Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Apps icons - How to add your own icons

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South-West France
    Posts
    1,037

    Default Apps icons - How to add your own icons

    Hello.

    I would like to put my own icons somewhere so I did not have to browse for settings icon when adding a link to an application.

    I would like to see my icons in "Properties for Link to Application"/"System icons"/"Applications" icon source panel

    Or in "Properties for Link to Application"/"Other icons"

    Any help is welcome.
    Thanks for helping. JCD
    __________
    server leap 15.0 -- ASUS g75vw KDE leap 15.0 -- ASUS g750JZ Optimus KDE leap 15.1 -- acer aspire s13 win 10 home -- HP Omen win 10 home - scan EPSON V500 - Brother HL2250DN - Samsung CLP-325W

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,865
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Apps icons - How to add your own icons

    Hi
    At a user level, I use ~/.icons, ~/.fonts and ~/.themes for them to be available for my user.

    I can then create a desktop file and put in the icon name (no path or file extension) and it's there...

    There are desktop file specifications to follow that will put them in the correct categories as well....
    https://specifications.freedesktop.o...egory-registry
    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Pac...enu_categories

    Your user desktop files are normally in ~/.local/share/applications/
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South-West France
    Posts
    1,037

    Default Re: Apps icons - How to add your own icons

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    At a user level, I use ~/.icons, ~/.fonts and ~/.themes for them to be available for my user.

    I can then create a desktop file and put in the icon name (no path or file extension) and it's there...

    There are desktop file specifications to follow that will put them in the correct categories as well....
    https://specifications.freedesktop.o...egory-registry
    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Pac...enu_categories

    Your user desktop files are normally in ~/.local/share/applications/
    I will read that.

    But my question is more searching a global place.
    Something like libreoffice. Where are put the icons during install ?

    Thank you for helping.
    Thanks for helping. JCD
    __________
    server leap 15.0 -- ASUS g75vw KDE leap 15.0 -- ASUS g750JZ Optimus KDE leap 15.1 -- acer aspire s13 win 10 home -- HP Omen win 10 home - scan EPSON V500 - Brother HL2250DN - Samsung CLP-325W

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,865
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Apps icons - How to add your own icons

    Quote Originally Posted by jcdole View Post
    I will read that.

    But my question is more searching a global place.
    Something like libreoffice. Where are put the icons during install ?

    Thank you for helping.
    Hi
    System icons live down in /usr/share/icons (split out into themes, hicolor, svg etc) and some in /usr/share/pixmaps for desktop files (not all).
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South-West France
    Posts
    1,037

    Default Re: Apps icons - How to add your own icons

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    System icons live down in /usr/share/icons (split out into themes, hicolor, svg etc) and some in /usr/share/pixmaps for desktop files (not all).
    OK.
    THank you for helping
    Thanks for helping. JCD
    __________
    server leap 15.0 -- ASUS g75vw KDE leap 15.0 -- ASUS g750JZ Optimus KDE leap 15.1 -- acer aspire s13 win 10 home -- HP Omen win 10 home - scan EPSON V500 - Brother HL2250DN - Samsung CLP-325W

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •