Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: After using zipper dup to apply updates on 2019.05.18, TW boots to CLI...no KDE GUI

Default After using zipper dup to apply updates on 2019.05.18, TW boots to CLI...no KDE GUI

I applied updates normally this morning but when I closed terminal and rebooted desktop PC, it displayed the CLI with a login: prompt. Today's 239 updates included a kernel update to 5.1.2-1 Interesting. I tried booting from an earlier Tumbleweed kernel (5.0.13-1) and it worked as expected...went right to my KDE desktop.

So, I thought, maybe during my download/update process this morning there was a hiccup, and a file was corrupted. Next I downloaded openSUSE-Tumbleweed-DVD-x86_64-Snapshot20190516-Media.iso and burned that to a USB stick. I booted from the USB stick, updated my Tumbleweed and rebooted. Again, it displayed the CLI...no GUI. After I logged in, the display read:
    You have new mail.
    Last login: Sun May 19 08:02:31 on tty1
    Have a lot of fun...
    randy@pc9:~>

Again I booted from an earlier Tumbleweed kernel (5.0.13-1) and it worked as expected...went right to my KDE desktop.

Hardware is as follows...

ASUS Workstation WS Z390 PRO LGA 1151 9th Gen ATX Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 9700K Desktop processor 8 cores 4.9 GHz
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 2X16 GB DDR4 2666 MHz
    Samsung 960 EVO series 500 GB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD (mounted as /)
    Western Digital Desktop Mainstream 3.5 “ 2 TB SATA FDD (unused)
    Seagate Technology ST2000DM001 3.5” 2 TB SATA FDD (mounted as /home)
    ASUS NVIDIA STRIX-GTX1050TI-04G-GAMING graphics Card

Any workaround? Should I keep using the older kernel until there's a newer (than 5.1.2-1) kernel? Other ideas? Thanks in advance for any insights you can provide to get me out of this bind.

Default Re: After using zipper dup to apply updates on 2019.05.18, TW boots to CLI...no KDE GUI

Same thing today after recent update (zypper dup):
    - kernel 5.1.2 do not load X and sddm
    - trying to boot older kernel 5.0.13 - boots X and sddm but Plasma fail to load: multiple kdeinit5 and Akonadi errors, session restored but plasmashell do not load:
    Code:
    > plasmashell
    Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyorg.kde.plasmaquick: Applet preload policy set to 1
    file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.weather/contents/ui/FullRepresentation.qml:79:5: QML Button: Detected anchors on an item that is managed by a layout. This is undefined behavior; use Layout.alignment instead.
    file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.weather/contents/ui/FullRepresentation.qml:79:5: QML Button: Detected anchors on an item that is managed by a layout. This is undefined behavior; use Layout.alignment instead.
    file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/ui/main.qml:62:5: Unable to assign [undefined] to int
    file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/ui/main.qml:53:5: Unable to assign [undefined] to int
    trying to show an empty dialog
    file:///usr/share/plasma/shells/org.kde.plasma.desktop/contents/views/Desktop.qml:146:19: QML Loader: Binding loop detected for property "height"
    file:///usr/share/plasma/shells/org.kde.plasma.desktop/contents/views/Desktop.qml:146:19: QML Loader: Binding loop detected for property "height"
    KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/bin/plasmashell from kdeinit
    sock_file=/run/user/1000/kdeinit5__0
    KCrash: Application 'plasmashell' crashing...
    KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib64/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
    sock_file=/run/user/1000/kdeinit5__0
    QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 8 and type 'Read', disabling...
    QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 25 and type 'Read', disabling...
    There was workaround to downgrade to older Tumbleweed release. Share the link to instructions please.

Default Re: After using zipper dup to apply updates on 2019.05.18, TW boots to CLI...no KDE GUI

Sounds like kernel update has broken nvidia driver modules. Do you have them installed?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankyU2 View Post
    Sounds like kernel update has broken nvidia driver modules. Do you have them installed?
    Yes, I have.

Simple to the grub choose the previous Kernel, a few days time and the Nvidia Drivers will be aligned with the new Kernel
    ------------------------------------
    Correct me if I'm wrong .
    ------------------------------------

Find in my old threads:
    Code:
    sudo tumbleweed switch 20190514
    sudo tumbleweed --install
    But it does not work for some reason.Found some link: https://github.com/boombatower/tumbl...tion-and-usage - however
    Code:
    tumbleweed revert --install
    installs nothing as well, no downgrade. How to force? Something else to add?

If they're installed from https://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/tumbleweed and this is the issue you might need to wait for an update to fix the problem.

https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed
    Third Party Drivers
    Due to the fast pace of kernel upgrades on Tumbleweed, 3rd party kernel driver modules may not be fast enough to catch up with the latest kernel version.
    NVidia’s proprietary driver generally works very well with Tumbleweed.

Quote Originally Posted by enziosavio View Post
    Simple to the grub choose the previous Kernel, a few days time and the Nvidia Drivers will be aligned with the new Kernel
    As I mentioned I selected previous kernel and now have Plasma errors - KDE does not work. Need to downgrade tumbleweed to previous version, however no luck as well. Any suggestions?

I don't use the tumbleweed-cli tool yet but unless kernel downgrade occurs will likely not fix issue anyway.
    Probably easier to do as ensiosavio previously advised and simply boot into the older kernel for now at the boot menu.

Quote Originally Posted by akontsevich View Post
    Find in my old threads:
    Code:
    sudo tumbleweed switch 20190514
    sudo tumbleweed --install
    But it does not work for some reason.Found some link: https://github.com/boombatower/tumbl...tion-and-usage - however
    Code:
    tumbleweed revert --install
    installs nothing as well, no downgrade. How to force? Something else to add?

Yes, tried as I mentioned. CLI says nothing to do: no packages download, downgrade, etc. I was able to do this previously. Older kernel does not work as well as I mentioned as KDE version was updated as well - need to downgrade it as well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast