Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Multimedia Guide for openSUSE Leap 15.1

Default Multimedia Guide for openSUSE Leap 15.1

openSUSE Leap 15.1 Multimedia Guide
    (this is a copy for the Leap 42.3 Guide by caf4926 with some new Additions).

Revised and Simplified manual Method
    This assumes you already have the default repositories.

*NOTE* You need to become su - in a terminal
    Become super user in a terminal (su -). Learn how here

STEP 1: Add Packman and libdvdcss repositories

Code:
    zypper ar -f http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_Leap_15.1/ packman
    Code:
    zypper ar -f http://opensuse-guide.org/repo/openSUSE_Leap_15.1/ libdvdcss
    Now do
    Code:
    zypper ref
    (a) to accept always and trust the signing key

FOR General Use

Code:
    zypper install -f libxine2-codecs ffmpeg-3  dvdauthor gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-bad-orig-addon gstreamer-plugins-base  gstreamer-plugins-good gstreamer-plugins-good-extra gstreamer-plugins-libav gstreamer-plugins-qt5 gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-plugins-ugly-orig-addon vlc smplayer x264 x265 vlc-codecs vlc-codec-gstreamer ogmtools libavcodec58

If you face choices. Look carefully for the option to let the package/s switch from openSUSE > packman

When done. Close the terminal. And open Yast > Software Management and Apply the Package Switcher on Packman Repo

KDE: http://paste.opensuse.org/92222495

Gnome: http://paste.opensuse.org/71856337

If you encounter dependency errors: You need to accept changes that allow vendor switch to Packman If you can't work it out. Ask in the forum.

IMPORTANT NOTES:

1. This multi-media install should provide the basics for all desktop UI's
    2. Please do not use the VideoLan repository!
    3. OneClick options will be available here: Restricted formats - openSUSE Community Wiki
      But better is to use this Guide.

Default Re: Multimedia Guide for openSUSE Leap 15.1

Works fine.

I'm actually wondering about a series of things...

1) Why are multimedia guides from this thread and from opensuse-guide site so different?
    2) Why did multimedia guide in this thread became again so extensive (regarding number of packages installed) since 15.0 compared to 42.3? In fact it got back to resemble the old 42.2 guide...

Regarding packages, dunno if I was at loose too long, but I see several changes. Packages such as libxine2-codecs, lame and libdvdcss2 seem to be mutually exclusive between guide here and the one at opensuse-guide --again, back to question 1)--. In the end are they still needed or recommended?

Also, packages ogmtools and dvdauthor, for example, are new to me. Libavcodec, libavdevice, x264, x265, h264 maybe... do they actually get automatically pulled by another package?

Thanks.

Don't over think it just do a vendor change to packman. and let the system work for you. The lists are useful for trouble shooting but all you need is the vendor change to pull in most needed proprietary codecs.

Add packman to your repo list

determine the number by

zypper lr -d

use the number of the packman repo ie #

zypper dup --from #

I always install Steam and OBS-Studio and then
    Code:
    sudo zypper dup --repo packman.inode.at-suse
    and it's good to go

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    I always install Steam and OBS-Studio and then
    Code:
    sudo zypper dup --repo packman.inode.at-suse
    and it's good to go
    That works only when your Packman repo can be found using packman.inode.at-suse as an Alias, a Name or an URL.
    Others may use a different mirror (and thus URL) and have a different Name and/or URL.

What @gogalthorpe above describes works for everybody. First find out what IDs the Packman repo has and then using one of those #, Alias, Name or URL. @gogalthorpe then uses #, which is of course shortest to type (but be aware that tomorrow the number may be different from today, where e.g. the Alias stays the same).
    Henk van Velden

I used the web as I usually do for codecs and finished up installing from the vlc site then read this thread. The OP helped me get rid of most of the stuff from VLC using the repo view in yast. Then followed the instructions. All ok except when it came to setting vendor changes. Lots of conflict problems resolved by switching to packman repo's. That removed the rest of the stuff from VLC. Or at the moment I hope it has.

Quick edit. I use the button in the OP rather than zyper. The install was partial, ffmpeg not installed, ignore it. Sorting out the dependencies when the vendor was locked fixed that.

John
    -

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Don't over think it just do a vendor change to packman.
    Sorry, but my recent experience makes me disagree.

Doing zypper dup on Packman does update existing packages with vendor change. By the way, as a note, these existing packages *already* include:
    Code:
    gstreamer-plugins-libav gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-plugins-good
    But regarding *new installed* packages, for my case zypper dup only installed:
    Code:
    libvidstab1_1 libx264-155 libx265-176 libxvidcore4
    So I had to once again compare both guides from this thread and opensuse-guide site (again, why are they made different?), and as well compare with multimedia guides from older Leap releases. And concluded -kind of-, missing necessary packages to install are:
    Code:
    ffmpeg-3 gstreamer-plugins-bad-orig-addon gstreamer-plugins-ugly-orig-addon gstreamer-plugins-good-extra lame libavdevice56 libavdevice58 libdvdcss2 libxine2-codecs vlc-codecs x264 x265
    Agreed, this list itself is "missing" some other packages at first sight, but packages here pull the missing ones automatically as dependencies, such as libavcodec being pulled by libavdevice.

I regarded packages dvdauthor and ogmtools as "optional" since, even after reading about them with zypper info, I couldn't really get why average user would use them. Heck, this is the very first time for them appearing in a Leap multimedia guide.

With this, I'd like to ask for advise for following doubts:

1) Still, why are multimedia guides from this thread and from opensuse-guide site so different? Both sides actually miss some packages, and this may cause confusion, don't you think?

2) Why advise to "reinstall" some already existing packages such as gstreamer-plugins-bad, ugly, good, etc? Wouldn't it suffice with zypper dup to Packman?

3) What are dvdauthor and ogmtools used for?

4) Actually I did have an issue when doing the whole process: if trying to install all packages just after adding the due repositories, I get *lots* of messages telling about package conflicts. Seemingly they're the ones offering "install with vendor change" as one of the options, but I couldn't avoid them even with zypper in -f option and it's annoying. What worked for me was applying zypper dup to Packman *before* attempting to install any package, then installing the packages, and yet again doing zypper dup once finished.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by F_style View Post
    Sorry, but my recent experience makes me disagree.

Doing zypper dup on Packman does update existing packages with vendor change. By the way, as a note, these existing packages *already* include:
    Code:
    gstreamer-plugins-libav gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-plugins-good
    But regarding *new installed* packages, for my case zypper dup only installed:
    Code:
    libvidstab1_1 libx264-155 libx265-176 libxvidcore4
    So I had to once again compare both guides from this thread and opensuse-guide site (again, why are they made different?), and as well compare with multimedia guides from older Leap releases. And concluded -kind of-, missing necessary packages to install are:
    Code:
    ffmpeg-3 gstreamer-plugins-bad-orig-addon gstreamer-plugins-ugly-orig-addon gstreamer-plugins-good-extra lame libavdevice56 libavdevice58 libdvdcss2 libxine2-codecs vlc-codecs x264 x265
    Agreed, this list itself is "missing" some other packages at first sight, but packages here pull the missing ones automatically as dependencies.

I regarded packages dvdauthor and ogmtools as "optional" since, even after reading about them with zypper info, I couldn't really get why average user would use them. Heck, this is the very first time for them appearing in a Leap multimedia guide.

With this, I'd like to ask for advise for following doubts:

1) Still, why are multimedia guides from this thread and from opensuse-guide site so different? Both sides actually miss some packages, and this may cause confusion, don't you think?

2) Why advise to "reinstall" some already existing packages such as gstreamer-plugins-bad, ugly, good, etc? Wouldn't it suffice with zypper dup to Packman?

3) What are dvdauthor and ogmtools used for?

4) Actually I did have an issue when doing the whole process: if trying to install all packages just after adding the due repositories, I get *lots* of messages telling about package conflicts. Seemingly they're the ones offering "install with vendor change" as one of the options, but I couldn't avoid them even with zypper in -f option and it's annoying. What worked for me was applying zypper dup to Packman *before* attempting to install any package, then installing the packages, and yet again doing zypper dup once finished.

Thanks.
    Hi
    The main reason the list is reduced was because patents have expired, so numerous packages are now updated and provided by openSUSE, you should test first with the current list and then refine your requirements...

In a lot of cases the packages built by packman is just a rebuild of what is provided/maintained in openSUSE with build conditions changed as required to include the encumbered patents.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Default AW: Multimedia Guide for openSUSE Leap 15.1

I use
    Code:
    zypper in -f
    because of having often problems when reinstalling the "whole" codecs. This command will also install the highest avaible variant by switching the repo and asking the user.

What needed or not is a user decision, you must not install all in the command, you can also delete some.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast