Thread: freezing and then rebooting on its own

Default freezing and then rebooting on its own

New PC [Machine # 1] and newly installed Leap 15.0 [2 - 3 weeks] using an WD SN750 250GB nvme m.2 for the 1st time [btrfs]

Machine not used for anything heavy, no gaming or video editing.

May have 6 or 7 file [Dolphin] windows open.
    Running chrome with 2 or 3 tabs open
    Music player [Clementine] running
    Solitaire game [KPat] running.

All of a sudden the desktop will freeze and while waiting a bit to see if it will clear itself , the PC reboots itself.
    This all occurs within a minute from the time it freezes until the reboot happens.
    I am not doing anything in particular when this occurs, maybe reading an email or using facebook or starting a program [Audacity,
    Leafpad, etc.]

I have read a few posts about desktop freezing in in Plasma in Leap 15.0, but not the reboot that my PC does.

What might I check for my nvme ssd to see if that might be a problem? [proper setup for btrfs, etc.]
    1st time for me for btfrs and 1st time for nvme.

In /var/log which log might tell me something about what is happening?
    I have looked at some of them, but am not really understanding what they say.

Would running "journalctl -f" tell me anything.
    How would I get the results from "journalctl -f" after the machine has rebooted?

These are all guesses from the other posts I have read , but again none of the other posts mention a reboot occuring within their problem.
    What other information/tests can I provide to solve this problem?

Thank You
    Machine # 1 - Asus Prime Z390A, i7-9700k 3.6GHz, 32.0 GB ram, openSUSE Leap 15.0 64-bit, KDE Plasma 5.12.8
    Machine # 2 - Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe, i7-3770k 3.5GHz, 16.0 GB ram, Debian 10 Buster 64-bit, LXDE

Default Re: freezing and then rebooting on its own

IME, spontaneous reboots are most likely a result of a hardware defect. Just how new is new? Return to vendor could be a good idea, but if you built it yourself, which component is bad must be isolated. Switching RAM modules around in their slots and tweaking RAM voltage is first I would try. PS is next switch I would try.

This could be defective hardware support as new as the motherboard is with a kernel as "old" as 15.0 has (it is loaded with backports for newer hardware). Your motherboard is probably newer than the original 4.12 kernel release, might be missing a backport it needs. 15.1 was officially released today, so maybe a better first try would be the 15.1 kernel, or upgrade completely to 15.1.

-f means to follow, applicable only to a current boot. Journalctl -b -1 will give the prior boot journal, as much as was persisted before the reboot, and likely to omit whatever triggered the reboot.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Default Re: freezing and then rebooting on its own

Thank you mrmazda for your reply.

Just how new is new
    approx 2 1/2 weeks old

Switching RAM modules around in their slots and tweaking RAM voltage
    Reinstalled as suggested but I am not familiar with tweaking ram voltages, however I did read about turning on XMP and have done so. Also I have set AI Performance [Auto overclocking]back to Normal as I am sure that is all it needs.

PS is next switch I would try.
    Sorry, what is PS? [power supply?]
    Machine # 1 - Asus Prime Z390A, i7-9700k 3.6GHz, 32.0 GB ram, openSUSE Leap 15.0 64-bit, KDE Plasma 5.12.8
    Machine # 2 - Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe, i7-3770k 3.5GHz, 16.0 GB ram, Debian 10 Buster 64-bit, LXDE