Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: System Keyboard Configuration not saved after reboot

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default System Keyboard Configuration not saved after reboot

    Hi,

    I am using openSUSE 15.0. And I am really annoyed on openSUSE 15.0 at the moment.

    I have a swedish keyboard and after each reboot it resets to english keyboard. So everytime I login I have to change keyboard in System Keyboard Configuration back and forth to Swedish again and save it. Then the next time i logout or reboot I have to do this again. The System Keyboard Configuration is not saved after reboot. Its really annoying and makes it unusable for me!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: System Keyboard Configuration not saved after reboot

    Quote Originally Posted by andny View Post
    Hi,

    I am using openSUSE 15.0. And I am really annoyed on openSUSE 15.0 at the moment.

    I have a swedish keyboard and after each reboot it resets to english keyboard. So everytime I login I have to change keyboard in System Keyboard Configuration back and forth to Swedish again and save it. Then the next time i logout or reboot I have to do this again. The System Keyboard Configuration is not saved after reboot. Its really annoying and makes it unusable for me!
    Hi - if you are using Gnome, in the settings app there is a section called "Region and Language". I assume that you've set that properly. But on that same screen, "hidden in plain sight", so to speak, there is a button at the top right labelled "Login Screen". click on that - are the region and keyboard settings different?

    That might be why. Needs to be more obvious IMHO.
    thanks, Patrick

    Linux everywhere.
    ---------------------------
    https://requiredmagic.com

  3. #3

    Default Re: System Keyboard Configuration not saved after reboot

    Quote Originally Posted by pfitzgerald View Post
    Hi - if you are using Gnome, in the settings app there is a section called "Region and Language". I assume that you've set that properly. But on that same screen, "hidden in plain sight", so to speak, there is a button at the top right labelled "Login Screen". click on that - are the region and keyboard settings different?

    That might be why. Needs to be more obvious IMHO.
    Dont really understand what setting you refer to!

    But if I look in Keyboard - System Settings Module => Layouts the English (US) is default even if I have put Swedish on keyboard in Yast!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,968

    Default Re: System Keyboard Configuration not saved after reboot

    Quote Originally Posted by andny View Post
    Dont really understand what setting you refer to!

    But if I look in Keyboard - System Settings Module => Layouts the English (US) is default even if I have put Swedish on keyboard in Yast!
    Please, say that you use this from YaST. That is not obvious to most.

    And didn't you set this at installation? It is one of the very first things you are asked for at installation.
    Henk van Velden

  5. #5

    Default Re: System Keyboard Configuration not saved after reboot

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Please, say that you use this from YaST. That is not obvious to most.

    And didn't you set this at installation? It is one of the very first things you are asked for at installation.
    Off course I put Swedish keyboard during installation! I have only put it in yast! But the configuration is not saved on reboot! So the keyboard get reset everytime you reboot your machine! So in other words it did not work after installation, because it was rebooted.

  6. #6

    Default Re: System Keyboard Configuration not saved after reboot

    I should also say that after the installation Swedish is marked in yast (System Keyboard Configuration), but its not actually active! You have to open the dialog (System Keyboard Configuration) and actually press ok for it to activate. Then if you restart suse again the same thing happens again.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,968

    Default Re: System Keyboard Configuration not saved after reboot

    Hm, maybe worth a bug report.

    The problem is I use English (US) as system keyborad (and also all GUI users use that)., thus I can not confirm.

    Maybe first wait a bit to see if other non English (US) keyboard users come and report their experince.
    Henk van Velden

  8. #8

    Default Re: System Keyboard Configuration not saved after reboot

    Hum, cant you confirm with us keyboard? The easy check is to make the sign / that we use all the time

    if shift + 7 = / then keyboard is not us keyboard. if shift + 7 = & then its us keyboard.

    So basically even if you have set the keyboard to for example swedish in yast and then reboot the us keyboard will still be active. And then check it with shift + 7

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,968

    Default Re: System Keyboard Configuration not saved after reboot

    Quote Originally Posted by andny View Post
    Hum, cant you confirm with us keyboard? The easy check is to make the sign / that we use all the time

    if shift + 7 = / then keyboard is not us keyboard. if shift + 7 = & then its us keyboard.

    So basically even if you have set the keyboard to for example swedish in yast and then reboot the us keyboard will still be active. And then check it with shift + 7
    As most Dutch users, I have a US keyboard and have it configured as such.
    Thus the / is on the lowest row at the far right (before the RightShift) and it shows /
    The & is engraved above the 7 and I can type it with Shift-7.

    You mean that I should reconfigure my system and then try again? Probably in a root terminal (else my KDE config should override, I assume).

    Let me think over it. In any case, I can not reboot the system now as it also runs several services to other sytems in the house.
    Henk van Velden

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,968

    Default Re: System Keyboard Configuration not saved after reboot

    I dis as you suggested.

    After chaning using YaST : Hardware : System Keyboard Layout it changed Shift-7giving /, and a lot of other changes.

    After reboot, this still holds true. I do have problems now with typing Ö -.,;:äåÅ"

    I will change back asap. But my experience shows that your problem is not reproducable on my LEAP 15.0. What makes it probably more difficult to find out what is wrong with your system.
    Last edited by hcvv; 03-May-2019 at 06:48.
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •