Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LEAP 15.1 Installation on Desktop and Laptop - odd behaviour

Blog Entries

Default Re: LEAP 15.1 Installation on Desktop and Laptop - odd behaviour

Quote Originally Posted by hnimmo View Post
    Is there such a thing as a 4 GB USB 2.0 stick?
    I have one. It is too small for the DVD installer. I use an 8G USB stick for that. I'm not sure if you can by USB flash drives that small today.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

16G USB 2.0 are quite low prices now, even on amazon...

Toshiba at £3.99 or SanDisk at £6.59

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-Tra...dp/B014VM3FMM/
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cruzer-Fit-.../dp/B005FYNSZA

4G are available and even cheaper, but are (at a quick look around) all "no-name" devices.
    Regards, Paul

Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20190703) KDE Plasma 5
    Leap 15.0 KDE Plasma 5
    [Non-Tumbling Tumblweed (20150508) KDE 4 - Resurrected]

Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    16G USB 2.0 are quite low prices now, even on amazon...
    Recently 8G and 16G sticks went into trash bin. Any attempt to write significant amount of data ended in data corruption. I actually verified one of them and half of stick returned zeroes on read (I overwrote full stick with random non-zero patterns). I got repeated failures trying to install from second, hash of ISO file did not match so it followed the first.

Not every high capacity stick is created equal ...

Quote Originally Posted by hnimmo View Post
    Is there such a thing as a 4 GB USB 2.0 stick?
    15 to choose from here. I bought some through newegg from a Chinese seller for $3 each less than a year ago, but all links to those products and their seller "SODIAL" have disappeared from the site.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Talking Re: LEAP 15.1 Installation on Desktop and Laptop - odd behaviour

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I don't trust DVD burning,
    Depends on what you're using to burn – I've never tried the Redmond (Microsoft) offering therefore, no comment …
    • The default KDE application – K3B – “Burn Baby, Burn” – is in my experience reliable – even with older (SATA) DVD drives which take their time mounting ext2 DVD-RAM disks …

«I was almost tempted to write “very reliable” but, I constrained myself … »

i kind of remember that i've once or twice encountered the issue on a sd card usb flash drive, i worked off the problem by recreating the image again.
    try the install with a usb flash drive as this would help you avoid having damaged DVDs created

i've been wondering if there is a way to have the install ignore the error and continue with the install as well. but i do not know how to go about bypassing the error. do any one know how to have install bypass those errors?
    the idea is that those can go into an install log and the user can download and install them manually after a base system is installed.

I avoid burning problems by habitually burning nothing. I download the installation kernel and initrd directly from the mirrors using wget, place them on the target media, along with Grub, and load them with Grub to initialize each installation. It's a long supported method I began using with SuSE 8.0. Described under the heading Media free network installation on SDB:Network installation.

With a brand new empty or freshly wiped disk, I usually partition and setup Grub using Knoppix, granddaddy of live Linux distros. A bonus, if you have only one or two PCs to install upon, is only what is to be installed consumes download bandwidth. If you have multiple targets to install upon, then fetching and burning the iso first is the lesser bandwidth consumer.

When I do burn iso to media, it's almost always to OM. I only buy high quality OM, and download isos only with wget. I trust wget as my validator, so rarely bother with shasum or md5sum either before or after a burn. With OM, I can write on them what they contain, thus facilitating librarying them with type big enough to see.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

I've actually have ran into this problem in the past few days. For some reason the checksum always fails with the offline .iso installation.
    I tried Rufus, ultraiso, and several other medias and bootable usb/dvd maker. Funny thing, the exact USB key with exact install that was used to install on my Lenovo T480 fails checksum during installation on Lenovo W530.

Of couple of times, I even used the Windows side of W530 to set up the install USB drive and it still failed at the same spot.

I tried it several different times, and eventually gave up and installed using network iso.

To avoid confusion and misunderstandings (and stealing this thread with unrelated problems) please be aware that I checked the Leap 15.1 DVD image downloaded via BitTorrent in a virtual machine and the "Verify Media" option passes without errors.
    So the image itself is good (at least if properly downloaded) and any corruption problem should be in the burning method used.
    I didn't check on physical media, since the test is known to fail on USB sticks due to the different size of partitions used and I have no writable optical media on hand at the moment.
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Try to update firmware (MB BIOS, hard drive, USB controller, ...) for your hardware.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123