Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Multimedia Guide for openSUSE Leap 15.1

Default Re: Multimedia Guide for openSUSE Leap 15.1

@malcolmlewis:
    Thanks, but I already knew all of that, and with all due respect, it's unrelated to my first 3 questions.
    If you or anyone else by chance could help with them please...

@Sauerland:
    Are you saying that "zypper in -f" does ask the user anyways for each package conflict zypper may encounter?

Default AW: Multimedia Guide for openSUSE Leap 15.1

If there is one, yes.

1) Still, why are multimedia guides from this thread and from opensuse-guide site so different? Both sides actually miss some packages, and this may cause confusion, don't you think?

2) Why advise to "reinstall" some already existing packages such as gstreamer-plugins-bad, ugly, good, etc? Wouldn't it suffice with zypper dup to Packman?

3) What are dvdauthor and ogmtools used for?
    So could someone maybe help with these?

Default AW: Multimedia Guide for openSUSE Leap 15.1

1. I copied the command from an old guide (Not knowing where it was anymore)
    Only the ones, that were not in the Distribution are deleted or replaced.
    So dvdauthor and ogm-tools are from that old guide.

2. Because it is also for use when something is broken, zypper in -f will use Priority,Version etc. in this rank.

3. For info:
    Code:
    zypper if dvdauthor
    Last edited by Sauerland; 01-Aug-2019 at 08:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    openSUSE Leap 15.1 Multimedia Guide...
    This is the third guide I follow. It's the first one that works for me. Thanks!
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

Benno Hansen, M.Sc., Journalist

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by F_style View Post
    I'm actually wondering about a series of things...

1) Why are multimedia guides from this thread and from opensuse-guide site so different?
    2) Why did multimedia guide in this thread became again so extensive (regarding number of packages installed) since 15.0 compared to 42.3? In fact it got back to resemble the old 42.2 guide...

Regarding packages, dunno if I was at loose too long, but I see several changes. Packages such as libxine2-codecs, lame and libdvdcss2 seem to be mutually exclusive between guide here and the one at opensuse-guide --again, back to question 1)--. In the end are they still needed or recommended?

Also, packages ogmtools and dvdauthor, for example, are new to me. Libavcodec, libavdevice, x264, x265, h264 maybe... do they actually get automatically pulled by another package?

Thanks.
    I get some heartburn when viewing pages related to Multimedia in this forum. As I remember 13.2 Codec Installation in the Terminal (copy/paste of the 4 lines) always worked with a minimal set of initial repositories. Verified this by updating openSUSE-Leap-15.1-KDE-Live-x86_64-Snapshot9.118-Media.iso a few days ago.
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

This must be an important thread, since it's sticky.

Multimedia Guide for openSUSE Leap 15.1 ... what about it?

Revised and Simplified manual Method of what?

Is this about installing documentation?

Thank you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ILayTheAsphalt View Post
    Revised and Simplified manual Method of what?
    Some multimedia software is not fully functional, due to license requirements and patents. There are alternative versions of the software in the packman repo, that are more fully functional. This is a guide to making those changes to your installed system.
    openSUSE Leap 15.2; KDE Plasma 5.18.5;

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Some multimedia software is not fully functional, due to license requirements and patents. There are alternative versions of the software in the packman repo, that are more fully functional. This is a guide to making those changes to your installed system.
    Thanks. Certainly it would make things better for newbies if that were blurted out right in the OP. And I couldn't make out whether the thread itself is the Guide or the installed packages are the Guide or contain the guide. Newbies are not even going to know what Packman and zypper are.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ILayTheAsphalt View Post
    Thanks. Certainly it would make things better for newbies if that were blurted out right in the OP. And I couldn't make out whether the thread itself is the Guide or the installed packages are the Guide or contain the guide. Newbies are not even going to know what Packman and zypper are.
    I think its always a quandary as to how much hand holding is to be done with an Operating System to all users, new and old.

Wrt "Packman", I had thought it immediately intuitively obvious it is a repository. The very first post states "STEP 1: Add Packman and libdvdcss repositories". .... note the "and" and the plural in "repositories". Ergo, Packman is a repository.

So whats a repository? That can be found out via google - although perhaps a sentence explaining what a 'repository' is might not hurt. Of course its also in the openSUSE manual if one were to look.

Wrt zypper, a simple search "openSUSE zypper" in google provides many hits, if not the top hit SDB: Zypper usage ... where it states "this article is about how to use Zypper, the command line package manager". Also a pretty good manual comes with LEAP-15.1. Again, a basic search of "openSUSE manual" on Google gives many links to the manual. With the manual a quick search for zypper and one will find it out.

So I guess it begs the question again .... how much hand holding to do for a newbie? - especially given the information is easy to find out. Should a newbie be expected to know the use of Google?

I guess some believe they should not need to do the occasional google search if something appears strange to them. .... Fair enough

One good thing, is openSUSE is open to volunteer support. If you feel strong about this view that there is not enough detail, please feel free to chip in and help and make this and other aspects more clear that you believe will help 'newbies'. My view is that there is enough detail already, but I fully appreciate others may have a strong differing view, ... in which case extra tactfully submitted contributions by those who differ, to help update guides ... etc ... is always appreciated ....

Last edited by oldcpu; 28-Sep-2019 at 02:59.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast