Can we install .deb app files on openSuse? e.g., Signal

Highly recommended Signal messaging app comes only in the .deb form. Can it or other .deb apps be installed on openSuse?

There’s a branched package in my repo: Welcome - openSUSE Build Service, I use this version myself and it works nicely.

**THANK YOU hero! Added your trusted repo today… now have Signal working after Discovery installation failed. ;]
photos.app.goo.gl/bwBqFfVS9KccmZXXA

Hi Knurpht,
Found this thread and your repo and am asking if I could please seek advice on how to install Signal on Tumbleweed. I have found your links and the build service but am spoiled for choice as to what I must download.
Grateful for advice please when you have time.
Regards,
Budgie2

Further to my last post my question is because I am getting this error:-

Error: INVALID:signal-desktop-1.29.6-3.1.x86_64 (file-7a315f82): Signature verification failed [4-Signatures public key is not available]
Header V3 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID cdd3fc34: NOKEY
Header SHA256 digest: OK
Header SHA1 digest: OK
Payload SHA256 digest: OK
V3 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID cdd3fc34: NOKEY
MD5 digest: OK

Clearly I need to install a key but not sure how.

zypper ar -f https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Knurpht:/Extras/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/home:Knurpht:Extras.repo
zypper ref

Accept key. Done.

It will also keep your signal up to date if you do ref/update/dup.

So we have an error, but no command or program or whatever that generated it. :frowning:

I assume @Miuku’s advice is a good one. And when you have problems with it, then please post including the commands so we are aware of what you did.

Hi Miuku,
Many thanks for the help. All done using your commands but being me I am not sure on two things.
In the last line you suggest :-It will also keep your signal up to date if you do ref/update/dup. What exactly are the commands you advise?

Second question concerns the updating process. In my console I have the list of repos which are stated as now up to date but the Knurpht repo is not included. If I now use my usual update command Sudo zypper dup, will that also update the Signal installation?

Many thanks once more.
Budgie2

In fact he means that now you have added the repo, it will automagicaly be used when you update your system in the way you do that normaly according to your habit.

That probably being using zypper ref (which left out by many because most have switch automatic ref on) end zypper up for Leap and zypper dup for Tumbleweed. Or a YaST equivalent.

Hi and thanks for this. When I first tried the installation I used Yast to install the rpm download form Signal.org website but that was when I received the errors even though (like Skype which I installed earlier) the application ran even without the key. I am becoming more comfortable with the CLI approach but there is so much to read, like I just read man zypper to reassure myself. Anyhow Miuku advice was what was needed and I see the repo installed where I expected but didn’t recognise it at first as it doesn’t mention Signal but refers to “Extras” which confused me.

Only one concern and that is that the github version of Signal is 1.32.1 but the version I have now is 1.29.6. and I wanted to understand why they are different.

Many thanks again.
Budgie2

Knurpht will need to package the new version, perhaps you could send him a message and ask him nicely to update it :slight_smile:

There is a perfectly functional flatpak for Signal. I have been using for a long… Long time.