Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motherboard - ASUS M5A78L-M Plus/USB3 - supported?

Default Motherboard - ASUS M5A78L-M Plus/USB3 - supported?

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A78L-M-PLUS-USB3/

ASUS M5A78L-M Plus/USB3

https://dlcdnimgs.asus.com/websites/global/aboutasus/OS/Linux.pdf

This says it's supported by 'opensuse 11.4'. Is this motherboard fully supported by OPENSUSE 15.1, including USB 3.0?

Is there a setting in the bios for 1866 speed when 2400 memory is installed?

Thanks...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Motherboard - ASUS M5A78L-M Plus/USB3 - supported?

Quote Originally Posted by lord_valarian View Post
    https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A78L-M-PLUS-USB3/

ASUS M5A78L-M Plus/USB3

https://dlcdnimgs.asus.com/websites/global/aboutasus/OS/Linux.pdf

This says it's supported by 'opensuse 11.4'. Is this motherboard fully supported by OPENSUSE 15.1, including USB 3.0?

Thanks...
    Hi
    Check the user manual (pdf) specs, looks like it does shared rather than dedicated USB 3.0...

Code:
    USB - 4 x USB 3.0 / 2.0 ports (2 ports at mid-board; 2 ports at the rear panel)
        -  8 x USB 2.0 / 1.1 ports (4 ports at mid-board; 4 ports at the rear panel)
    And on page 1-6, says it all...

• Due to USB 3.0 controller limitations, USB 3.0 devices can only be used under a Windows® OS environment and after USB 3.0 driver installation.
    So you will be back where you started.....

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

You should expect the board to be fine except for USB3, which a PCIe X1 card should satisfy at low cost.

The RAM should run automatically at the fastest speed that the RAM's SPD reports. Given the price C/net reported for that board, it almost certainly has provision for custom RAM settings, such as overclocking.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    You should expect the board to be fine except for USB3, which a PCIe X1 card should satisfy at low cost.

The RAM should run automatically at the fastest speed that the RAM's SPD reports. Given the price C/net reported for that board, it almost certainly has provision for custom RAM settings, such as overclocking.

Gigabyte 970A-D3SP

There are no presets unlike the msi motherboard. You can change the memory speed manually, but the bios will give a memory error.

Can you recommend a motherboard that will works for my needs? The other is a gigabyte FX version of the above.

Where is the complete list of linux compatible motherboard?

Where is the complete list of linux compatible motherboard?
    I doubt there would ever be any such list. You may find a partial list of known incompatibles, and I know there is at least one partial list of known compatibles, but usually by the time a board gets onto such a list, the manufacturer has already discontinued production of it. This makes motivation to attempt maintaining such a list lacking. Certainly no one entity would be able to acquire every board to test even if it was motivated to try, so any such maintainer is limited to getting much of its input from others, giving rise to differences in testing procedures and opinions, and absences of various desirable specifications.

Far and away most x86 boards are compatible, or will become compatible given enough time between their manufacture and the time required to incorporate any new hardware or technology into FOSS software. A good rule of thumb is a minimum of 6-12 months following a product release tends to be enough time.

I quit buying new motherboards not based on an Intel chipset, and thus an Intel CPU and GPU, over a decade ago, so have no useful direct experience with AMD. Each of my most recently acquired had been out of production probably at least a year. It can be nearly impossible to tell when any given motherboard model was originally produced, and then it's common for makers to slipstream physical or firmware changes without model number changes, only new revision numbers. The new motherboards I bought 11 and 18 months ago worked fine almost from the start. The 18 month Gigabyte had minor trouble with 42.3 but was fine with TW and is with 15.0 and 15.1. The 11 has been flawless WRT openSUSE, trivially less than perfect on Asus' part.
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Check the user manual (pdf) specs, looks like it does shared rather than dedicated USB 3.0...
    And on page 1-6, says it all...
    • Due to USB 3.0 controller limitations, USB 3.0 devices can only be used under a Windows® OS environment and after USB 3.0 driver installation.
    Hi, owner of a Asus H87i-Plus board here. Sadly, I can affirm Malcolm’s findings. I’ve been using the board for 5 years in my main rig running Leap 15.0. I only ever managed to achieve USB-2-level throughputs with it — which is fine for my purposes. The rest of that board works ok for me: mini-ITX form factor, all the right plugs, ports and connectors in the right places, no unnecessary frills etc.

But yes, in the future we really have to study the fine print in all documentation for any board we might be interested in. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by unix111 View Post
    owner of a Asus H87i-Plus board here.
    NAICT, my same age Haswell MSI B85-G41 PC Mate has no USB3 throughput problem. How are you determining these "shared" USB ports are a problem?

NAICT, my same age Haswell MSI B85-G41 PC Mate has no USB3 throughput problem. How are you determining these "shared" USB ports are a problem?
    As I mentioned above, it’s not a problem for me personally; the rare occasions I ever remember that I only have USB-2 throughput available with my board is when reading threads like this one (a thread about an Asus board, not a MSI board), or when doing backups directly via attached external USB-3 storage.

I determine the bandwidth (or rate of data throughput) the old-school way by measuring the time it took to copy a given number of bytes of data. Throughput = bytes/time. If the throughput is less than 480 Mbit/s (60 MB/s) Linux when it’s over 3000 Mbits/s (375 MB/s) on a MacBook via USB-C with the same external USB-3 brige and SATA-SSD attached, I figure the bottleneck is my Asus board. I don’t have the exact figures, but I regularly do some back-of-the-envelope calculations for these kinds of data transfers.

Mind you, it’s not that those USB-3 ports won’t work at all. They’re still operate perfectly with openSUSE, just with USB-2 speeds.

I have an am3+ motherboard 125w support 32gig max.

Quote Originally Posted by unix111 View Post
    As I mentioned above, it’s not a problem for me personally; the rare occasions I ever remember that I only have USB-2 throughput available with my board is when reading threads like this one (a thread about an Asus board, not a MSI board), or when doing backups directly via attached external USB-3 storage.

I determine the bandwidth (or rate of data throughput) the old-school way by measuring the time it took to copy a given number of bytes of data. Throughput = bytes/time. If the throughput is less than 480 Mbit/s (60 MB/s) Linux when it’s over 3000 Mbits/s (375 MB/s) on a MacBook via USB-C with the same external USB-3 brige and SATA-SSD attached, I figure the bottleneck is my Asus board. I don’t have the exact figures, but I regularly do some back-of-the-envelope calculations for these kinds of data transfers.

Mind you, it’s not that those USB-3 ports won’t work at all. They’re still operate perfectly with openSUSE, just with USB-2 speeds.

Reading a webpage, you can set in the bios to make the USB 3.0 to USB 2.00 Do you know about this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast