Thread: opensuse 15.1 reviews

Hybrid View

Wink opensuse 15.1 reviews

a little personal review of opensuse 15.1 rc
    i just tried openSUSE 15.1 RC (beta), my old harddrive crashed and i can't wait 3 weeks to get the 'official' release

openSUSE 15.1 leap simply works pretty well ! just about all apps (e.g. web browsers Firefox, Thunderbird, Libreoffice) i've use in past works with the new versions bundled in the distribution

i'm slightly disappointed that gcc, g++ isn't bundled in the iso image, i think it should be included. But otherwise i've installed that from the repository.
    it is gcc/g++7 in the default in the repository, gcc/g++8 is there but remains separate from the 'stem' gcc naming. i.e. running gcc runs gcc 7, running gcc8 runs gcc8.

the platform i'm running on is
    Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H haswell i7 4790
    (for the lm-sensors (e.g. fan speeds and controls) you'd need to modprobe it87 for it. it used to be that that needs to be manually build and installed)

i installed a Nvidia gtx1070 bought used, but instead of installing the propriety nvidia drivers, i tried nouveau
    while installing mesa-dri-nouveau from the repositories, there is scary warning about app crashes and problems with kde desktop environment and qt apps
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...-Reality-Check

but happily after installing nouveau i've been able to run glx gears and rss-glx-0.9.1-lp151.3.4.x86_64 'screen savers' which run pretty well on nouveau
    and i actually tried sauerbraten, the game plays really well
    http://sauerbraten.org/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cube_2:_Sauerbraten
    without nouveau, Mesa falls back to frame buffer driver and cpu runs >70% on all cores pushing up fan speeds.
    unfortunately, nouveau still isn't very complete, gpu temperatures from lm-sensors seem to be 55 deg C level during gameplay and i'm not sure if it is accurate
    in addition, google earth don't work in noveau currently, the display is 'broken', i'd guess for that it would need the actual nvidia drivers.
    google earth works ok with the Mesa frame buffer driver though.
    otherwise, X11, kde plasma desktop seem to work pretty well fine dispite the dri-nouveau warning.

Blog Entries

Default Re: opensuse 15.1 reviews

Thanks for the review.

Yes, Leap 15.1 is working pretty well. I have it installed on my laptop, but I'm still on 15.0 on my main desktop.

Possibly google-earth might have worked better if you had not installed mesa-dri-nouveau. You can possibly try running google-earth from the command line with LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 in your environment. That would be something like:
    Code:
    LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 google-earth
    except that I'm not sure whether "google-earth" is the correct command to use.

As for "gcc" -- that used to be on the iso before Leap 15.0. But I guess they had to make room for something else (such as all software getting larger). So I now install that from repos.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

If during install Online Repositories is used, one during install has access to the entire distribution repos, i.e. OSS, Non-OSS and their Update equivalents.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Smile Re: opensuse 15.1 reviews

hi nrickert,
    thanks for the tip, yup LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 works!

a fast cpu works just well with
    Code:
    LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 google-earth
    but for the more open GL graphics intensive apps e.g. the rss-glx-* screen savers and various OpenGL games it would keep the cpu running at high loads on all threads.
    Actually that's ok just that the cpu fan would be rather loud, but it would allow users who don't have an expensive graphics card to literally use various OpenGL apps and play OpenGL games.

i'd still make do with Noveau for now as i'm planning to install the Nvidia proprietary GL driver stacks, but i think Noveau has reached some level of maturity and it works quite well for a limited feature set.

well, the dvd iso image size is some 4.3 GB, hence i'd guess it is really filled to the brim
    i'd guess i won't fuss too much about gcc just that it would be good if gcc/g++ that is used in the build and its standard library is bundled on the iso
    that would help as software releases changes rather quick these days, after a while users may encounter situations that needs gcc/g++ say to build an app/component/library and when they try to install it from the repositories, it turns out that the new gcc/g++ and standard lib (i.e. glibc and libstdc++) in new releases is no longer compatible with the current release and the new gcc/g++ install will be fraught with problems which requires the whole distribution to be upgraded as well.

having gcc/g++ bundled in the iso would save the day in that situation as it can be installed from the iso while maintaining compatibility with the current distribution release

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ag123 View Post
    thanks for the tip, yup LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 works!
    Glad to have helped.

Maybe use that only with applications that don't otherwise work.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha