Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46

Thread: OpenSUSE forgot Xen Virtualization?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,044

    Default Re: OpenSUSE forgot Xen Virtualization?

    On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 21:26:03 +0000, hack3rcon wrote:

    > I know that Red Hat is another company but SUSE using .rpm files and in
    > the old version, the command to install applications was "yum". Its mean
    > that SUSE just built on Red Hat.


    No, RPM is a file format. Nothing more, nothing less. It's a package
    format that the openSUSE project's predecessor opted to use; SUSE
    actually was originally a port of Slackware.

    But it's no more a "RedHat derivative" than it would be a Slackware
    derivative because it uses the Slackware tar.gz package format (the
    history has nothing to do with package formats; it was a translation to
    German of Slackware, IIRC).

    > KVM owned by Red Hat and when a company claim that it is an independent
    > company but use and put a popular tool from other company as a default
    > hypervisor then it mean that it is not an independent company.
    > Look at the Adobe company. Why Adobe never product its applications for
    > GNU/Linux? Because it is under the Microsoft company control.


    *sigh* You need to do some research about how open source works, it
    seems. KVM was a technology acquired by RedHat (not originally developed
    by them), but because it's open source, anyone's able to use it. That's
    the point of open source - the code is out there, and anyone who wants to
    use it can use it and anyone who wants to contribute to it can contribute
    to it.

    Adobe doesn't port its apps to Linux not because it's under "Microsoft's"
    control (which is, honestly, a laughable statement), but because Adobe
    doesn't see the market to make money on it. They develop proprietary
    software in a closed-source model, and they have their own revenue
    targets that they look at, and they've decided that there's no reason to
    port to Linux because they wouldn't make enough money on it to justify
    the development expense.

    What you're spreading here is FUD, and you need to stop doing that.

    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  2. #22

    Default Re: OpenSUSE forgot Xen Virtualization?

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    If you don't want to use a popular tool from another company, it is simple -- DON'T USE LINUX.

    That's what open source is all about -- using software from many other sources that was made available for others to use.

    Also, don't use Window -- a lot of the Windows software is derived from open source software.

    If you just want to gripe about SUSE and openSUSE, then take it to the soapbox forum.
    "That's what open source is all about -- using software from many other sources that was made available for others to use.", It is true but use KVM is different.
    "Also, don't use Window -- a lot of the Windows software is derived from open source software.", derived vs use, Can Microsoft use LibreOffice as a default word processing? If yes, then what does it mean?
    "If you just want to gripe about SUSE and openSUSE, then take it to the soapbox forum", Is it mean "SUSE Support" ? Use and don't ask!!!!

  3. #23

    Default Re: OpenSUSE forgot Xen Virtualization?

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 21:26:03 +0000, hack3rcon wrote:

    > I know that Red Hat is another company but SUSE using .rpm files and in
    > the old version, the command to install applications was "yum". Its mean
    > that SUSE just built on Red Hat.


    No, RPM is a file format. Nothing more, nothing less. It's a package
    format that the openSUSE project's predecessor opted to use; SUSE
    actually was originally a port of Slackware.

    But it's no more a "RedHat derivative" than it would be a Slackware
    derivative because it uses the Slackware tar.gz package format (the
    history has nothing to do with package formats; it was a translation to
    German of Slackware, IIRC).

    > KVM owned by Red Hat and when a company claim that it is an independent
    > company but use and put a popular tool from other company as a default
    > hypervisor then it mean that it is not an independent company.
    > Look at the Adobe company. Why Adobe never product its applications for
    > GNU/Linux? Because it is under the Microsoft company control.


    *sigh* You need to do some research about how open source works, it
    seems. KVM was a technology acquired by RedHat (not originally developed
    by them), but because it's open source, anyone's able to use it. That's
    the point of open source - the code is out there, and anyone who wants to
    use it can use it and anyone who wants to contribute to it can contribute
    to it.

    Adobe doesn't port its apps to Linux not because it's under "Microsoft's"
    control (which is, honestly, a laughable statement), but because Adobe
    doesn't see the market to make money on it. They develop proprietary
    software in a closed-source model, and they have their own revenue
    targets that they look at, and they've decided that there's no reason to
    port to Linux because they wouldn't make enough money on it to justify
    the development expense.

    What you're spreading here is FUD, and you need to stop doing that.

    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C
    Code:
    A file with the RPM file extension is a Red Hat Package Manager file that's used to store installation packages on Linux operating systems.
    OK, SUSE is Slackware based but why its files are not "TXZ"? Switch from .rpm to .TXZ

    Code:
    KVM was a technology acquired by RedHat (not originally developed by them), but because it's open source, anyone's able to use it.
    I never said Red Hat invented it. KVM invented by "Qumranet". SUSE preferred to use KVM as a default hypervisor because of Red Hat:
    Code:
    SUSE's enterprise Linux products are all based on the codebase that comes out of the openSUSE project. The first release was based on Red Hat Linux (version 5.1) and KDE 1 in July 1998. It had since moved away from Red Hat's distribution and became a completely separate distribution.
    And about Adobe and Microsoft you wrong again. You should do more researches. Linux is more stable than Microsoft and Microsoft know that if Adobe make its application for Linux then migration from Windows to Linux speeds up. Please see https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1057800

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    4,977

    Default Re: OpenSUSE forgot Xen Virtualization?

    Why this thread still is not moved to soapbox?

    Do not feed the trolls ...

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,370
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: OpenSUSE forgot Xen Virtualization?

    Closing this thread for now. Will move to soapbox and reopen.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    10,942
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: OpenSUSE forgot Xen Virtualization?

    Quote Originally Posted by hack3rcon View Post
    And about Adobe and Microsoft you wrong again. You should do more researches. Linux is more stable than Microsoft and Microsoft know that if Adobe make its application for Linux then migration from Windows to Linux speeds up. Please see https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1057800
    Skimmed your forum thread reference,
    Nothing in it that changes anything.
    Nothing from Adobe or Microsoft (not surprising).
    Just a lot of complaints, opinions without basis, speculation and attitude.

    Nothing that moves the ball forward.

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  7. #27

    Default Re: OpenSUSE forgot Xen Virtualization?

    You move the truth to the soapbox?
    I very like to talk to OpenSUSE founder or Virtualization leader.
    Be a real Open Source and independent company

  8. #28

    Default Re: OpenSUSE forgot Xen Virtualization?

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Closing this thread for now. Will move to soapbox and reopen.
    Answer to my questions.

  9. #29

    Default Re: OpenSUSE forgot Xen Virtualization?

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Skimmed your forum thread reference,
    Nothing in it that changes anything.
    Nothing from Adobe or Microsoft (not surprising).
    Just a lot of complaints, opinions without basis, speculation and attitude.

    Nothing that moves the ball forward.

    TSU
    Are you a Red Hat agent? Your boss gave money to the SUSE for KVM?

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,524
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: OpenSUSE forgot Xen Virtualization?

    On Wed 12 Jun 2019 08:26:02 PM CDT, hack3rcon wrote:

    You move the truth to the soapbox?
    I very like to talk to OpenSUSE founder or Virtualization leader.
    Be a real Open Source and independent company


    Hi
    You can talk to anyone contributing to the project, via these Forums,
    IRC or Mailing Lists.....

    http://en.opensuse.org/Communicate

    openSUSE isn't a company (or even a Foundation... yet...) it's a
    project...

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    Tumbleweed 20190607 | GNOME Shell 3.32.2 | 5.1.7-1-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •