How to fix the menu key

I don’t know what I did. Leap 15.0 kde.

I can click on the gecko and get the main menu, but I must have done something, I don’t know what, when I press on the Windows key of my keyboard it doesn’t open the main menu anymore. Earlier this morning, it was working properly…

How can I fix it?

Thanks

I have never had that happen. So I don’t really have any experience with this.

Here are some things to try:

(1) Does rebooting help?

(2) Create new user. See if the problem also applies to that new user. This helps distinguish between user settings and system-wide settings.

Possibly a slight corruption in the KDE cache – logout – either from a VT or a “root” Konsole from another user, clean out ~/.cache/ for the affected user – check what the affected user has in /tmp/ and then, possibly, clean up everything the affected user has there – same again for /var/tmp/ – check the affected user’s ~/.kde4/ directory – clean up there as well …

Check the key mapping:

System Settings -> Shortcuts -> Global Shortcuts -> Plasma -> Activate Application Menu Widget

As a follow up with a little more information after looking at this on both a leap 15.0 and TW system

The global shortcut should be set to Alt + F1 (not exactly intuitive). On both of the above systems left and right “Windows” key, (as well as Alt + F1) opens the Application Menu.

I’m guessing that the reason it perhaps stopped working (if you’ve not altered any keymappings) was the widget ID somehow changed, so the line in “~/.config/kglobalshortcutsrc” (“activate widget 23=Alt+F1,none,Activate Application Menu Widget”) had the wrong “widget nn=…” Note: the ID number is dependent upon your own installation.

Yes, it fixed it, but the first boot died and hanged at loading X11, doing a reboot from the usb stick > rescue mode > shutdown -r now and then it worked

Now it’s working so I won’t be able to test it.

Thanks

Very interesting. I started going through the .cache and the /tmp.

Why do I have entries for software that was never used not installed like: falkon

Thanks

Where exactly were those entries?

• I can only suggest that, they’re cached entries from one of your applications (could also be a Web-Browser’s cache) which has cached an entry related to “falkon” …

As far as I know, “falkon” comes as part of your KDE install. And yes, I also have not used it – well, maybe I used it once.