.rc
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.amd64/VBoxHostWebcam.dll
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.amd64/VBoxNvmeR0.r0
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.amd64/VBoxNvmeR3.dll
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.amd64/VBoxNvmeRC.rc
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.amd64/VBoxPuelMain.dll
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.amd64/VBoxPuelMainVM.dll
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.amd64/VBoxUsbCardReaderR3.dll
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.amd64/VBoxUsbWebcamR3.dll
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.amd64/VBoxVRDP.dll
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.amd64/VDPluginCrypt.dll
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.x86/VBoxEhciR0.r0
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.x86/VBoxEhciR3.dll
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.x86/VBoxEhciRC.rc
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.x86/VBoxHostWebcam.dll
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.x86/VBoxNvmeR0.r0
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.x86/VBoxNvmeR3.dll
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.x86/VBoxNvmeRC.rc
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.x86/VBoxPuelMain.dll
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.x86/VBoxPuelMainVM.dll
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.x86/VBoxUsbCardReaderR3.dll
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.x86/VBoxUsbWebcamR3.dll
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.x86/VBoxVRDP.dll
    /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/win.x86/VDPluginCrypt.dll
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/apps/48/virtualbox.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/16/virtualbox-hdd.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/16/virtualbox-ova.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/16/virtualbox-ovf.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/16/virtualbox-vbox-extpack.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/16/virtualbox-vbox.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/16/virtualbox-vdi.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/16/virtualbox-vhd.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/16/virtualbox-vmdk.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/22/virtualbox-hdd.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/22/virtualbox-ova.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/22/virtualbox-ovf.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/22/virtualbox-vbox-extpack.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/22/virtualbox-vbox.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/22/virtualbox-vdi.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/22/virtualbox-vhd.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/22/virtualbox-vmdk.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/32/virtualbox-hdd.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/32/virtualbox-ova.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/32/virtualbox-ovf.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/32/virtualbox-vbox-extpack.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/32/virtualbox-vbox.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/32/virtualbox-vdi.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/32/virtualbox-vhd.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/32/virtualbox-vmdk.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/64/virtualbox-hdd.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/64/virtualbox-ova.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/64/virtualbox-ovf.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/64/virtualbox-vbox-extpack.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/64/virtualbox-vbox.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/64/virtualbox-vdi.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/64/virtualbox-vhd.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/64/virtualbox-vmdk.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/apps/48/virtualbox.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/16/virtualbox-hdd.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/16/virtualbox-ova.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/16/virtualbox-ovf.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/16/virtualbox-vbox-extpack.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/16/virtualbox-vbox.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/16/virtualbox-vdi.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/16/virtualbox-vhd.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/16/virtualbox-vmdk.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/22/virtualbox-hdd.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/22/virtualbox-ova.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/22/virtualbox-ovf.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/22/virtualbox-vbox-extpack.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/22/virtualbox-vbox.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/22/virtualbox-vdi.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/22/virtualbox-vhd.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/22/virtualbox-vmdk.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/32/virtualbox-hdd.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/32/virtualbox-ova.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/32/virtualbox-ovf.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/32/virtualbox-vbox-extpack.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/32/virtualbox-vbox.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/32/virtualbox-vdi.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/32/virtualbox-vhd.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/32/virtualbox-vmdk.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/64/virtualbox-hdd.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/64/virtualbox-ova.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/64/virtualbox-ovf.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/64/virtualbox-vbox-extpack.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/64/virtualbox-vbox.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/64/virtualbox-vdi.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/64/virtualbox-vhd.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/64/virtualbox-vmdk.svg
    /usr/share/icons/oxygen/base/16x16/mimetypes/virtualbox-vhd.png
    /usr/share/icons/oxygen/base/22x22/mimetypes/virtualbox-vhd.png
    /usr/share/icons/oxygen/base/32x32/mimetypes/virtualbox-vhd.png
    /usr/share/icons/oxygen/base/64x64/mimetypes/virtualbox-vhd.png
    /var/log/virtualbox.log

Here is what I find when I locate vbox.

Code:
    linux-vqod:~ # locate vbox
    /home/VirtualBox VMs/Windows 10/Windows 10.vbox
    /home/VirtualBox VMs/Windows 10/Windows 10.vbox-prev
    /lib/modules/4.12.14-lp150.12.16-default/misc/vboxdrv.ko
    /lib/modules/4.12.14-lp150.12.16-default/misc/vboxnetadp.ko
    /lib/modules/4.12.14-lp150.12.16-default/misc/vboxnetflt.ko
    /lib/modules/4.12.14-lp150.12.16-default/misc/vboxpci.ko
    /lib/modules/5.1.7-1-default/kernel/drivers/staging/vboxvideo
    /lib/modules/5.1.7-1-default/kernel/drivers/staging/vboxvideo/vboxvideo.ko
    /lib/modules/5.1.7-1-default/kernel/drivers/virt/vboxguest
    /lib/modules/5.1.7-1-default/kernel/drivers/virt/vboxguest/vboxguest.ko
    /root/.vbox
    /root/.config/VirtualBox/vbox-ssl-cacertificate.crt
    /root/.vbox/enable
    /root/Downloads/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.2.18-124319.vbox-extpack
    /usr/include/linux/vbox_err.h
    /usr/include/linux/vbox_vmmdev_types.h
    /usr/include/linux/vboxguest.h
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/16/virtualbox-vbox-extpack.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/16/virtualbox-vbox.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/22/virtualbox-vbox-extpack.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/22/virtualbox-vbox.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/32/virtualbox-vbox-extpack.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/32/virtualbox-vbox.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/64/virtualbox-vbox-extpack.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze/mimetypes/64/virtualbox-vbox.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/16/virtualbox-vbox-extpack.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/16/virtualbox-vbox.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/22/virtualbox-vbox-extpack.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/22/virtualbox-vbox.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/32/virtualbox-vbox-extpack.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/32/virtualbox-vbox.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/64/virtualbox-vbox-extpack.svg
    /usr/share/icons/breeze-dark/mimetypes/64/virtualbox-vbox.svg
    /usr/src/linux-5.1.7-1/drivers/staging/vboxvideo
    /usr/src/linux-5.1.7-1/drivers/staging/vboxvideo/Kconfig
    /usr/src/linux-5.1.7-1/drivers/staging/vboxvideo/Makefile
    /usr/src/linux-5.1.7-1/drivers/virt/vboxguest
    /usr/src/linux-5.1.7-1/drivers/virt/vboxguest/Kconfig
    /usr/src/linux-5.1.7-1/drivers/virt/vboxguest/Makefile
    /usr/src/linux-5.1.7-1/include/linux/vbox_utils.h
    /usr/src/linux-5.1.7-1/include/uapi/linux/vbox_err.h
    /usr/src/linux-5.1.7-1/include/uapi/linux/vbox_vmmdev_types.h
    /usr/src/linux-5.1.7-1/include/uapi/linux/vboxguest.h

Blog Entries

The point is to first remove as much of the virtualbox application as possible using the package manage, ie by using zypper or YaST.
    Then, inspect what remains using locate.
    Whatever you still see in your system using locate should be mostly User configuration settings, but there might be more that is preventing a truly complete removal so that a new install won't use anything from your failed TW experience.

From what you posted,
    You listed a number of files which should have been removed by package uninstall, which is minimally helpful....Because all you're listing is what you'd expect in a full install.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

The point is to first remove as much of the virtualbox application as possible using the package manage, ie by using zypper or YaST.
    Then, inspect what remains using locate.
    Whatever you still see in your system using locate should be mostly User configuration settings, but there might be more that is preventing a truly complete removal so that a new install won't use anything from your failed TW experience.

From what you posted,
    You listed a number of files which should have been removed by package uninstall, which is minimally helpful....Because all you're listing is what you'd expect in a full install.

TSU
    The list of files I posted was what remained after removing the virtualbox application using zypper. When I search through YaST it doesn't show and vbox applications installed either. So apparently the uninstall procedure left a lot of files on the computer.

Are you suggesting I manually erase all? If so, no problem. Since there are so many files, would it be more efficient to just navigate to those folders and delete them? As opposed to doing it one file at a time in konsole.

Also, I want to make sure I understand the consequences of this. I will completely lose my old Windows 10 OS that I had there. True?

Blog Entries

Yes, remove the folder (recursively to include contents).
    Will not affect your Virtualbox guests,
    The critical infomration about each Guest is in the folder containing he disk file, plus the Guest configuration file and misc other files.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Yes, remove the folder (recursively to include contents).
    Will not affect your Virtualbox guests,
    The critical infomration about each Guest is in the folder containing he disk file, plus the Guest configuration file and misc other files.

TSU
    Ok. I'm back at this.

I'm a little nervous about deleting all of those files. Let me check before doing so. For example, do I want to keep any that say "guest" anywhere? Like these:

/lib/modules/5.1.7-1-default/kernel/drivers/virt/vboxguest
    /lib/modules/5.1.7-1-default/kernel/drivers/virt/vboxguest/vboxguest.ko
    /usr/include/linux/vboxguest.h
    /usr/src/linux-5.1.7-1/drivers/virt/vboxguest
    /usr/src/linux-5.1.7-1/drivers/virt/vboxguest/Kconfig
    /usr/src/linux-5.1.7-1/drivers/virt/vboxguest/Makefile
    /usr/src/linux-5.1.7-1/include/uapi/linux/vboxguest.h

And what about these ones for the Windows 10:

/home/VirtualBox VMs/Windows 10/Windows 10.vbox
    /home/VirtualBox VMs/Windows 10/Windows 10.vbox-prev

And also there are many for the extension pack. I thought that was all related to the guest, not the host. Do I keep all the extension pack files?

What do you think?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast