Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Grub not seeing Opensuse

  1. #1

    Exclamation Grub not seeing Opensuse

    So I installed the g05 and all i got the the log in screen was my cursor, so i went into the terminal (via Ctrl+Alt+F1) logged in that way and uninstalled the driver using the command on the wiki.
    It uninstalled the g05 driver so I rebooted, after the reboot Opensuse 15.1 was not on the boot loader, I watched the uninstall and it did some stuff but it did not say it would remove opensuse from my boot loader. The command i used was `zypper rm drm-kmp-default` and it said it would uninstall the G05 driver and nothing else.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,631
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Grub not seeing Opensuse

    I'm not sure what you did there.

    I assume that "g05" is a reference to the nvidia driver. But I am unable to find "drm-kmp-default" anywhere, even when I add the nvidia repo.

    Do you have other linux systems installed? Is the grub menu coming from openSUSE or from a different linux system?
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  3. #3

    Post Re: Grub not seeing Opensuse

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I'm not sure what you did there.

    I assume that "g05" is a reference to the nvidia driver. But I am unable to find "drm-kmp-default" anywhere, even when I add the nvidia repo.

    Do you have other linux systems installed? Is the grub menu coming from openSUSE or from a different linux system?
    The Grub 2 boot loader is opensuse's, All i have installed is opensuse and windows 10.

    Yes it is the nVidia G05 driver. The command i used is in this page https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_the_hard_way when you scroll down a bit
    `
    Uninstall conflicts

    On Leap 42.3 you need to uninstall the drm-kmp-default package.
    # zypper rm drm-kmp-default
    `

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,631
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Grub not seeing Opensuse

    I'm still not sure what you did.

    Are you using the grub from 42.3 to boot 15.1?

    When I do that, I add an entry to "/etc/grub.d/40_custom", so that the grub menu will have an entry using "configfile" to run the "grub.cfg" from the 15.1 system.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  5. #5

    Default Re: Grub not seeing Opensuse

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I'm still not sure what you did.

    Are you using the grub from 42.3 to boot 15.1?

    When I do that, I add an entry to "/etc/grub.d/40_custom", so that the grub menu will have an entry using "configfile" to run the "grub.cfg" from the 15.1 system.
    I am using 15.1 grub. everything is 15.1

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,631
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Grub not seeing Opensuse

    Quote Originally Posted by aCyborg View Post
    I am using 15.1 grub. everything is 15.1
    Then it is weird that it would not have an entry to boot 15.1.

    Have you checked "/boot" to see if there are still kernels (and corresponding "initrd" files) there?
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  7. #7

    Question Re: Grub not seeing Opensuse

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Then it is weird that it would not have an entry to boot 15.1.

    Have you checked "/boot" to see if there are still kernels (and corresponding "initrd" files) there?
    in the Grub 2 command thing?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,631
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Grub not seeing Opensuse

    Quote Originally Posted by aCyborg View Post
    in the Grub 2 command thing?
    What's actually on disk in the "/boot" partition? You might need to boot rescue media to be able to check.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  9. #9

    Question Re: Grub not seeing Opensuse

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    What's actually on disk in the "/boot" partition? You might need to boot rescue media to be able to check.
    Is there a way i can look though windows? My opensuse rescue live CD had a whole bunch of errors... that made me sad

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    1,696

    Default Re: Grub not seeing Opensuse

    Quote Originally Posted by aCyborg View Post
    Is there a way i can look though windows?
    I don't know of any for openSUSE's default BTRFS filesystem. If you used EXT4 there is reputedly a driver for Windows available.

    My opensuse rescue live CD had a whole bunch of errors... that made me sad
    What CD is that? You can use the 15.1 installation media for rescue access.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •