Thread: openSUSE 15.1 presentation slide deck - For all levels Users from never used openSUSE to expert

Blog Entries

Default openSUSE 15.1 presentation slide deck - For all levels Users from never used openSUSE to expert

Am simply updating my 15.0 presentation with 15.1 content,
    So the slide deck is available at the same URL as before...

https://slides.com/tonysu/opensuse/

Although the slide deck can be downloaded, it's deployed online so that anyone can access the slides without any special software or hardware... You only need a web browser and Internet connection, doesn't matter if you're on an openSUSE, another distro, MSWindows, a phone or tablet, etc.

If you'd like to use the deck or any part of it for your own presentation, feel free to clone the presentation and make it your own (You only need to create your own free account).

Unlike other traditional presentations, this does not simply describe differences between openSUSE and other distros, the flow is presented through the eyes of a newbie making decisions pre-install, during the install, and post-install (What should you do after you finish the Install?), including updating, adding new components, how to find Help. Although the openSUSE Startup is more comprehensive, I think as Presentation slides a lot of the info is easier to understand.

Of course, with the new updated content, plenty of new 15.1 features are mentioned, but it also includes things that were new in 15.0 which may not have noticed.

For the next day or so, I'll be adding a couple new sections (YaST, Kubic?) and possibly add some text for content I usually deliver verbally, but the majority of the Slides are now available for viewing (and critiquing).

Enjoy!
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Default Re: openSUSE 15.1 presentation slide deck - For all levels Users from never used openSUSE to expert

Great work, Tony. Kudos!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your other presentation about AlphaZero and your family name make me think about some Korean connections (my gf happens to be a Su, currently in Seoul). A few years ago, I was fascinated by Lee Sedol’s five-game match with AlphaGo and the wonderful commentary by 9-dan pro Michael Redmond and Chris Garlock. A few months later, and there were even more mindboggling news about self-learning AlphaZero and Chess. We’re living in interesting times indeed.

Cheers!

Blog Entries

Default Re: openSUSE 15.1 presentation slide deck - For all levels Users from never used openSUSE to expert

Quote Originally Posted by unix111 View Post
    Great work, Tony. Kudos!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your other presentation about AlphaZero and your family name make me think about some Korean connections (my gf happens to be a Su, currently in Seoul). A few years ago, I was fascinated by Lee Sedol’s five-game match with AlphaGo and the wonderful commentary by 9-dan pro Michael Redmond and Chris Garlock. A few months later, and there were even more mindboggling news about self-learning AlphaZero and Chess. We’re living in interesting times indeed.

Cheers!
    Thx for the comment, no my ethnicity is not Korean, my surname is about as common as "Smith" in English family names in large parts of Asia...

There is more about AlphaZero's off-shoot on openSUSE if you're interested, the following is my last post in a Forum thread describing AlphaZero's off-shoot lc0 on openSUSE

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...34#post2900134

Through Malcolm and my recent efforts, it's now possible to install the Chess playing program which recently won one of the current World Computer Chess Championships. The chess championship is the proof of concept of a remarkable approach... that a self-learning program without an iota of human instruction or guidance can teach itself how to play better than anything that's been created that is trained by humans.

Yes, it's now easier to install and run on openSUSE than on any other distro today, and it can run either as an ordinary CPU app or a GPU app (requires nVidia or AMD GPUs).

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    There is more about AlphaZero's off-shoot on openSUSE if you're interested, the following is my last post in a Forum thread describing AlphaZero's off-shoot lc0 on openSUSE

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...34#post2900134
    Thank you for the pointer, and thank you so much for your work to make this happen with our distro of choice!
    I will give lc0 a spin and let it loose on my GTX 1050 (»only« 2 GB of graphics memory, but still fun to experiment with).
    Cheers!

Blog Entries

For anyone who uses these slides for their own presentation,

• Currently there is enough content for approx. 2 hrs, including audience Q&A. Future objective is grow this to fit an entire evening (3hrs) with recommendations for how to cut down to 1 ahd 2 hrs.
    • Recommend taking a close look at each screenshot. More often than not, the screenshot isn't a "simple" default, but displays options where important decisions can be made.
    • Objective is for this slide deck to become a pictorial guide for new Users.

Am always open to improvements, this should be a collaboration of Presenters and Users, highlighting what a beginning openSUSE'r should know and do to get installed and set up for whatever they want to do.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Looks nice and clean. Well done, it looks very professional.
    On page 18 there is a typo, 'duriing'.
    On page 27 I don't really understand the statement, "openSUSE really could the means to make Great Stuff".

I could be wrong about this but on page 18 you state "openSUSE encourages su, discourages sudo".
    In the installation 'Create User' section the box is automatically ticked for 'Use this password for System Administrator'.
    I would have presumed that this option enabled by default implied that sudo is the preference. I have always unticked it so i'm not sure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knightron View Post
    Looks nice and clean. Well done, it looks very professional.
    On page 18 there is a typo, 'duriing'.
    On page 27 I don't really understand the statement, "openSUSE really could the means to make Great Stuff".

I could be wrong about this but on page 18 you state "openSUSE encourages su, discourages sudo".
    In the installation 'Create User' section the box is automatically ticked for 'Use this password for System Administrator'.
    I would have presumed that this option enabled by default implied that sudo is the preference. I have always unticked it so i'm not sure.
    Thx for catching those typos and meaningless statements...

Regarding "su" vs "sudo" - It's actually true. If you're coming from another distro, su may be highly restricted or made impossible. On openSUSE, in the Technical Forums we commonly recommend elevating a windowed console using "su" to perform tasks that require elevated permissions for as long as desired, then closing or switching back to a normal User's permissions. During the time the console is configured with elevated permissions, only that can be a target for any malicious activity and hacking such a windowed console would be extremely difficult if not next to impossible. The discussion about this usually takes up a good 5+ minutes as various Users of other distros re-consider what is actually exposed in this case compared to what they normally do.

On the "Create User" screen during an openSUSE Install,
    The "Use this password for System Administrator" is checked by default, which sets up the root and the first User password to be the same... This has little relevance to sudo except that we also configure sudo by default to acquire root level (not actually become root) permissions.
    This is a noteworthy setting because many people (and many distros) consider using the same password for root and any other account is a security problem... but over the years openSUSE has had no reported problems I'm aware of.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

Tony, thanks for the good work !! Impressive job. Would it be possible to use official openSUSE LibreOffice in this presentation? Or export it to .odp or .ppt ?
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knightron View Post
    Personally, I would say that openSUSE is neutral on whether you should use "su" or "sudo". Based on what I see at the forums, I would say that using "su" is more common for openSUSE users, but some folk do use "sudo". Use whichever you prefer.

Yes, and I normally go with that for a fresh install. However, this has nothing to do with "sudo". It is just that the root account is given the same password as the user. If you uncheck the box, there will be a separate prompt for the root password.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Tony, thanks for the good work !! Impressive job. Would it be possible to use official openSUSE LibreOffice in this presentation? Or export it to .odp or .ppt ?
    Since Libreoffice supports HTML, I'll look into it.
    But, as a reminder that currently the slide deck is "live" and can be modified, expanded or fixed and an exported odp would be "frozen."

If an export works as expected, I'll upload to the openSUSE Marketing on github...

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!