Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: automount settings

Default Re: automount settings

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    So, it works if you mount manually. For example (assuming sda1)...
    Code:
    udisksctl mount --block-device /dev/sda1
    If you can mount the USB device partition(s) successfully via udisksctl then we can examine why your desktop is not automating this process as desired.
    Yeah, it works but not the properly way:
    1) In KDE settings there is an option checkbox "only automount USB devices that were already mounted manually". It's not checked but I need to mount EVERY new flash manually first.
    (Nothing wrong with SD cards - they automount "on the fly")
    2) The USB devices are with bootable filesystems (like openSUSE install images). And when I mount it with /sda1, it shows me only EFI catalog. So, I need to mount device(s) with /sda2 but I couldn't know how many filesystems there are and what the final counter I need to mount to properly display all available catalogs
    (as I understand, I need to use latest counter to mount all filesystems/catalogs, right?). So, sometimes I use USBs with only 1 FS (sda1), sometimes they are bootable and have UEFI part and there are many FS (sda1, sda2, sda3 etc). And I'd like the OS to recognize them automatically
    3) lesser question. Default automount now is /run/media but why /mnt catalog needs then?

P.S. sorry for Russian, I don't know are these inner checkboxes for personal USB UUIDs usable and make any changes. Really it works the same way if they are checked or unchecked

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psijic View Post
    Yeah, it works but not the properly way:
    1) In KDE settings there is an option checkbox "only automount USB devices that were already mounted manually". It's not checked but I need to mount EVERY new flash manually first.
    (Nothing wrong with SD cards - they automount "on the fly")
    Ok, that is as expected.

2) The USB devices are with bootable filesystems (like openSUSE install images). And when I mount it with /sda1, it shows me only EFI catalog. So, I need to mount device(s) with /sda2 but I couldn't know how many filesystems there are and what the final counter I need to mount to properly display all available catalogs
    Udisks2 may be getting confused with the partition structures perhaps. Anyway, you should be able to see all available devices/partitions with...
    Code:
    lsblk
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    (as I understand, I need to use latest counter to mount all filesystems/catalogs, right?). So, sometimes I use USBs with only 1 FS (sda1), sometimes they are bootable and have UEFI part and there are many FS (sda1, sda2, sda3 etc). And I'd like the OS to recognize them automatically
    It's not clear to me what the exact problem is here, but analysing the udev and udisks2 logging may be required to help progress this...
    Code:
    udevadm monitor
    Code:
    udisksctl monitor
    3) lesser question. Default automount now is /run/media but why /mnt catalog needs then?
    The ACL-controlled '/run/media/' directory is used for user-level desktop mounting utilizing udisks2, while the /mnt directrory (and any created subdirectories) are normally used for system-level mount-points via processes controlled by the administrator.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

I mean, if I mount a USB flash drive by myself and then format it, the automount system could not to know, what filesystem it need to mount next time (because I will not mount the flash drive by hands again).
    And the whole situation is not the same as I described at the first post. The final situation is:
    when user insert any USB drive -> automount occurs for (any) user (without it was mounted previously manually).

Blog Entries

I mean, if I mount a USB flash drive by myself and then format it, the automount system could not to know, what filesystem it need to mount next time (because I will not mount the flash drive by hands again).
    That is discovered dynamically, so assuming a valid/supported file-system it should mount automatically (even if you have just reformatted and reinserted the USB-attached storage media device.

And the whole situation is not the same as I described at the first post. The final situation is:
    when user insert any USB drive -> automount occurs for (any) user (without it was mounted previously manually).
    Yes, if you've configured the desktop (KDE) to do so then it should just mount any valid files-system (removable media) found on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Yes, if you've configured the desktop (KDE) to do so then it should just mount any valid files-system (removable media) found on the fly.
    Yes, but no. I have 3 USB devices and it automount only the first one I already mounted manually.

Even if I mount the second USB device manually, it does not automont later.

Blog Entries

Yes, but no. I have 3 USB devices and it automount only the first one I already mounted manually.

Even if I mount the second USB device manually, it does not automont later.
    Then I can only suggest submitting a bug report.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123