Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tumbleweed 20190428 stuck during boot at Assuming write cache: write through

Default Tumbleweed 20190428 stuck during boot at Assuming write cache: write through

Hello,

I was reading about storage-ng and thought it was kind of neat sounding, so I decided to download the latest snapshot of Tumbleweed and install it in an ESXi VM.

The starting ISO was x86_64 net install.

A couple notable points during installation:

I opted for the encryption and entered passcode
    The partition is EXT4 on LVM with snapshots, no separate home, swap sized to RAM
    Scheduler is NOOP

That's about it - the rest I tried to leave pretty default as I was just demoing it

The installation type was KDE Desktop, I turned on SSH and opened the port in firewall

Encryption key prompt comes up and moves past once I have entered the passphrase

I can choose either to boot or advanced boot options

If I choose regular boot I get the stuck result after that one line of text:
    Now when I try to boot it I get stuck at this "[sda2:0:0] assuming write cache: write through..."

If I choose rescue mode boot I appear to be able to boot normally

This VM is not particularly important to me, but I wanted to make sure to report the issue so that devs could explore it. If it's related to ESXi, that's probably not exactly a tiny share of the user population. If it's related to the new storage-ng encryption, I'm sure it's something people want to know about.

Thanks!

Default Re: Tumbleweed 20190428 stuck during boot at Assuming write cache: write through

DO snapshots work on ext4 now?? AFAIK snapper has not worked in the past on ext4 only on BTRFS.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tumbleweed 20190428 stuck during boot at Assuming write cache: write through

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    DO snapshots work on ext4 now?? AFAIK snapper has not worked in the past on ext4 only on BTRFS.
    No, snapshots do not work on ext4.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...a.snapper.html

Says BTRFS or thin-provisioned LVM. It was an option in the installer, not sure why it'd be there if it's inoperable.

Does anyone have any idea why the system won't boot without entering recovery mode?

Edit:

I got the idea from this video of an OpenSUSE dev presentation - here's a screenshot of how they configured their system for the demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0VKUjFAIwo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by averyfreeman View Post
    If I choose regular boot I get the stuck result after that one line of text:
    Now when I try to boot it I get stuck at this "[sda2:0:0] assuming write cache: write through..."
    I'm just commenting on the quoted part.

I do sometimes see that "assuming write cache: write through", but I think I see [sd 2:0:0:0] or similar.

I only see that when I have a USB drive plugged in.

As best I recall, the order is:

Prompt for encryption password
    "assuming write cache" message -- this comes before I have time to enter the password.

I then enter the password anyway (after the "assuming write cache" message, and it is usually accepted and the system boots.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Thanks for the idea. I had already entered my password for Grub so this did not occur to me as a possibility.

I tried entering my password a couple times at the point where the system hung, but I couldn't get any response.

I don't particularly need encryption, I am just testing the newest snapshot, but I thought it would be nice of me to give any bug reports I could.

Is there any sort of log that might be generated at this point? Can dmesg go back to previous boots? If I could get a dmesg, or any other log, from this portion of the boot process, I'd be glad to upload it to bugzilla et. al.

The problem is, it appears to be before any sort of logs are being generated. Please correct me if that is erroneous.

Thank you
    Avery

Blog Entries

Is there any sort of log that might be generated at this point?
    That's a problem for issues early in boot when no disk is yet available to write logs.

Can dmesg go back to previous boots?
    No, it is only for the current boot. But it is stored in memory, so it can contain information about problems that occur before disks are available. However, if the boot is not successful, it is lost.

If you are using a virtual machine, then there might be an option to take screenshots of early boot problems. At least I can do that with KVM virtual machines.

Oh!

I left the VM on for a few hours and came back to it and it got two steps further. Now it says the following dmesg statements:

[sad] assuming drive cache: write through
    Out of memory: Kill process 403 (plymouthd) score 907 or sacrifice child
    Killed process 403 (plymouthd) total-vm:1848256kb, anon-rss:1843676kb, file-rss:2500k, shmem-rss:0kb

Does anyone think if I give the VM more memory it might load? Looks like plymouthd is running out of memory during boot, but could be indicative of another issue, I suppose...

Edit: I threw 4096MB at it and got the same result...
    Last edited by averyfreeman; 03-May-2019 at 05:16. Reason: more info

Blog Entries

Looks like plymouthd is running out of memory during boot, but could be indicative of another issue, I suppose...
    Try "plymouth.enable=0" as a kernel parameter on the boot line.

plymouth.enable=0 on the boot line worked.

Thanks, that was most helpful. KDE also loaded as normal, AFAIK. I will edit my grub.cfg to reflect the change.

Do you think I should I submit a bug to bugzilla with my dmesg?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast