Thread: How to fix the menu key

Default How to fix the menu key

I don't know what I did. Leap 15.0 kde.

I can click on the gecko and get the main menu, but I must have done something, I don't know what, when I press on the Windows key of my keyboard it doesn't open the main menu anymore. Earlier this morning, it was working properly...

How can I fix it?

Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to fix the menu key

I have never had that happen. So I don't really have any experience with this.

Here are some things to try:

(1) Does rebooting help?

(2) Create new user. See if the problem also applies to that new user. This helps distinguish between user settings and system-wide settings.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by elfroggio View Post
    I can click on the gecko and get the main menu, but I must have done something, I don't know what, when I press on the Windows key of my keyboard it doesn't open the main menu anymore. Earlier this morning, it was working properly...
    Possibly a slight corruption in the KDE cache – logout – either from a VT or a “root” Konsole from another user, clean out ~/.cache/ for the affected user – check what the affected user has in /tmp/ and then, possibly, clean up everything the affected user has there – same again for /var/tmp/ – check the affected user's ~/.kde4/ directory – clean up there as well …

Check the key mapping:

System Settings -> Shortcuts -> Global Shortcuts -> Plasma -> Activate Application Menu Widget
    Regards, Paul

2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20191109) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.1 KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    System Settings -> Shortcuts -> Global Shortcuts -> Plasma -> Activate Application Menu Widget
    As a follow up with a little more information after looking at this on both a leap 15.0 and TW system

The global shortcut should be set to Alt + F1 (not exactly intuitive). On both of the above systems left and right "Windows" key, (as well as Alt + F1) opens the Application Menu.

I'm guessing that the reason it perhaps stopped working (if you've not altered any keymappings) was the widget ID somehow changed, so the line in "~/.config/kglobalshortcutsrc" ("activate widget 23=Alt+F1,none,Activate Application Menu Widget") had the wrong "widget nn=..." Note: the ID number is dependent upon your own installation.
    Regards, Paul

2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20191109) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.1 KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I have never had that happen. So I don't really have any experience with this.

Here are some things to try:

(1) Does rebooting help?
    Yes, it fixed it, but the first boot died and hanged at loading X11, doing a reboot from the usb stick > rescue mode > shutdown -r now and then it worked

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    (2) Create new user. See if the problem also applies to that new user. This helps distinguish between user settings and system-wide settings.
    Now it's working so I won't be able to test it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Possibly a slight corruption in the KDE cache – logout – either from a VT or a “root” Konsole from another user, clean out ~/.cache/ for the affected user – check what the affected user has in /tmp/ and then, possibly, clean up everything the affected user has there – same again for /var/tmp/ – check the affected user's ~/.kde4/ directory – clean up there as well …
    Very interesting. I started going through the .cache and the /tmp.

Why do I have entries for software that was never used not installed like: falkon

Thanks

Question Re: How to fix the menu key

Why do I have entries for software that was never used not installed like: falkon
    Where exactly were those entries?
    • I can only suggest that, they're cached entries from one of your applications (could also be a Web-Browser's cache) which has cached an entry related to “falkon” …

Blog Entries

As far as I know, "falkon" comes as part of your KDE install. And yes, I also have not used it -- well, maybe I used it once.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha