Tumbleweed - when native support for Ryzen 5/ Vega 11 architecture ?!

hi all!

I tried to make a live USB OpenSUSE Tumbleweed x64 using the ISO i got from the official site, just last night.

Tried to install it on a desktop PC AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Vega 11 integrated graphics (also with a Nvidia 1050i in it) …but the live installer **hanged **just as it starts to boot off the USB, at the udev … text

Tried to use same USB today, at noon, on a cheap laptop, Asus X507U, an i5 Coffee Lake with integrated HD620 using *same *USB and…Tumbleweed installed like a charm !!!

No more hanging up at the “Starting udev …” text!
It **blitzed **right past it, into the normal GUI setup !

After several failed tests on Ryzen 5 and the succesful test on the i5 Coffee Lake, this proves to me that Tumbleweed does not support Ryzen 5/ Vega 11 architecture!

By contrast, Ubuntu 19 (Disco Django) and Linux Mint 19 Tara both installed flawlessly (and very very fast) on the same Ryzen 5 2400G as above, using same USB stick (obviously, after using it to install Mint, i formated it and put SUSE on it to try and install that…but failed) !

The USB was created using RUFUS 3.5 on a windows 10…but i also experimented with USB creator on Mint 19 (but still failed to install Tumbleweed on Ryzen 5).

QUESTION 1: When will Tumbleweed offer same native support for Ryzen 5/ Vega 11 architecture like Ubuntu/Mint does ?

QUESTION 2: Anyone know any “dirty tricks” to get it to install on RYzen 5?

Thanks

For Ryzen 2700U, bootline must be tweaked with << iommu=soft >> to boot into the installer. This is not only for Tubleweed, but for all Linux ISO images. ThinkPad E585.

Give it a try.

The only thing I see proven is that Hybrid Graphics (AMD GPU + Intel GPU) installation hasn’t had enough QA and/or discoverable documentation to work for you without heroics.

QUESTION 1: When will Tumbleweed offer same native support for Ryzen 5/ Vega 11 architecture like Ubuntu/Mint does ?
Hopefully not very long after someone with your hardware combination reports a bug, as was done recently for suse-prime for Optimus. That someone could be you. It is rare for developers to come to the forums looking for bugs to fix.

QUESTION 2: Anyone know any “dirty tricks” to get it to install on RYzen 5?
If mike_g’s iommu=soft suggestion fails, and textmode or nomodest installation options fail to help, try using an installation cmdline option to specifically enable one GPU, and specifically disable the other GPU. Use the output names from “xrandr --listproviders” or an existing or generated during live media boot the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log where the word(s) “connected” appear, along with the video= e and d option instructions in modedb.txt.

Occasionally, the Tumbleweed installer stalls in the exact same place, bottom of the page. But, when we redo the bootline tweak, splash screen goes back to normal.

Finally, after “only” 10000s tries, the boot got past the “starting udev” and was able to install it.

Then, i used YAST to install nvidia drivers and all is running fine.

After being done, i took the time to read up and it seems the nouveau drivers SUSE uses, are rather bad