Sound

First of all I am currently using W10, no swearing at me please >:). Within my current setup I have an Asus essence STX II sound card. It works well. I have my front panel connected to onboard sound for connection of a set of headphones that automatically disconnect the speakers.

I have been trying Leap 15.1 KDE live version, one of the latest betas. I have got the sound card to work fine in surround mode. This is what I used and all the relevant lights on the console come on, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHxtEvNTSh4 . The only issue is that when I plug in the headphones no sound comes of the headphones whether it is the front panel socket or the socket on the sound card.

What have I tried.

Moving the front panel connector to the sound card, disabling on-board sound in the bios, any combination of that. Along with a load of bad language. Not a squeak, peep or sound.

EDIT:

I have looked in alsamixer from the terminal, the option to mute/unmute is only available for the on-board sound not for the sound card. The headphines do work.

Did you try pavcontrol ?? you may have to install

I did.

With regard to install, I was going down that path.

I ment installpvcontrol

I didn’t explain myself properly, yes I did install it. At the moment am waiting for the release version of 15.1 to download/burn/install

Try Yast> sound and see if you can activate the sound (you’re talking not about an installed system but about a live … true)

sorry for the delay. I did try Yast/Sound etc nothing from the speakers not a peep. Yes it is the Live version as I wish to make sure that this is working before I fully commit myself

I managed to get the headphones to work by using the blind luck method:P

Now, I have that out of the way, when I have the speakers on the headphones are also on. That can be distracting.

Simple solution, unplug the headphones :stuck_out_tongue:

Been a while since I have been here. I have been trying to an Asus Essence STX ii 7.1 soundcard connected via a toslink to a 5.1 speaker setup using the leap 15.1 live kde disk. Not much progress but there have been some.

Sound card has been detected and the various profiles selected, but, and it is a big BUT only the front speakers are working, the surround speakers does not emit anything. I have tried the built in in tests, front left and right sound, front centre sometimes, front and right surround never. I have used Yast, right clicked on the speaker for volume, used system settings/multimedia to configure everything sound related, used terminal/alsamixer. Tried various editing options. The surround speakers not a peep, beep, crackle or any noise. Various speaker tests, online and built in, nothing. DTS AAC etc have been enabled. I have tried swearing at the system, nothing.

As I may have said previously, I would really love to get this working under SuSE so that I can ditch W10 which the card etc works very well. Unless it is just that I am running the liver version is the issue, just a guess.

[HR][/HR]EDIT: I have installed 15.1, set the profiles to analog 5.1 surround sound output iec958 digital input. Run alsamixer as user and root, when I press ESC it comes up with no protocol specified. I know that is not the correct way it is put but you understand what I mean.

When I use the test within system settings/multimedia etc, stereo, or any other test stereo.

I have followed this thread:

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/508117-Surround-sound-configuration-issues

Still stereo

I’m not sure I understand what your current sound issue is? (if you have a current sound issue).

Is your issue that only stereo sound works, but not surround sound?

Stereo only, no surround sound. Sorry if it was a bit dis-jointed. I was getting frustrated at that point so I switched off and walked away.

I have tried most things, run a few things including alsamixer, pavucontrol, yast, system settings/multimedia, installed various libs and software via yast, editied various file too many to list, used google a lot, I was even swearing at the thing, nothing still syereo no surround sound when using the built in test sounds. I would get the person say left and right front, nothing else not a peep out of her.

I still have not unpacked my surround sound speakers (after my move from Europe to Asia), but I had it working in openSUSE-15.0. I suspect they would also work fine in 15.1.

To get surround sound working, it is important you have the correct setting working in pulse audio, hence the recommendation given above for pavucontrol to be installed, and after that the correct configuration applied in the configuration tab. Which setting do you have applied in that tab?

What precisely are you using as a ‘test’ to check for surround sound?

And could you also let us see more detail as to your underlying audio configuration/setup? You can do that by opening a konsole/xterm and with regular user permissions and PC connected to the internet send this command in the konsole/xterm:

/usr/sbin alsa-info.sh

Select the share/upload option when prompted, and then let script run to completion. It will upload some aspects of your configuration to the alsa website, and give you a URL/address what was uploaded. Please share here that upload/address and we will look for something in that configuration that may point to the issue.

A test you could try is download this file chan-id.zip and unzip it, where it will be called chan-id.wav

Then in an xterm or konsole type:

aplay chan-id.wav

Does that yield anything different ? (using that ‘special’ chan-id.wav) ?

Edit: Over 10 years ago (!) I documented my getting surround sound working here: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/413656-Exploring-surround-sound-in-Linux … since then a lot has changed in sound, so likely there are some ‘new curves’ we need to sort, and that thread of my experience may not be of much help.

Back on W10 at the moment but I have just fired up the KDE Liver version, I will do my best I will post the results from that script later.

To test I use desktop(I think) settings/ multimeadia/audio/video test or something like that. Front right and left work fine. According the the Logitech panel all of the speaker lights come on with the 3D light also on. It is connected to my Asus Essence STX ii 7.1 card setup in 5.1 configuration with the daughterboard connected and ob-board sound disable. The only other sound device showing is HDA Nvidia on my GPU which I do turn off.

I know that people do not have issues with this card and under W10, soeey, when I use test all the speakers bep according to their correct area ir: left-surround sound comes out of the left-surround speaker. It could also be my mis-understanding of surround sound but I thought that if I press left-surround a sound will come out of that speaker, in this case nothing at all.

Be sure to download this file chan-id.zip and unzip it, where it will be called chan-id.wav and then in an xterm or konsole type:

aplay chan-id.wav

like I suggested. I’m very curious to learn what you get.

Ok … thanks …

Further, I would really like to know, when you run ‘pavucontrol’ (which I assume you have installed per the above recommendation in this thread) what you have selected in the ‘configuration’ tab?

I am on the live version and all I can hear is front left and right.

In the multimedia area of configure desktop I have analogue 5.1 surround and digital stereo IEC958 inpute and within alsamixer with the correct soundcard enable, I also have SPDIF unmuted

Pavucontrol shows ALL channels

HDA Nvidia off

CMI8788 [Oxygen HD Audio] (Virtuoso 100 (Xonar Essence STX II))

Profile Analog 5.1 Output + Digital Stereo (IEC958) Input

I have tried other permutations of 5.1 output