Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Plasma crashes - I think - when resizing desktop widget

Blog Entries

Default Re: Plasma crashes - I think - when resizing desktop widget

Quote Originally Posted by trekjunky View Post
    Okay. It's my fault! Now can I get some help?
    Be patient and wait for others who can assist to volunteer their advice. Remember, users are located in different time-zones, and balance their time/energy with sleep, work and other commitments.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5

I'm so sorry to offend all of you. I see patterns of hate and point them out. I'm so sorry that I accused ALL of you. All I want is for someone to help me, but I get one rebuke after another instead of help. People keep saying that they are trying to help me, yet, it seems to me that I am inundated with rebukes. So I wholeheartedly apologize and will refrain from accusing and just keep demanding help until it is resolved.
    "patterns of hate" ??? Well I guess if that's what you see, that's what you see.

"just keep demanding help" Demanding is not the best way to encourage others to help you.

Well I'm very sorry, but after this post I don't intend to devote any more of *my* time to *your* problem. I do, nonetheless, wish you well and hope there is an eventual resolution to your problem(s).

In post #25 you wrote:
    I wonder how many times my system will break RIGHT after a suggested update? It must be the 7th time now.
    and in post #33
    The system is stable for a few days to a week AFTER I do a re-install of the OS, so currently it is stable.
    Now in my book, a system that breaks, not once but seven times, after an update is *not* stable.

You need to address that issue before any other.

Now I don't know why it happens, but I do know it's *not* because there are "certain codes specifically sent to my system". - Believe me, no one is out to get you, honest.

In post #20 you shared you list of repositories.

I'm not familiar with AMD graphics hardware/software, so your set-up may be the norm, but I wonder about the content of your local repository (#1 AMDGPU dir:/home/trekjunky/Public). Are you certain that anything you have there is compatible with 15.1 - does not the 15.1 provided "xf86-video-amdgpu" work correctly?

OK... We'll leave that aside and return to the resizing widget crashing plasma.

If you think the issue is with the widget then the way to go is the bug report against the widget - and I respectfully suggest it needs to be more than a fragment of log and "Please help".

Does it still happen if you disable compositing, or change the rendering back-end?

On the other hand, if you think the issue is with KDE/Plasma itself, then the following link contains information that may help.

https://community.kde.org/Guidelines..._crash_reports

Perhaps, others may step in and help ...
    Regards, Paul

2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20200314) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.1 KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    "patterns of hate" ??? Well I guess if that's what you see, that's what you see.

"just keep demanding help" Demanding is not the best way to encourage others to help you.

Well I'm very sorry, but after this post I don't intend to devote any more of *my* time to *your* problem. I do, nonetheless, wish you well and hope there is an eventual resolution to your problem(s).

In post #25 you wrote:

and in post #33

Now in my book, a system that breaks, not once but seven times, after an update is *not* stable.

You need to address that issue before any other.

Now I don't know why it happens, but I do know it's *not* because there are "certain codes specifically sent to my system". - Believe me, no one is out to get you, honest.

In post #20 you shared you list of repositories.

I'm not familiar with AMD graphics hardware/software, so your set-up may be the norm, but I wonder about the content of your local repository (#1 AMDGPU dir:/home/trekjunky/Public). Are you certain that anything you have there is compatible with 15.1 - does not the 15.1 provided "xf86-video-amdgpu" work correctly?

OK... We'll leave that aside and return to the resizing widget crashing plasma.

If you think the issue is with the widget then the way to go is the bug report against the widget - and I respectfully suggest it needs to be more than a fragment of log and "Please help".

Does it still happen if you disable compositing, or change the rendering back-end?

On the other hand, if you think the issue is with KDE/Plasma itself, then the following link contains information that may help.

https://community.kde.org/Guidelines..._crash_reports

Perhaps, others may step in and help ...
    I tried disabling the compositing and when I tried to resize the widget the screen didn't go black but what was on the screen just froze with nothing responding except CTRL+ESC, so I did a search for server, found ksmserver and ended task on it. It brings me back to the login in effect logging me out. I re enable compositing but changed the renderer to xrender and the screen blanks when I resize the widget. Same with OPENGL 3.0. Default is OpenGL 2.0.

This note is hoping that you'all had a great weekend. Looking forward to some more help. I did as tannington suggested, but no solution yet. Still hopeful.

Hello? Anyone out there? The updates are piling up and I would like to apply them to see what new problem they cause. But I promised Tannigton that I would refrain from updating my OS until the widget problem is fixed. I responded to tannington days ago, but I guess he is too busy to respond. Do I have to depend on tannington or is there someone who is tannington's apprentice who can be a go between? I understand there are others with problems, But I've gone days without a response so I feel neglected - abandoned. If I don't get anything by the end of tonight, I will go ahead and apply the updates to see the new surprise

Blog Entries

Do I have to depend on tannington or is there someone who is tannington's apprentice who can be a go between?
    Actually, tannington is just an openSUSE user, much like most other people who participate in these forums. He just happens to know a lot more about KDE internals than most of us.

I would suggest that you go ahead and apply updates as appropriate.

And yes, I know that we have not come up with a solution for your particular problem. But the forum is really just users helping other users. If nobody else has run into your problem, it is possible that nobody will be able to help you with that issue.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Actually, tannington is just an openSUSE user, much like most other people who participate in these forums. He just happens to know a lot more about KDE internals than most of us.

I would suggest that you go ahead and apply updates as appropriate.

And yes, I know that we have not come up with a solution for your particular problem. But the forum is really just users helping other users. If nobody else has run into your problem, it is possible that nobody will be able to help you with that issue.
    Now that widget won't update. It's stuck on a temperature from a week ago. I will try to re-install the widget from the git hub. BTW, someone should have thought of that before. I guess I really am on my own. And you wonder why I am pissed. I tout this forum as the most helpful forum around, yet you won't help me. It is a conspiracy!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Now that widget won't update. It's stuck on a temperature from a week ago.
    I have sometimes used the "Weather forecast" widget, which I can just turn on with "System Tray Settings". And it sometimes fails to update. And when it fails to update, it won't update (the weather) until I logout and login again.

So I stopped using that, and I instead check the weather app on my smart phone.

When it comes to something like a weather app, we have two choices:
    1. We learn to live with the app that is available, with all of its problems; or
    2. We write our own app, and contribute it to the public domain for others to use.

At present, if I want weather on my desktop, I check my Yahoo mail and get the weather from the yahoo page. And sometimes that hasn't updated either. C'est la vie.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345