Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unofficial support for Synopsys Sentaraus TCAD (through EUROPRACTICE)

Default Unofficial support for Synopsys Sentaraus TCAD (through EUROPRACTICE)

Hello,

I will first let you know that I have been documenting and writing some offline packages to make my computers to work on OpenSUSE, I make these available for some of my colleagues and students. I am an unofficial developer for my community.

Recently, my current institute subscribed to some software provided through EUROPRACTICE. This thread is about supporting the software Synopsys Sentarus TCAD. This software is officially not supported on OpenSUSE, but it is supported on some older versions RHEL and SLES, and with minor modifications I was able to get it to work.

As long as I will be using this software, I will be supporting it unofficially. I am starting the thread here for personal reference as well as for others.

0.As far as installation of TCAD. Microelectronics at EUROPRACTICE provides an easy installation package as well as instructions to use the installation script provided by Synopsys. Following these instructions, you can install the package without much problem. OpenSUSE is based on Red Hat, I use the RHEL package.

Now onto issues on OpenSUSE LEAP 15.0 KDE (tested on LEAP 42.3 KDE and LEAP 15.1 KDE as well). Starting with a problem and then the solution.

1. OpenSUSE does not have libcrypto.so.10
    When you try to start Synopsys visual/process executables, you will get something like this

Code:
    /eda/synopsys/2018-19/RHELx86/SENTAURUS_2018.06-SP2/tcad/O-2018.06-SP2/linux64/bin/sprocess:
    error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Upon a little bit of research, libcrypto.so.10 is actually identical to libcrypto.so.1.0.0 provided with libssl.so.1.0.0 unfortunately just following a symbolic link below doesn't work.

Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.10
    and it will yield the following error messages:

Code:
    /eda/synopsys/2018-19/RHELx86/SENTAURUS_2018.06-SP2/tcad/O-2018.06-SP2/linux64/lib/svisual_exec:
    /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.10: version `libcrypto.so.10' not found (required by
    /eda/synopsys/2018-19/RHELx86/SENTAURUS_2018.06-SP2/tcad/O-2018.06-SP2/linux64/lib/svisual_exec)

/eda/synopsys/2018-19/RHELx86/SENTAURUS_2018.06-SP2/tcad/O-2018.06-SP2/linux64/lib/svisual_exec: 
    /eda/synopsys/2018-19/RHELx86/SENTAURUS_2018.06-SP2/tcad/O-2018.06-SP2/linux64/lib/libz.so.1: 
    version `ZLIB_1.2.9' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libpng16.so.16)
    It seems that relabeling is inadequate, it really does need this specific package. In my case, since I have access to a server with RHEL6 and 7 installed I borrowed a compiled library.

Code:
    libcrypto.so.1.0.1e
    This solved 1.

2. I was able to eliminate libz issue by providing a symbollic link to my system's libz.so.1 to the TCAD library packages.

Code:
    mv /eda/synopsys/2018-19/RHELx86/SENTAURUS_2018.06-SP2/tcad/O-2018.06-SP2/linux64/lib/libz.so.1 /eda/synopsys/2018-19/RHELx86/SENTAURUS_2018.06-SP2/tcad/O-2018.06-SP2/linux64/lib/libz.so.1.back
    ln -s /lib64/libz.so.1 /eda/synopsys/2018-19/RHELx86/SENTAURUS_2018.06-SP2/tcad/O-2018.06-SP2/linux64/lib/libz.so.1
    This solved 2.

Lastly, the environmental variable to point at the license server is SNPSLMD_LICENSE_FILE instead of SNPS_LICENSE_FILE.

Default Re: Unofficial support for Synopsys Sentaraus TCAD (through EUROPRACTICE)

I forgot to mention the steps I installed libssl and libcrypto as the following:
    Code:
    sudo zypper in libssl45*
    and in the latest OpenSUSE LEAP 15.1 I use a newer package instead of libcrypto.so.1.0.0 as the symbollic link, I setup:
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.1.1 /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.10

Default Re: Unofficial support for Synopsys Sentaraus TCAD (through EUROPRACTICE)

Another potential issue is when the application cannot find libtinfo.so.5

This is provided by libncurses
    Code:
    sudo zypper in libncurses*

Another issue is for computers with NVIDIA installed, there will be a conflict between nouveau and Nvidia, this is quickly resolved if by deleting xf86-video-nouveau
    Code:
    sudo zypper rm xf86-video-nouveau

Post Re: Unofficial support for Synopsys Sentaraus TCAD (through EUROPRACTICE)

I just had a bit of dumb moment where I realized when I opened the Sentarus Structure Editor and by no means load the toolbars! After believing that it must be an issue with libqt, for some reason the settings for my sde has been set to show no tool bars. It also turns out that the way to restore all of the toolbar is to use editor's default GUI.

I've added an alias
    Code:
    alias sde="sde -defaultGUI"

in my .bashrc

In order to run the icwbev interface with TCAD, you also need the libpng12-0 package
    Code:
    sudo zypper in libpng12-0

Furthermore, similar to TCAD, I gave a symbollic link for ICWBEV.
    Code:
    mv /eda/synopsys/2018-19/RHELx86/ICWB-EV-PLUS_2018.06-SP2/lib/linux64/libz.so.1 /eda/synopsys/2018-19/RHELx86/ICWB-EV-PLUS_2018.06-SP2/lib/linux64/libz.so.1.back
    ln -s /lib64/libz.so.1 /eda/synopsys/2018-19/RHELx86/ICWB-EV-PLUS_2018.06-SP2/lib/linux64/libz.so.1

Blog Entries

If you move the real location of your library file, your package manager won't be able to find it when an update is released.

Better to leave the library file in its original location and create your symlink accordingly.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    If you move the real location of your library file, your package manager won't be able to find it when an update is released.

Better to leave the library file in its original location and create your symlink accordingly.

TSU
    Hello Tsu, I am already doing that
    Code:
    mv /eda/synopsys/2018-19/RHELx86/ICWB-EV-PLUS_2018.06-SP2/lib/linux64/libz.so.1 /eda/synopsys/2018-19/RHELx86/ICWB-EV-PLUS_2018.06-SP2/lib/linux64/libz.so.1.back
    ln -s /lib64/libz.so.1 /eda/synopsys/2018-19/RHELx86/ICWB-EV-PLUS_2018.06-SP2/lib/linux64/libz.so.1

Code:
    /eda/synopsys/2018-19/RHELx86/ICWB-EV-PLUS_2018.06-SP2/lib/linux64
    is the directory of the library of the software package which gets updated once a year or so, I am relabeling it as a backup just in case, and sending a symbollic link from my system
    Code:

A small version conflict for libz has been found and can be resolved by the following:
    Code:
    cp /eda/synopsys/2018-19/RHELx86/SENTAURUS_2018.06-SP2/tcad/O-2018.06-SP2/linux64/lib/gds2tcadLib/libz.so.1 /eda/synopsys/2018-19/RHELx86/SENTAURUS_2018.06-SP2/tcad/O-2018.06-SP2/linux64/lib/gds2tcadLib/libz.so.1.back
    ln -sf /usr/lib64/libz.so /eda/synopsys/2018-19/RHELx86/SENTAURUS_2018.06-SP2/tcad/O-2018.06-SP2/linux64/lib/gds2tcadLib/libz.so.1

Blog Entries

Hi,
    Reviewing your steps,
    Some observations...

If you wish to create a reference, and in particular something you can update (corrections, additions, different openSUSE versions),
    I'd recommend you create a Wiki page either for everything you might do or a specific purpose. So, for instance you can view my Wiki which is a collection of various "How Tos" for both my own and others' use. If you'd like to create an official SDB page, open an SDB page and model your page URL on an existing... See my signature at the bottom of this post for steps how to start your own Wiki, and my Wiki can be found at

https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2

First, I don't know if an RPM is available for Fedora instead of RHEL, if one is available you might find the OS file tree is a bit closer and might avoid some issues, otherwise the RHEL RPM you're using can work...

Inspecting your first issue about libcripto.so.10, actually the symlink should work fine...
    The package install fails only because the symlink isn't followed during the package installation only, but if you "ignore" the error, you should find the app will functionally find the symlinked libarary and have no problems.
    So, no need to "borrow" the file from somewhere else.

When you use a wildcard Regular Expression (the asterisk in libncurses* and libssl145*), it's good practice to enclose in single quotes (preferred) or double quotes (should work) to avoid unintended "expansion." Expansion won't always happen, but using proper syntax as SOP can avoid unnecessary troubleshooting problems.

When you write something for public and not only personal use, you sometimes have to think about writing about more than what you've done or more completely. When you describe uninstalling (why not blacklisting so you have flexibility?) due to your proprietary nVidia driver, you should include at least a link to the install method you used. I'm under the impression the various official guides to installing the nVidia driver blacklist nouveau so you shouldn't have a conflict.

Keep in mind your modification to modify your bashrc will apply only to your logged in User. If you intend your app to be used by multiple Users or even at least both your User and root, you should instead load your command into a file /etc/profile.local instead.

HTH,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast