Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrade frpm Leap 15.0 via zypper dup..."Nothing to do"

Blog Entries

Default Re: Upgrade frpm Leap 15.0 via zypper dup..."Nothing to do"

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Those whose disk space is limited can disable downloading all rpms in advance of installation with a zypper option or via zypp.conf modification.
    Maybe I should comment on this.

I actually put the package cache on an NFS server, so that I can share it between several systems. And I had lots of space on that NFS server.

When I switched the repos to 15.1, I also switched the package cache directories to those for 15.1 (by changing a few symbolic links).

I'm pretty sure it would have worked without that. My root partition had room to spare.
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5.24.4;
    testing Tumbleweed.

@nrickert
    Yes, you do need space for those packages.

My root partition had room to spare.
    What space would be required on root and elsewhere to do the upgrade from 15.0 to 15.1?
    I am interested in trying an upgrade instead of a fresh install, following the steps you suggested in #2 of this thread.
    Machine # 1 - Asus Prime Z390A, i7-9700k 3.6GHz, 32.0 GB ram, Tumbleweed 64-bit, KDE Plasma 5.24.0
    Machine # 2 - Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe, i7-3770k 3.5GHz, 16.0 GB ram, Tumbleweed KDE Plasma 5.24.0

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LaQuirrELL View Post
    What space would be required on root and elsewhere to do the upgrade from 15.0 to 15.1?
    If you do "zypper dup -D" (dry-run) instead of just "zypper dup", zypper will report whether the process should succeed (adequate freespace).
    Reg. Linux User 211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.3, TW, 15.1 & 13.1 on Haswell @earthlink.net
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.2 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: Debian, Fedora, Mageia, more on Rocket Lake & older Intel, AMD, NVidia....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LaQuirrELL View Post
    The main issue will be for the root partition (or, really, the partition containing "/var/cache/zypp") since that is where the packages are downloaded.

My rough guess would be that the root partition should be no more than 2/3 full. The downloaded packages are compressed, so roughly half the size of what will be installed. So with 2/3 full, you would have half of that 2/3 (i.e. 1/3) for downloading. Once installing starts, space gets freed up. The older 15.0 software is removed, the new package is installed, then that downloaded package is removed.

I like the suggestion of mrmazda to start with a dry run to find out.
    testing Tumbleweed.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Maybe I should comment on this. I actually put the package cache on an NFS server, so that I can share it between several systems. And I had lots of space on that NFS server. When I switched the repos to 15.1, I also switched the package cache directories to those for 15.1 (by changing a few symbolic links). I'm pretty sure it would have worked without that. My root partition had room to spare.
    Although slightly OT: Is there a how-to available for setting this up Additional question: As I 'm currently setting up a new linux file server (as usual with samba), NFS is still not available natively in Win7, or? As the most important clients for the NAS are some Win 7 64bit machines...
    Kind regards

raspu

Blog Entries

Hey guys,
    If you want to save yourself a lot of work and possible mistakes modifying repo files, don't do it manually.

Follow the instructions in

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:System_upgrade

which provides the following command which modifies all your repo configurations from 15.0 to 15.1.
    If you are upgrading from a different openSUSE version, you can substitute your version for "15.0" in the script
    Code:
    sed -i 's/15.0/15.1/g' /etc/zypp/repos.d/*
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suse_rasputin View Post
    Although slightly OT: Is there a how-to available for setting this up
    I blogged about it at the time I set this up:
    Sharing updates with opensuse

Ignore the problems that I mentioned with NetworkManager -- that has been fixed.

Additional question: As I 'm currently setting up a new linux file server (as usual with samba), NFS is still not available natively in Win7, or? As the most important clients for the NAS are some Win 7 64bit machines...
    I don't think NFS is available in Windows. I'm using one of my linux systems as NFS server.
    testing Tumbleweed.

There is apparently a way to install the win 8 NFS client on Win 7, but I never tried it....

Did you run SMB / NFS performance test back-to-back? Is NFS significantly faster?
    Kind regards

raspu

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suse_rasputin View Post
    Did you run SMB / NFS performance test back-to-back? Is NFS significantly faster?
    I never tested that. I just setup SMB for Windows clients and NFS for linux clients. And both worked, so I didn't worry about performance. However, NFS of WiFi is not the best, so I use ethernet.
    testing Tumbleweed.

Blog Entries

For anyone who has the time and motivation, I decided to do a little looking around regarding NFS on Windows...

First, what is officially supported...
    NFS only on currently supported MSWindows Servers, functionality supports setting up both NFS Server and/or client, and only NFS v3.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...s/nfs-overview

Regarding MSWindows Desktop versions, there are various articles that describe "Services for Unix" available in any MSWindows "Pro" version or better, (starting with Windows 7)
    https://graspingtech.com/mount-nfs-share-windows-10/

But, NFSv3 is old, and what if you have Windows Home machines?
    I found the following project creating a cross-platform, fully featured library which appears to be actively maintained (most recent significant contributions less than 3 months ago)
    https://github.com/sahlberg/libnfs

At the end of the above project, it describes two other projects which implement the NFS library as a FUSE file system supporting NFS mounts.
    Of the following two, I recommend trying the first since it appears to be actively maintained, while the other may work... I don't know though if the 2 year old wrapper will work fine with the updated libraries (there might not be any problems)

FUSE NFS Crossbuild scripts
    Instructions
    https://github.com/Daniel-Abrecht/fu...sbuild-scripts
    Downloads
    https://github.com/Daniel-Abrecht/fu...ripts/releases

NFS-Win
    https://github.com/billziss-gh/nfs-win
    This requires building (make) on Windows, I don't know what is recommended. Maybe asking the author what he recommends is in order (submit github "issue"). I assume then you only need to clone this project to your machine and download WinFsp as described is required then build.

If anyone wants to explore this, good luck and report back!

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12