Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OpenSUSE forgot Xen Virtualization?

Post OpenSUSE forgot Xen Virtualization?

Hello.
    Why OpenSUSE not have any Xen Virtualization option when setup? Why it just KVM?

https://pasteboard.co/IiJZkhg.png

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: OpenSUSE forgot Xen Virtualization?

It's there, but maybe it isn't on the DVD. After you have completed install, open Yast Software Manager and choose the "Patterns" view. You will see the option.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Blog Entries

You're just looking at patterns, and if I had my druthers the KVM pattern you identified should be hidden to avoid mistakes like what you would have made if you had found a Xen pattern.

In openSUSE,
    The proper way to install Xen, KVM and LXC is to use the YaST Virtualization install module.
    When you run the module, the patterns will be pulled in automatically, you'll be given an option to choose any (or maybe more than one) of the three virtualization technologies, install the libvirt management tools, be given an option to allow br0 (enabling bridging networking to the physical network, and set you up with a standard, working configuration.

In other words, you'll be off to a much better start than if you simply installed the necessary packages.
    On the other hand, if you want to do things the hard way, then you can install only a pattern or click on the "details" button in your screenshot and find your Xen packages by either searching for the packages individually or viewing as package groups. And then, you might end up posting to this Forum asking about things that would have been set up automatically by YaST.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    It's there, but maybe it isn't on the DVD. After you have completed install, open Yast Software Manager and choose the "Patterns" view. You will see the option.
    I downloaded the installation DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    You're just looking at patterns, and if I had my druthers the KVM pattern you identified should be hidden to avoid mistakes like what you would have made if you had found a Xen pattern.

In openSUSE,
    The proper way to install Xen, KVM and LXC is to use the YaST Virtualization install module.
    When you run the module, the patterns will be pulled in automatically, you'll be given an option to choose any (or maybe more than one) of the three virtualization technologies, install the libvirt management tools, be given an option to allow br0 (enabling bridging networking to the physical network, and set you up with a standard, working configuration.

In other words, you'll be off to a much better start than if you simply installed the necessary packages.
    On the other hand, if you want to do things the hard way, then you can install only a pattern or click on the "details" button in your screenshot and find your Xen packages by either searching for the packages individually or viewing as package groups. And then, you might end up posting to this Forum asking about things that would have been set up automatically by YaST.

TSU
    It is a wrong movement from SUSE. Why its name is not "Xen Virtualization Host and Tools" ?
    KVM is not a real hypervisor and it just a type-2 hypervisor. SUSE have discriminated and preferred a type-2 hypervisor or a type-1 hypervisor.
    In other words, it mean that SUSE is not an independent open source company and is under Red Hat company control.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hack3rcon View Post
    It is a wrong movement from SUSE. Why its name is not "Xen Virtualization Host and Tools" ?
    It is. I am currently looking at Yast Software Management, the Patterns view.

There's a "XEN Virtualization Host and tools"

Below that, there's a "KVM Virtualization Host and tools".

They are both there.

The image that you posted shows what is available when only using the DVD. If you had enabled online repos during your install, you would have seen the line for XEN. The DVD has limited capacity, so they omitted the XEN stuff from what is on the DVD. You can install that later.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hack3rcon View Post
    KVM is not a real hypervisor and it just a type-2 hypervisor. SUSE have discriminated and preferred a type-2 hypervisor or a type-1 hypervisor.
    In other words, it mean that SUSE is not an independent open source company and is under Red Hat company control.
    I repeat,
    Do NOT
    Do not try to install Xen the way you're trying to do so.
    Do not use Software Manager.
    Even if you enable Online Repositories which might allow you to access a Xen pattern.
    Do not install Xen during the initial installation when you can only use Software Manager (your screenshot) instead of using YaST "Install Hypervisor and Tools"

Do THIS
    Install only your base system (can be any choice, ie regular install with Desktop, with only a Window Manager, a text-only "Server" or Transactional Server).
    Then when you boot up your system the first time, open YaST and install your virtualization using the YaST module I described... NOT Software Manager.

openSUSE does not prefer any hypervisor type or even isolation (ie containers), all run equally well and are supported on openSUSE.
    But you need to install using the procedure I described to be successful for <any> virtualization.
    If you tried to install KVM or LXC as you described using Software Manager you would be just as wrong to do so as your attempt to install Xen that way.
    Do not do things differently or you will likely have problems.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Do THIS
    Install only your base system (can be any choice, ie regular install with Desktop, with only a Window Manager, a text-only "Server" or Transactional Server).
    Then when you boot up your system the first time, open YaST and install your virtualization using the YaST module I described... NOT Software Manager.
    I'll just add that this is very good advice. You might first need to install "yast2-vm", so that the needed Yast module is there. But once that is there, it is best to install virtualization with that yast module.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    It is. I am currently looking at Yast Software Management, the Patterns view.

There's a "XEN Virtualization Host and tools"

Below that, there's a "KVM Virtualization Host and tools".

They are both there.

The image that you posted shows what is available when only using the DVD. If you had enabled online repos during your install, you would have seen the line for XEN. The DVD has limited capacity, so they omitted the XEN stuff from what is on the DVD. You can install that later.
    Why not omitted KVM ? Why Xen?

I repeat,
    Do NOT
    Do not try to install Xen the way you're trying to do so.
    Do not use Software Manager.
    Even if you enable Online Repositories which might allow you to access a Xen pattern.
    Do not install Xen during the initial installation when you can only use Software Manager (your screenshot) instead of using YaST "Install Hypervisor and Tools"

Do THIS

openSUSE does not prefer any hypervisor type or even isolation (ie containers), all run equally well and are supported on openSUSE.
    But you need to install using the procedure I described to be successful for <any> virtualization.
    If you tried to install KVM or LXC as you described using Software Manager you would be just as wrong to do so as your attempt to install Xen that way.
    Do not do things differently or you will likely have problems.

TSU
    Thus, Xen not have a good capacity for install during setup? If "yes" then why SUSE not change the name of "KVM Virtualization Host and tools" to something like "Virtualization Host and tools" and add a note about installing Xen hypervisor?
    Are you sure SUSE is an independent company?!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast